Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Grosses for Spider-Man 2?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Grosses for Spider-Man 2??
Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any guesses? I'm guessing it'll be huge.

It has a 100% 'Tomatometer' score from the critics (for whatever that's worth).

If it doesn't have a Kirsten Dunst 'wet' scene (or better) I'm thinking it'll bomb .. with me, at least. [Big Grin]

Ron Yost

|  IP: Logged

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 07:15 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure it will do great for the first week(end). The question is: What kind of legs will it have after the 4th of July weekend?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-28-2004 09:15 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't normally get into the "predict the numbers" threads, but I expect that this will be huge. Probably the movie of the summer. It has a good trailer, a built-in audience, and "word on the street" is that it is a genuinely good film. Let's hope so. I'm running a one-off free show of it on Saturday which will, of course, be a full house. Should be fun.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-29-2004 12:35 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our local priest asked me at church yesterday if we were getting it this week, and he NEVER comes to movies, so that tells me it's gonna be a big one.

Robert L. Fischer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 02:44 AM      Profile for Robert L. Fischer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it will take the biggest opening weekend of the year, but fall short of Shrek 2 and land somewhere closer to the Passion of the Christ for the total gross.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 10:22 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick!! Theaters should raise box office prices to boost the gross!!! [evil]

Oops, too late! Already done. AMC's here went up to $9 [Roll Eyes]

=TMP=

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 10:32 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got finish installing a new 15-screen theatre in Alabama, they are opening with Spider-man on 12 of them.. [thumbsup] First showing is at 12:01am tonight [Eek!]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-29-2004 10:56 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it will be a disappointment if it doesnt gross eleventy billion dollars.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 11:27 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After screening it last night, no Kirsten "wet" scene, but good ... uh ... ?nipplage? just the same, heh.

- Mike

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-29-2004 02:16 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basing the movie numbers on wet nipple scenes? Come back to the table when you finish your spinach son.

This film is a blockbuster in every sense of the word. It will kill shleck 2. It is opening on a wed and will probably break the all time record for an opening five day weekend and single day opening and three day as well, and put it in the top three grossing films of all time.

The critics have already had thier screenings, as well as the geek crowd that will pan the film as well. It is bieng called the greatest super hero film of all time by all of them.

Hold on to your socks people, it is going to be huge.

Ciao

Dave

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 02:31 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert L. Fischer
but fall short of Shrek 2 and land somewhere closer to the Passion of the Christ for the total gross.

I am pretty confident this will be closer to Shrek 2 numbers than POTC(Pirates of the Carrib or Passion of Christ, take your pick) numbers. Roughly putting it, Shrek 2 may end up around 450M. I see Spiderman 2 closer to that mark than the 370M POTC put up. Spiderman2 could very well be the top grosser of the year.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 05:18 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No offense, Dave, but I'm not your son. [Smile]

My 'wet' comment was said at least partially in jest .. but, you don't think such scenes help sell tickets? Of course they do and they do affect the numbers.

Not being a real 'superhero' fan, I'm not real big on watching some guy flying around in a silly tight suit for a couple of hours -without- a little balancing female 'exposure' once in a while. Too bad he doesn't get laid in the film (or does he?) .. that's what he needs. Probably sell more tickets, too. [evil]

Ron Yost

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-29-2004 09:55 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Yost
No offense, Dave, but I'm not your son.

My 'wet' comment was said at least partially in jest .. but, you don't think such scenes help sell tickets? Of course they do and they do affect the numbers.

Not being a real 'superhero' fan, I'm not real big on watching some guy flying around in a silly tight suit for a couple of hours -without- a little balancing female 'exposure' once in a while. Too bad he doesn't get laid in the film (or does he?) .. that's what he needs. Probably sell more tickets, too.

Ron Yost

WOW!!! Such stress and anger! [Mad] And for such a wee tot like yourself! [Roll Eyes]

I know more about movies then most people can dream to know. The only movie I have never seen is Ladybugs, but Brad says it is my kind of film.

Wet nipple scenes sell tickets but not in the type of movie you see before you. What sells here is that it is freakin spiderman! Wet nipples or not, people go to see spiderman, not mary janes wet nipples. They are a nice add on and people like that stuff, but it is not what is bringing in the bucks.

And historically, wet nipple scenes have not truly added to the overall box office take of the top movies of all time. I saw spiderman three times, and each time loved the wet nipple scene, and sure it was discussed by all that are wet nipple deficient, but it was not what pulled people into the theaters. If it were, the previews would be nothing but wet nipples and the spiderman logo. It would sell tickets, but not that many considering most people that go are young children attached to thier parents, and if this is what they were to expect they would not go.

Anyway I am off the point. I just wanted to see how many times I could use the term wet nipple scene in a single post. That and to say not to get too upset over me using the term...

son...

Yeah, I know Im not your father. with that attitude I am glad I am not, cause I would have to do a through the computer virtual slap across the face, the same I would do to my son for that kind of off the cuff flippant remark, if you were my son, which you arent of course, wet nipple scene.

It is a term used by old farts like myself, wet nipple scene, to denigrate people who we think are immature, wet nipple scene, compared to us, so we put them down by calling them, wet nipple scene, son, wet nipple scene, sport, wet nipple scene, scooter, etc., wet nipple scene.

And ask anyone here, I am one of THE MOST cynical and sarcastic people around, wet nipple scene. Post a picture and join the family, we aren't that bad to hang around, wet nipple scene.

Ciao

Cave [evil]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 11:57 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so HOW old are you Dave?

BTW, we had over 100 people for our 12:01 am show tonight which is the most ever to a midnight show. I think this one will easily break some major records set by the original.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 11:58 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oopsie, sorry for the double post...refresh problem

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: