Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How do you complain about a theater you USED to work at? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How do you complain about a theater you USED to work at?
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-14-2004 12:31 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took my wife to see Harry Potter today. Though the movie was good, the presentation was less than stellar.

The right screen channel was dead for the entire show. I'm pretty sure that both surround channels were dead. I'm not sure but I think the subs were down too. There were white "tick mark" scratches down the right hand edge of the screen.

I know who the operator was on that shift. I looked up toward the booth when the show started and I saw him. This guy is pretty conscientious. He's pretty much a "clock puncher" but he does NOT make stupid mistakes. He would have checked and rechecked his threading. He would have checked the sound in the booth monitor but, the way this theater is built (A vintage 1995 Cinemark "Tinseltown" that's been retrofitted to stadium) checking sound in person can be difficult. (Especially if you are the only operator on duty!) If he noticed a problem when he started the machine, he would have fixed it or reported it.

While the previews were playing an usher came along to "scoot" us down a couple of chairs. I would not have done it if the people who wanted the seats weren't handicapped. When he was done seating them I called him over and told him that there was a problem with the sound. I said to him, "Call up to the booth and tell Ted that the right channel is dead."

The problem never got fixed.

After the feature I walked up to the booth window and looked in while the credits were running. The film was playing in SDDS. The reader was threaded correctly and the processor was playing. (All the level meters were going and the Bypass button wasn't lit, etc.)

An usher came up to me as I was leaving and asked me if I had any questions. (He saw me looking into the booth.) I told him, "You've got speakers that aren't working." Just as the standard response, "Not all the speakers play..." came out of his mouth I took him down in front of the screen and stood him right under the bad speaker. It was plainly obvious what the problem was. Again, I told him that he needs to call the booth and tell them what the problem is. I said it plain as day: "Call Ted, in the booth, and tell him that Randy said..." As I left I saw him go back to what he was doing and (appearently) ignore what I just told him.

I just said to myself, "Fuck it!" and went home.

Now, I'm ready to register my complaint. If I just call the theater they'll just say, "Oh, that's just Randy being an asshole..." If I e-mail "Front Row Joe", the complaint will get forwarded to the theater but their reply will be just the same. If I anonymize my e-mail, corporate management isn't likely to take it seriously.

One last piece of information: The booth manager who ran the place after I left quit just two weeks ago. He's gone to greener pastures. I know he ran a pretty tight ship. He would regularly get 95-100% on his booth audits. I'm sure this problem has developed in the two weeks since he left. I'm sure the theater manager will think I'm just slamming the place because my buddy isn't in charge anymore.

Should I have my wife register the complaint?! She's a big Harry Potter fan. She has read every book. She didn't seem to notice because she was so involved with the plot. She thinks I'm being nit-picky. If I had gone out to the lobby to complain she would have been pissed off at me for making a ruckuss.

Advice?!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-14-2004 12:38 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send someone else out and tell them exactly what to say. And remember, physical violence solves any and every problem. [Razz]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-14-2004 12:44 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Joe. I have seven, 250-pound guys to take care of "problem" people and boss'! It IS the ONLY way to deal with some people since that's the ONLY language they understand.

BTW: I'm a pussy, that's why I have a support "team". [Smile]

>>> Phil

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 06-16-2004 10:15 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil:

1. Now I know why you wear a patch over your eye.

2. You are not allowed to agree with Joe. It upsets the balance
of the forum.

3. Ian, is watching you!

4. Joe posts so many different photo's..it proves he is in
reality Brad,Dwayne and Adam. [Eek!]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-16-2004 10:26 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are crazy! Randy I had the same exact experience at the Cinemark I used to work at. I knew the guy upstairs, I pointed out the problem, and still nothing got done. The booth manager was off I believe, and the only other manager that is capable of being the booth manager just quit recently as well. If I had actually paid to see the movie, I would have been pretty upset. It wouldnt do any good to have my wife make a complaint since she works there. [Roll Eyes]

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 11:10 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jeremy,

Is Andy Landa still at the Tinseltown 16? IF so just tell him.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-16-2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I told him the next time I saw him.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-16-2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I paid for my tickets.

It's been a few years since I worked there but I know most of the managers.

I am rather peeved off. I know this place is capable of putting on a good show. What's got me upset the most is not that something went wrong. Hey, shit happens. I'm peeved because something went wrong and nothing was done about it!

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 03:47 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you complain about a theater you USED to work at?

Sometimes you can't. Whenever I mention Regal Cinemas on here, there are a few people who work at thier corporate office that get upset. I was actually told a few weeks ago that I 'burned my bridge' with Regal. [Razz]

I will use a quote made famous by Steve Urkel:

"Opps, did I do that?????"

[beer] [beer]

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 04:32 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy-

Write a letter to the theater manager stating your concerns as a PAYING CUSTOMER. Then copy everybody under the sun, including corporate, the Better Business Bureau, PA Division of Consumer Affairs, the local Chamber of Commerce, and anyone else you can think of (except for maybe Phil Hill [Big Grin] ).

That should bring rain. Somebody will be forced to answer you.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2004 03:05 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you used to work there and know your way around the place, perhaps you should have stormed into the booth and fixed the issue yourself since they were incapable. [Wink]

Seriously.

danny

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-17-2004 09:08 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

I *HAVE* done that before!

Problem was that it was a Saturday afternoon. Too much traffic through the booth. It would have caused more trouble than it solved. On evenings and weekdays, you can get up there, fix the problem and get out before anybody even knows you were there.

The other problem is that my wife gets *REALLY* peeved off when I do shit like that.

Okay, I gotta' admit that I'm one of those people who can't watch a movie unless I'm the one running the projector. If I notice the slightest thing wrong, I won't be able to sit still in my seat until it's fixed. If I'm running the show, I'll be at the projector about a dozen times throughout the film to make adjustments and tweeks, etc.

I don't do that because I make a lot of mistakes. I do it because I don't think of a movie projector as a "steady state" machine. Movie projectors are "dynamic" machines. You can have the thing PERFECTLY aligned at the start of the show and there will ALWAYS be some adjustment to be made throughout the show. That's just the way they are.

Too many people have the belief that movie projectors are something that you simply turn on and let run. Furthermore, they think they SHOULD BE. When I try to tell people that this is not the case, they think I'm crazy.

How would you like to go to a Broadway play where the curtain goes up then the actors, stagehands and techies all just stood still for two hours? To me, it's the same thing with projectors!

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2004 02:21 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the same exact way Randy. I am constantly tweeking things when running movies up in booth. At our prescreenings, I'm always the one to start the film up because to be honest, I just think I'll notice more problems than anyone else. Framing, focus, digital sound, etc. will be the things that I make sure are absolutely perfect. I'll never forget our prescreening of Die Another Day when the person who ran the film didn't get it to run in SDDS. All it needed was a little tension. The analog track on that film was not very good either. [Mad]

As for going in the booth and fixing the problem yourself, it depends on how you do it. If you slip in and out without being notice, I suppose that's cool. If someone else downstairs that knew more than I and wanted to fix it came to help, by all means I appreciate that. However, when someone who doesn't know what they're doing and comes up in booth and messes with things, I wouldn't like that. Helpful help is always appreciated, especially from people who really know what they're doing. If any Film Techer did that for me, I'm sure I'd have no problems. If Phil came up though, I'd have to lock myself in the office and wait for him to pass. [Eek!]

AJG

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2004 05:49 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron wrote:
quote: Aaron Garman
If Phil came up though, I'd have to lock myself in the office and wait for him to pass.
hahaha! Naw....

btw, where the hell is your member pic? You have 299 posts and still no pic? Get your act together!

danny

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-17-2004 07:35 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
HTF did I get dragged in to this?

Yeah Aaron, post the nude pic of yourself that you sent me. [evil] [beer]

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: