Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What the #$*! Do We Know?

Author Topic: What the #$*! Do We Know?
Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-23-2004 03:24 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody shown or seen the film "What the F*ck Do We Know? http://www.whatthebleep.com/

What did you think of the film? How did it do in your theatre?

|  IP: Logged

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 03:01 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We (www.pickfordcinema.org) ran What the Bleep for a weekend, then held it over for an extra week because it kept selling out. It ran off of a DVD though, i'm not sure if there are film prints of it out there or not. Most people really liked it and bring back friends to see it again. Some people hated it because they felt like they were being sold on a new religion and are perfectly happy with their current beliefs. Then again, those kinds of people can't seem to be exposed to new ideas without feeling vulnerable and defensive.

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 12:42 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a theological stand point it is certainly not Christian, but is New Age.
Regards.
John S.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 12:47 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Wilbert
It ran off of a DVD though
Wow! If i was at a theatre and discovered the film I paid good money for was being shown off a dvd and their little "movie ads" machine, I'd be in the aisles screaming! Then I'd round up all the audience and storm the boxoffice for a mass refund. hehe [thumbsup]

danny

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 04:33 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're a small, 90 seat non-profit venue that runs mostly film, but we do get the occasional DVD, MiniDV, or Beta release booked. There are usually some complaints about picture quality (especially on miniDV). We never have people asking for a refund though. Our audience is very supportive of our non-profit efforts and appreciates the variety of movies that we are able to book. For 'what the bleep,' you can either watch it off of a DVD, or not watch it.

-Adam

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 06:10 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually, there are film prints. however, after seeing it, i can say definitively that the best option is not seeing it at all.

i have seen thousands of films. this is bar none the worst.

carl

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 03:23 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why is that carl? Is it because you don't believe that Physics can reveal the workings of the universe as much or more than theology? Or was it because of the way the "story" really got in the way of what would have been an interesting documentary?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-09-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

echo( ('#$*!'=='F*ck' ? 'Yep' : 'Nope' ) );

Nope

hmm [Roll Eyes]

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2004 11:40 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay, I don't know what the #$*! the above post says, but the official pronunciation is 'bleep'. Not sure if 'bleep' is a substitute for f--- or hell. Given the message of the movie, I'd wager that they didn't mean 'hell'.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2004 12:30 AM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a computer nerd post.

Translated to approximate english:

if "#$*!" is the same as "F*ck" then say "Yep", otherwise say "Nope".

It came out as "Nope", therefore "#$*!" does not mean "F*ck". Though quite how it got emboldened is a mystery...

Although I recognise the general format of the (ternary) statement, I dont know what language its in.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2004 03:32 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why is that carl? Is it because you don't believe that Physics can reveal the workings of the universe as much or more than theology?
on the contrary.

Or was it because of the way the "story" really got in the way of what would have been an interesting documentary?
well, that laughably inept story did interfere with the mindnumbingly pseudoscientific interview segments. fortunately that horrendous new age music almost drowned them both out. but there's really no excuse for the protracted masturbatory computer animation sequences.

if you seriously want to defend this dreck, post a review in the reviews forum and i'll respond. that's what i should have done in the first place, but i see so many films i can't contemplate reviewing them all there. only when provoked....

carl

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-10-2004 07:16 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the #$*! are you guys talking about?!? [Big Grin]

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 08-10-2004 03:47 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We played it for four nights and it did better each night. It's been picked up by Samuel Goldwyn/IDP who's going to continue the release with additional prints and marketing. Contact Michael Silberman at 212.367.9435. I wanted to play it again in September, but they're already tight for prints and I may not be able to get a print until November.

I didn't "love" the film, but its story line, structure and the "food for thought" factor makes it an interesting and provocative film. It will bring in a combo of new agers and those who like more than just mindless entertainment. It's also got a very interesting soundtrack, making the best use of surrounds of any film I've listened to.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2004 03:03 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film was a phemonon in Portland and up in Washington. They sent us a press kit and a DVD. We watched it and decided that it was the biggest piece of crap we had ever seen. Ky wondered why they had ever given Marli Matlin an Oscar. Ky chose not to show the film. It may have been a mistake but we are full of product this summer and we can afford to skip a couple.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2004 02:01 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this at the UA in Berkeley last night. Crowd was really into it. There's definitely a lot of Word Of Mouth spreading around about this film. The auditorium (one of their larger downstairs ones) was 75% full on a THURSDAY! The theatres that have booked this and are currently playing it are certainly cashing in!!! I find it funny Ian that you and Ky showed Passion, but not this one... Marin County seems to me to be an ideal demographic for this film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: