Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Refund Policy For Lost Sound? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Refund Policy For Lost Sound?
Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2004 10:42 PM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently we had a power outage for less than a minute but it caused
the sound in all my theaters to got knocked to non-sync so the theaters had picture but no sound.We have 9 screens but 6 booths scattered across the theater.So I got the sound back up in 1 to 4 minutes depending on the screen.
So some people wanted refunds for missing 4 minutes of Fahrenheit but then some people walked out of Spiderman who missed maybe a minute and heard the others and also wanted refunds.We ended up giving everyone passes.
But my question is what is your policy on lost sound, refunds/passes and how long does it have to be out to warrant either one.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2004 10:45 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's really no policy on how long the sound/picture/whatever has to be out. If a customer requests a raincheck as compensation for any presentation interuption, I will give them one.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2004 11:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.

When we were installing our DTS, we were without surrounds for 2 days. We put a sign at the boxoffice offering refunds if anyone wasn't satisfied. Nobody asked for a refund, but we did have a few people who saw the sign and decided to come back when the sound system was up and running.

Kyle Watkins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 12:14 AM      Profile for Kyle Watkins   Email Kyle Watkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You got a back up on your proj why they did not shut off with the power.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-16-2004 12:35 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the sound drops out for any length of time, even just a few seconds, the customer is entitled to a refund or pass.

quote: Kyle Watkins
You got a back up on your proj why they did not shut off with the power.
Um.. I think I get what you're asking.

I've had this happen before with an outage that lasted under a second. The outage was so short that the projectors kept running, however, some of the E-Lights blinked on real qick, and one of our houses dumped out to non sync. So my quess is that their projectors do not have back up as you suggest. The power outage was so short that the projectors just sailed through them.

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 12:43 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean backup? The power loss caused the cinema processor to switch to non-sync and it stayed there till i put it back into optical or digital. The outage was short no more than a second or two But the projector just keep going and didn't fault and the lamps shut off but reignited.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-16-2004 12:48 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right. Thats exactly what i said. That you DONT have a power backup for your projector as Mr. Watkins asks about (I think) in the post abouve mine.

Same exact thing happened to me. Your outage must have been longer than mine, because we only lost sound in one theatre. The rest of our CP-500s stayed in digital, and our DTS all droped to analog.

We had far more passes over the brief "blink" of the e-lights.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-16-2004 01:39 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Every sound rack should have a UPS to help protect against power problems.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-16-2004 02:54 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, the climate sure has changed from when I started working in theatres!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-16-2004 06:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have started putting UPS battery backups on:

*Sound processor
*Automation
*Platters

Now I just need to find a dimmer that I like which I can power the control circuit off of the UPS and the load on a seperate circuit and I'll be set. Power goes out? No biggie. The shows will automatically resume exactly where they were when the power is restored. [thumbsup]

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 12:00 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realize there is nothing you can do to prevent power outages, but the customers did not get the best presentation. I would give out passes before anyone asked me. You can make a lot more money being nice to people than to try to pass the buck to the power company.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the presentation wasn't 100% then it should be common sense to give out passes. Customers come into the theater expected the best quality. If you did not give them the quality that they expected then they are entitled to a pass. Heck, there just going to come back and buy more concessions anyways and that's what gaurantees that I get a check each week.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-16-2004 02:49 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a customer, I would expect to be offered passes if the sound or picture outage was more than a few seconds, such that I missed significant picture continuity.

Whether I would demand passes would depend on what I missed. If the outage occured during a scene critical to understanding/enjoying the movie, I would want to see the movie again. If it occured during the trailers or closing credits, I might let it go.

The investment in having a UPS for the critical components Brad mentioned would be worth it, especially for theatres that often suffer "burps" in their electrical service. The UPS also conditions the power, eliminating troublesome transients that can throw digital electronics into a "tizzy".

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-16-2004 03:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPS on the platter strikes me as a very good idea indeed, not least because if some issue caused the platter to fail while the projector kept on running (e.g. a breaker tripping when it shouldn't do), you could end up with a pretty nasty wrap.

quote: Mike Blakesley
When we were installing our DTS, we were without surrounds for 2 days. We put a sign at the boxoffice offering refunds if anyone wasn't satisfied.
Personally I'd say that was asking for trouble, because you're bound to get some jokers who are going to watch the film and then try it on for a refund by claiming that the absence of surrounds affected their experience. In the absence of a sign, then if anyone really does notice that the surrounds are down then I wouldn't hesitate to explain the situation and then offer a refund or pass; but I'd be reluctant to advertise the fact and thereby actually invite people to request one.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-16-2004 03:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the preferred model of UPS for a sound rack? I assume that it would only be powering the processor and any digital units, correct?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: