Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Low Carb Concession Items (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Low Carb Concession Items
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2004 04:44 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you guys have any suggestions for Low Carb concession products? I see that Coke has its new "Cola C2" with half the cals & half the carbs. Anyone planing on carrying it?

|  IP: Logged

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2004 09:48 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diet Coke
Water
Throw away the Hottdog Bun (of course you want to jump on the wagon and offfer a special hottdog where you take the bun off for them)

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2004 10:26 AM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a few cardboard boxes and run them through a wood chipper, then sell it as a low carb low calorie popcorn alternative.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2004 07:32 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone see the new ads for C2 - Coke new low carb soda?

I have a dumb question. Don't carbinated drinks have lots of carbs? I do not get the concept of low carb sodas - is it not an oxymoron?

[Confused]

Tim Lockridge
Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2004 07:57 PM      Profile for Tim Lockridge   Email Tim Lockridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most sodas get their extreme amount of empty carbs and calories from the large amount of sugar they contain. C2 contains both sugar and sweetener... making it a sort of diet and normal cola hybrid. I've tried it, and it's surprisingly good. My theater won't carry it, however, as we use Pepsi products.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2004 08:05 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is is like that nasty "Pepsi One" crap that came out a few years ago?

I can get the same taste by mixing diet and regular... Like everyone is doing every weekend at my theatre....

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-14-2004 08:17 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a dumb question. Don't carbinated(sic) drinks have lots of carbs? I do not get the concept of low carb sodas - is it not an oxymoron?
There is a difference between carbonation (adding carbon dioxide to water) and carbohydrates (the "carbs" in question, and as mentioned above are primarily sugar).

-Aaron

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-14-2004 10:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So let's see, there is:
Coke Classic
Coke II, aka New Coke (do they still make this stuff?)
Diet Coke
Cherry Coke
Diet Cherry Coke
Caffiene Free Coke
Caffiene Free Diet Coke
Caffiene Free Diet Cherry Coke
Coke C2
Vanilla Coke

and I suppose we can look forward to...
Caffiene Free Coke C2
Caffiene Free Diet Cherry Coke C2
and maybe someday, Pepsi Coke

[Roll Eyes]

Julie Havlin
Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2004 11:40 PM      Profile for Julie Havlin   Email Julie Havlin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have finally wrangled the attention of our concession department and authorized us carrying low carb candy.

Russell Stovers has some individually wrapped bites in a bag, and Hershey's has chocolate and choc w/ almond bars, which we will be trying. Any sugar free candy will work.

I figure we'll slap up a huge sign saying "low carb" and they'll come flocking. plus we can charge $3.25 for a 1.2 oz bar. Ha!

I'll post after it's running for a couple of weeks with the success.

Jim Leko
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2004 06:06 PM      Profile for Jim Leko   Email Jim Leko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Low carb Coke is pointless for anybody on a low carb diet. Diet Coke already has ZERO carbs. The induction phase of the Atkins diet only allows 20g of carbs per day. Coke C2 has 12g of carbs per serving.

Here is a snip from http://www.carbwire.com/2004/06/11/coke-c2-review

Coke C2 isn't targeted at current drinkers of Diet Coke. As most know, Diet Coke has no carbs, so Diet Coke drinkers wouldn't be wise to jump ship. Coke C2 is marketed at Coca Cola Classic drinkers that don't like the taste of Diet Coke. For that group, this is an easy way to cut "empty carbs". It probably won't conform to a low-carb diet, but anytime you can cut out sugar without compromising much taste, it's a good thing.

Coke C2 does a great job at what it claims to do (cut sugar without cutting taste). We give it a thumbs up for that, but make sure this fits your diet before giving it a try (this might be a great way to get others to start reducing there carbs though!).

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2004 07:48 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Low carbs? Perhaps another concession fiasco like the great coconut oil controversy of several years ago? This too shall pass, but not before some folks stock up on the new low carb products only to find them still in their inventory once the fad has passed.

Always believed going to the movies was a special treat. Get what you want, but...everything in moderation.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2004 08:08 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife brought home a C2 today. It was pretty damn good. I will start drinking this stuff (if it lasts).

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 11:47 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently we are selling hot dog on a stick, C2, and three atkins friendly candies. While the response has been timid, it seems to be picking up.

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 12:04 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Shane, what candies are you selling?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-26-2004 01:20 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coca-Cola and other heavily sweetened soft drinks would not be so bad to consume if they still used cane sugars and beet sugars for the sweetener.

Just about all sweetened soft drinks, and even a lot of other drinks like various fruit juices, use cheap high fructose corn syrup. It is even used in a lot of ice creams and other food products with a sweet quality. The human metabolic system cannot break down high fructose corn syrup as easily as natural cane and beet sugars. The liberal use of high fructose corn syrup as a way to make food products more profitable (cheaper to make, but not cheaper to buy) has a direct link with America's huge jump in the rate of obesity over the past two decades.

Oh, and to get back on topic, I agree with others "C2" Coke is a f**king stupid joke. If you want a soda with low carbs just drink the diet stuff. Don't fool yourself. Either drink "the real thing" or cringe and drink the zero calorie stuff. I drink the diet stuff mostly. It's too expensive to keep buying larger size jeans and trousers from a growing gut.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: