Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Sitting While On the Job (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Sitting While On the Job
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 02:27 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Splitting this off from the "Signs You've Been Spending Too Much
Time in Box" thread because 1) that thread was meant to be light heartened and got way too serious, and 2) this deals with more than just box.

Okay, so I was browsing the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Developement website the other day to refresh myself on various labor laws in Wisconsin when I stumbled acros this little gem. As it turns out it is ILLEGAL not to provide someone with a chair for when they are not working. As the summary of the statute says:
quote: DWD Website
Section 103.16 Wisconsin Statutes requires that manufacturing, mechanical, and commercial establishments provide seats for workers when they are not actively engaged in work duties.
While there is always something to clean in concessions, box and ticket takers most certainly have down periods. Now granted non-compliance carriers only a $10-$30 fine per violation and no one is really likely to catch a place like a movie theatre breaking this law anyway but I am the kind of person that believes in following the rules no matter the chance of being caught. The law is the law.

So for the rest of you, best check up on state/federal laws and reconsider your policies for ticket takers and cashiers sitting.

|  IP: Logged

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 02:40 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it goes beyond law. I don't think there's any reason at all that a concession worker or an usher should not be able to get a chance to sit down for a few minutes every couple of hours or so. Even if floor workers at movie theaters have fairly easy jobs, I see nothing wrong with getting a chance to sit down out of the view of customers during downtime.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 03:25 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes, that's what breaks are for.

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 03:58 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of jobs don't give official breaks though unless you're a minor.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2004 04:40 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well let's derail this one a bit too.

i suppose most theaters have break rooms where it's possible to relax/eat out of sight of the punters. we don't have that. i don't like to bring food into the booth (though others do), and while i try to eat during off-times it often happens that i'm still eating when a show lets out. whether i'm in the lobby or concession area, it feels just a bit wrong. unavoidable, but undesireable. does anyone else have this problem?

carl

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2004 06:22 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
California and Nevada have fairly strict laws about breaks for ALL employees. This is mainly due to the ULTRA LIBERAL mentality of these states. Before I get stern lecture about bringing up politics on this thread I will get off my soapbox now.

As for the chair thing, the statute sounds like it was written a bit vague for interpretation. To me, it sounds like a way to make sure the employer is providing a comfortable environment for breaktimes besides just providing a breakroom.

Here is my argument...
Maybe I am a bit old fasioned here, but if you are not on break, then you should be working. The last time I checked, theatres regardless of chains, ALWAYS have something to be cleaned, fixed, organized, checked on and what have you. Therefore, no chairs need to be provided for anybody at any floor level position including box office. On a side note, managers may use them if they are doing any paperwork or computer work during down times. Other than that, they should be out on the floor making their presence known to customers and staff and helping where needed.

Besides all that crap, chairs and stools being used by staff members on the floor looks ghetto when it is busy. Hell, you might as well give the employee gum to smack on while helping customers from a chair. To me, that's how bad it looks. However, at the expense of sound hypocritical, I do provide stools for my box office cashiers but it is understood that when there are customers coming to the box, they need to hop to attention and stand for all transactions.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-17-2004 07:32 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that monitoring the door is part of the ticket-taking job description and anyone assigned to that duty is actively working the entire time they are in this duty. Until you hear of a case where the gub'ment or a court says otherwise. Does every state have a law like this?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2004 09:29 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For referrence, the exact statute:
quote:
103.16 Seats for employees; penalty. Every employer employing employees in any manufacturing, mechanical or mercantile establishment in this state shall provide suitable seats for its employees, and shall permit the use of those seats by its employees when the employees are not necessarily engaged in the active duties for which they are employed. Any employer who violates this section may be fined not less than $10 nor more than $30 for each offense.
Vague perhaps but if the matter of chairs was being pursued under a labor investigation (admittably its not likely it would be investigated on its own, say as part of some other allegation(s)) I'm not sure what the DWD would consider 'engaged in active duties for which they are employed.' You'd probably need to look into case law to see how the courts have ruled on this in the past.

I agree with the philosophy of when you're not on break you should be working. Problem with ticket taking is if you wander too far from the post you end up with un-torn tickets or sneak-ins. Box office needs to have someone in there at all times for obvious reasons and while on a busy day with multiple cashiers I can pull a few to help mop the booth or some other chore during downtime when there's only one person scheduled there there's not much to do. Cleaning the box is about a 20 minute job at most (cleaning counters, glass, sweeping, mopping).

And for the record it is my philosophy that unless the law is more restrictive an employee should be provided with a 15 minute break for a shift of less than six hours. Over six it is company policy to give them a half-hour break.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-17-2004 12:41 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day when I ran my theater, my policy was this...

We all work our tails off until the set is complete, then we clean and prepare for the next set...

THEN WE HAVE TIME FOR A BREAK...

Since no one would be in the lobby area for the most part, we would all pull up a chair or whatever, ciao down on a delivered pizza, have a coke, share our stories of the set and reminisce on past ones and crazy customers, and then fifteen or twenty minutes later, we get to posts and start clearing out the theaters and selling tickets and concessions.. and then start over again...

It worked so well, I had nearly no turnover in three years, just six people in all, and only because they went on to college or whatever. The respect that we had was like a very close family, and we all had expectations of each other, instead of iron fist management. We made lots of money, I shared bonuses with the crew, and it was a fun time...

But that theater came to an end when a megaplex opened up one mile away. Damn traterous customers!! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

Ciao [Big Grin]

Dave

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-17-2004 09:47 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have to remind you what happened when Costanza gave the clothing store guard a chair!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-17-2004 10:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think bus drivers are lazy. How dare they sit on the job! All bus drivers are lazy asses!

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 08:37 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe I'm new-fashioned but I think people should be able to sit for a few minutes at least every 2-3 hours, if not more. There is always stuff to be done, but I'd rather do it after giving myself a minutes to rest my feet and head.

Going on break, at least where I work, entails going upstairs and clocking out; a waste of time if you just want to sit for a minute.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 10:36 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I stated in another post re: box office chairs & standing..

If you are between shows and there are no customers present or walking up to or around the box office area, it's ok for the cashier to be seated. AS LONG AS THEY HAVE PREPARED THEMSELVES FOR THE NEXT SHOW.

I can't stand having a cashier who sits on the butt, doesnt' check anything them runs out of paper in the debit machine & ticket printer at 6:50pm. Oh, and they generally ask for chnage at the same time.

Yeah, they deserve to sit!

Concession employees sitting is a no-brainer. There is far more to clean/fill/restock in the concession stand so they have much less time to sit anyway...

Doorpersons seated? Never. Unless a medical condition mandates it. I do allow my guys/gals to take breaks as long as someone else covers the spot for them. They can do this between sets, every show.

The operator? Yeah, he sits on his butt all day. Don't you know, we just have to push the PLAY button.... [Roll Eyes]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 12:17 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid fucking teh ghey forum reloaded and erased what I was typing, so here we go again:
---

When I've been working for more than 3-4 hours, in booth and helping the floor staff, I HAVE to sit. Even if for 5 minutes or so. I don't have any medical conditions and consider myself an able-bodied young man, but when you've been on your feet for more than three hours, they hurt! And I'm walking around all the time, box and door people are standing in one spot which can become even more painful.

My mother worked in an assembley line for over 10 years and had to stand in one spot on a hard floor for 4+ hours at a time. Now, when she is on her feet for more than an hour straight, she gets leg and back pains. She was paid well, but to do that kind of damage to yourself for minimum wage is downright blasphemous.

Here's what OSHA says on the topic. This is geared towards grocery store checkouts, but most of it applies to box office as well:
quote:
Consider using checkstands designed with an adjustable sit/stand or lumbar support against which cashiers can lean.

Provide foot rests for cashiers. Alternately resting the feet helps to reduce fatigue.

Provide adequate toe space (at least 4 inches) at the bottom of the workstation. Toe space allows cashiers to move closer to the checkstand, decreasing reaching requirements.

Use footrests and anti-fatigue mats in areas where workers stand for prolonged periods. Standing on anti-fatigue mats, as compared to bare floors, provides a noticeable improvement in comfort.

Place keyboards on supports that adjust in height, horizontal distance and tilt to keep work within the preferred work zone.

Adjust the checkstand height to match the cashier's waist height, or use a platform.

If Carmike Cinemas allowed me to sit for 5 minutes for every 3 hours of my double-shift instead of constantly "finding stuff for me to do" perhaps I wouldn't have been so exhausted to the point of DROPPING DEAD FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES in the middle of the auditorium and being awoken by EMS. [Mad]

Which leads me to another point. There ARE times when there's nothing to do. Those that claim there's "always something to be done" are simply looking for inane tasks to assign to the staff so as not to waste precious payroll. One of the dumbest things I was asked to do in my early years was to wipe off the non-existent fingerprints from the payphones that haven't been used since the previous day. And I had to stand while doing it!

quote: Christopher Duvall
California and Nevada have fairly strict laws about breaks for ALL employees. This is mainly due to the ULTRA LIBERAL mentality of these states.
Better than the ULTRA FASCIST states that allow employers to work the employees for slave-wages and bust up Unions. "Man, this theater would be SO MUCH more profitable if it weren't for these damn employees!"

quote: Carl Martin
i suppose most theaters have break rooms where it's possible to relax/eat out of sight of the punters. we don't have that.
You should look into this. I couldn't find it in time for this posting, but there's another OSHA document that clearly states that an Employer must provide an adequate BREAK ROOM for employees. Apparently, some employers believe this simply means to set up a folding card table with a chair next to the soda bibs. But that's the soda room then, not the break room, right?

I am flabberghasted (did I just use that word?) that most people simply don't care about their employees' well-being. But I suppose you must look at it from the view of the Corporation: It's not a person, it's a production unit. If the production unit isn't producing according to our productivity goal, or if the production unit's maintenance cost (read: wage) is too high, that production unit should be discarded in favor of a more productive, and hopefully cheaper one.

=TMP=

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2004 02:27 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,

I must say.. the more you post, the more bitter you have become.

If you worked to the point of passing out, then I suggest ou have blood tests done. I see no vaild reasoning behind your passing out other than reasons outside of the workplace. There is nothing, I repeat NOTHING, in a theatre that is so demanding that you'd have to work to the point of passing out. Any manager with 1/2 a brain, and I know, I'm giving it a lot by stating that, allows their employees brief periods to walk away from their post for a bathroom break, smoke break, quick snack break, or actual mandated break (rest period).

I've said enough about this subject. Either you get it, or you don't, and I'm not necesasrily referring to you Thomas.

CIAO, as Dave would say.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: