Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » extra security for Fahrenheit 9/11 this WKND? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: extra security for Fahrenheit 9/11 this WKND?
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 05:12 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are any of you guys adding security for Fahrenheit 9/11 this weekend? After hearing about theatres getting bomb threats and other threats, it may not be a bad idea.
I know of a local theatre that will have an armed police officer in every show for the weekend.

Watching the movie in a sold out house tonight, I can see why security may be necessary. The patrons were so pumped up after the show. They were so excited and lively. They wanted to talk to one-another & spread their opinions all around.

The people handing out flyers would drive me nuts!

You guys planning anything extra for it?

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-24-2004 06:40 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Nate Lehrke
They wanted to talk to one-another & spread their opinions all around.
And this needs an armed Police officer? [Confused]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-24-2004 07:30 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's America, Stephen.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 08:20 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The owner of our chain faxed us a memo on what employees are to say to anyone upset over our booking of the film. In a nutshell it says that no one is forcing anyone to see the film, and the people who are seeing it are paying customers, so they get treated with just as high of a standard as any other patron. Everyone has the choice of what movie to see, and it would be un-American to deny anyone that choice.

I haven't heard of any AMC, Carmike or Regal cinemas booking this film in Minneapolis this weekend, just three of our Muller Family Theaters, Kerasotes, Landmark's Lagoon, and Mann's Maple Grove.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 08:37 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike's Oakdale Stadium 20 has booked it (showtimes) as have we (Oakwood 12 in Eau Claire, WI).

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 10:11 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we will open Fahrebheit 9/11 soon, but not this weekend - we'll start playing it July 2nd. We're not anticipating problems with the crowd, in fact many of the 'regulars' had been inquiring when/if we would play this one. At most, we're expecting to have a nearly full to sold-out auditorium for at least a handful of shows, with people 'glad that this movie is playing somewhere'. [Smile]

Of course, just in case, I've got my standard response to the 'Why the hell would this film get played?' kind of question: 'I don't make the movies, I just run them.' [thumbsup]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-24-2004 11:27 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark has 1 print of 9/11 opening here Friday. It's also opening at the area's only arthouse, The Bijou Cinemas.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 02:01 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
It's America, Stephen.
Some of our mega-plex theatres here in The Bay Area have ARMED security, doing walkthroughs in the auditoriums. It's a little oppressive, but I tell you, nobody's actin' up in the theatres anymore... [Smile]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 04:50 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I see protesters at the theater, I will have no problem engaging in a debate. I will tell them that they have every right to appeal to us not to watch it, but have no right to limit what a theater can show because they will be intruding on my right to access to information(or disinformation).

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin, thanks. As I wrote that post, I had Oakdale in my mind as a possibility. I guess that covers every end of the Twin Cities metro area.

Today, I learned that we had an older lady call our theater a few days ago to congratulate us on playing it. All we've had for publicity was five trailers (on prints of Stepford Wives and Day After Tomorrow) and a single one-sheet in our lobby. People have been calling all week to find out when advance ticketing starts for it, too.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 07:00 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are other Minneapolis area bookings. According to my booker, AMC's Centennial Lakes and Mall of America theaters will both be playing it this weekend.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 03:17 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe someone could correct me if I am wrong:

It seems that no Regal Cinema or Muvico Theater is playing this film.

Is this true in anyone's area?

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 04:32 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal is playing it...

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 04:34 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis:
According to the info here in Seattle, only Loewe's Cineplex and Landmark theatres are playing the film. I believe there's 6 runs.
Very interesting.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 07:22 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal's Shadowood 16, a local art house, is playing it starting today. Remember, this is a limited release. I don't know about other chains, but it seems as far as Regal goes, only the theaters that generally play art product are getting it. At least for now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: