Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Pre-Show ads on DLP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pre-Show ads on DLP
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 02:11 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last two films I've seen at AMC have moved their NCN pre-show ads onto their DLP projector. Is this a growing trend, or is just AMC? I don't think it worked very well, b/c the projectionist had to turn off the DLP, lower the house lights, and then kick on the projector... very poor presentation. Is anyone else doing this?

|  IP: Logged

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 04:41 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Entertainment has had their digital pre show for over a year now... AMC is behind in the times. [Razz]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-28-2004 07:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um...are we talking about a DLP cinema projector or a common business presentation projector? Has anyone observed commercials ahead of a film presention being played from one of the big machines?

The typical Regal house is equipped with a basic 3 chip LCD projector, not DLP.

Are you saying DLP when you simply mean a video projector in general of undetermined technology?

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 07:37 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm talking about your standard, run-of-the-mill, leave-all-kinds-of-digital-artifacts, business-class, powerpoint-lovin' projector. Maybe a little better, but it certainly wasn't a three chip LCD, 20,000 lumen powerhouse, that's for sure. It looked terrible.

I didn't think the Fantanas could get any worse until I saw them coming from that crappy digital projector... ugh.

Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 09:48 PM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure Regal uses the Christie L6, a 5200 ANSI lumen LCD projector. Maybe the Regal people can verify this. Does anyone know what kind of video projector AMC is utilizing for their pre-show advertising and alternative content?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-28-2004 10:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC is using Sanyo LCD projectors. I want to say the model is XT41, but that's just from memory.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 10:44 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal is using the Christie L6.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-29-2004 12:33 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple of photos of the Regal/Christie setup in this photo set.

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 07:13 AM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Dan is confusing DLP and LCD. LCD is the lower-end which is what Regal and AMC are using for pre-feature. Regal using the Christie L6 (dual lamp) and AMC the Sanyo XP46 (single lamp) - both are XGA being letter-boxed to 576x1024.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 07:27 AM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've since spoken to the manager at this particular AMC, and he informed me that there were some automation problems with the new LCD projectors this weekend, but everything is hunky-dory now.

How does one go about setting up automation with a LCD?

[ 06-29-2004, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Dan Chilton ]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2004 10:18 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there is an automation hooked up to the LCD projector. At the Regals, I've seen shows start RIGHT when the 20 ends, at other times, we were sitting in silence to a frozen image, "Your feature presentation will begin shortly..." for up to 5 minutes. It's all up to the operator.

Regal! Are you listening?!? Animate that last frame and add some cheezy background music to it to ease the tension! [thumbsup]

=TMP=

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-29-2004 08:00 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "up to 5 minute wait" is usually the result of more than one show starting at the same time. Once I had to start 5 show at 7:00. By the time the last show got on screen, it was 7:07 and the two 7:05 shows were late! I had to literally run between projectors1 Recently, the people who select the showtimes have gotten better at this, and I rarely see more than two starts at a given time now.

The 2wenty is not conected to the automation in a way wich would allow it to interact with the film based portion of the show. It is, however, connected in such a way that when the operator presses start, The 2wenty puts the L6 into "sleep" mode and the computer logs the actual start time.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2004 11:20 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the use of the computer logging the start time? To adjust the 20 accordingly automatically, or to have reasons to fire projectionists for starting the movie(s) late? [Big Grin]

=TMP=

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-30-2004 12:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good question. And wouldn't it make more sense just to have the computer start the film automation by itself?

Better yet, it could check the position of the failsafe (say) five minutes before the scheduled start time and sound a "not threaded" alarm to alert the operator. At showtime, it would then use some sort of serial interface to close a relay which would start the film.

In any case, I still haven't seen one of these setups. All the theatres around here either show curtains/blank screen (the "good" ones) or 35mm slides (the "corporate" ones).

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-30-2004 02:44 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) The logger exist for exactly the opposite reason. It is there to ensure that the projectionnist doesn't start the show early, cutting off advertisrs. They have not, AFAIK, ever used the log to terminate someone for being o late. The worst that could happen is that someon could get written up if they make a habbit out of starting the show early.

2) Nooooo! I completely dissagree with the idea that the twenty should ever have any control over the film portion. The projectionist should always be around when the show starts. Even though I thread in frame, and always have good focus without needing to adjust after starting, I think not being able to run the show yourself is just bad showmanship. Initially, they wanted to hook in the 2wenty to the lighting, so that the lights could be dimmed for the 2wenty. I also did not like this idea. When I'm in the booth, I want maximum control over everything. I'll dim the lights. I'll open out the masking. I'm in control of the presentation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: