Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Piracy Reward... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Piracy Reward...
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2004 02:06 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm turning everyone in!!!!

[Wink]

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040622/media_nm/film_piracy_dc_3

quote:
Entertainment - Reuters Industry

Hollywood Offers $500 Bounty for Movie Bootleggers

Tue Jun 22, 4:43 AM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters Industry to My Yahoo!

By Nicole Sperling

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The U.S. movie industry is enlisting theater employees to help combat piracy, offering a reward of up to $500 for every person they catch illegally recording films and report to the police.

The Anti-Camcording Rewards Program was unveiled Monday by the Motion Picture Assn. of America (MPAA), which represents the major studios, and the National Association of Theater Owners (NATO (news - web sites)).

Camcording has become a very potent source of piracy. A great majority of the films that show up on the Internet for download are a result of camcorders, according to MPAA spokesman Matt Grossman.

Typically, according to the MPAA, movies are filmed by camcorder during the first few days of their U.S. release, then distributed in digital form worldwide on file-sharing networks and other online outlets. Overseas labs then use the pirated films to create illegal DVDs, which are distributed en masse on street corners around the world.

In 2003, the MPAA seized 52 million discs worldwide with an estimated cost of $3.5 billion.

The MPAA is funding the program. The reward amount is up to the MPAA's discretion and is based on several factors, such as whether the suspect was apprehended and the timing of the piracy in relation to the movie's release.

"Theater employees are increasingly vigilant about individuals who surreptitiously set up camcorders in their theaters," NATO president John Fithian said. "This program will give every theater worker added incentive to take action against pirates and help protect our industry from this scourge."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

[ 06-23-2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dennis Benjamin
A great majority of the films that show up on the Internet for download are a result of camcorders, according to MPAA spokesman Matt Grossman
Thats funny. All the movies I download seem to be screeners. I need to try harder.

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2004 02:12 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a reward for turning in those selling the pirated movies on dvd? With cap code they should be able to trace where it came from.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-22-2004 03:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
$3.5 billion and they offer $500, eh? Oh yeah. That and the fact that it's the studio screeners that is the REAL problem!!! [evil] Although I am firmly against piracy, all these constant attacks and insults toward theater personnel really makes me want to start renting out tripods at the concession stand.

When is that old coot Valenti going to retire so we can get someone in there with a brain?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-22-2004 08:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS! Double post.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-22-2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to support Brad entirely on this one. He is 100% correct! [thumbsup]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-22-2004 08:19 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
...old coot Valenti...
Careful there, bub!

>>> Phil

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-22-2004 11:40 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Camcording may not the main source of bootlegs but it is the one thing the general audience can lend a hand with and a trailer offering rewards makes a lot more sense than those insipid "respect copyrights" trailers.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2004 06:30 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey - you know I agree too.

I like how I copy and paste an article and then someone quotes me on it. I was just simply showing everyone an article that I found on Yahoo!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-23-2004 04:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's best to put news articles in QUOTEs. I edited your post above to show this.

Matt Hefright
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2004 05:34 PM      Profile for Matt Hefright     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
funny... in the article they don't reference on how to collect the bounty. maybe we are supposed to sell the video recorder that we confiscate!

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 12:19 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
funny... in the article they don't reference on how to collect the bounty. maybe we are supposed to sell the video recorder that we confiscate!
Sure they do. It states right there that if you find a bootlegger, you can make $3.5 billion. [Wink]

Isn't there some sort of infrared flood light that can be projected onto the screen that would be invisible to the audience, but wash out any digital camcorder image in a bright white haze? I've noticed that I can see my remote controls LED when I take a digital picture of it.

-Adam

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-28-2004 05:48 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The use of infrared "jamming" has been considered, but there are ways for a criminal to circumvent it.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2004 10:16 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah....$500 bucks doesn't seem like much...especially since they have to be arrested and everything has to be proven. How hard would it be for them to format the tape when security was coming up the stairs?

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2004 05:56 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got these amazing window decals the other day. Can't wait to put them up [Wink]

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: