Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Problem about things that happened while GM was away

Author Topic: Problem about things that happened while GM was away
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 10:28 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Post deleted because of possible trouble later down the line.

[ 06-12-2004, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Richard Greco ]

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Shingleton
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 10:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Shingleton   Email Andrew Shingleton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be careful what you post publically - remember this is open to everyone to read, including the people you are refering to in your post.

I can only really say what I think others will say. Get out and get out now. It sounds like the place you work is more like Lord of the Flies than a cinema, and that everyone is just there for a party and a holiday rather than to work. And if you don't have your GM's full support on this one then that's even worse. From the sound of it everyone involved in this deserves to be fired, but if that's not the outcome you want (for whatever reason) then you might as well quit. If this is happening now, I have no doubt they'll make your job even worse if they stick around and know you ratted.

Perhaps write your resignation letter, and in it list the reasons why you're leaving (ie: point out everything that goes on). Make sure you send a copy of the letter to as many people above the GM as you can. Hell, what you've described might even be considered criminal, so you're doing them a favour by keeping it internal!

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2004 12:23 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I could never be cool with anyone that takes a " [bs] " in an auditorium.

[Confused]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2004 01:54 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Greco
I am cool with the person that took the [bs] and I don't want to get him fired.
I just don't get that one. Who leaves one in an auditorium or anywhere but the bathroom? Were these people drunk or something? Is the theatre a playground? It sounds like they took the idea of the boss being gone to the extreme. I say find a new job, mention what happened and what has been happening, and get the hell out of Dodge. I just can't get over the defacation in a auditorium? Why!? Scary to think this is one theatre, and if things similar happen elsewhere. I guess one must ask themself, "What would Brad do?" [Big Grin]

AJG

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2004 02:40 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always joked about about taking a [bs] on something I didn't like...but that's just messed up. Without really getting into the logistics, someone actually took a [bs] in the theatre? Are these people like seriously messed up in the head or what?

Seconds on the warning though, this site is public, I know members of my mgmt. have seen my posts on here.

If you aren't going to say something about someone crapping in the theatre but turn in someone for playing hockey, then you just probably shouldn't say anything. Plus, you were there laughing about it and the one manager saw you. Whether you like it or not, it's up to management if they want to let people come in and do stuff, that's why they are managers.

In the end, it sounds like you need a new place to work...

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2004 03:50 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,
How old are you? Why would you care what the teenage employees think about you? If you've got a backbone inform the manager of the problems, but be ready for the consequences. Not to be a dick and pick on you but i think you might be part of the problem. Laughing and egging on someone to shit in a theatre makes you part of the immaturity that seems prevalent at your location. I'd fire everyone present including yourself. If you don't have respect for the theatre you shouldnt be there. Another thing that burns me is the lack of respect for your janitors. Most of the time these people work everyday of the year on a salary lower than yours.
The way it sounds you want to find a way to get someone in trouble for poking holes in walls, which is another dicky thing to do, and avoid getting in trouble yourself for the shitting/pissing incidents which you were indirectly involved in. Let me guess: you dont like the guys who made the holes, but as you wrote you do like the guy who likes to take craps in the theatre. Thats pretty lame and juvenile.
Sorry if this offends/upsets you.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-12-2004 04:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you actually watched this guy take a dump? He had an audience? That guy and everyone else who watched him needs some serious psychiatric help. Mike's post above mine really hits the nail on the head. If you are laughing and enjoying watching the poo slide out of his ass, then you are what therapists refer to as an "enabler".

Imagine if your dad or someone in your family did that. Family time would be interesting. "Son, did I tell you about the time when I went number 2 in a movie theater just to make others laugh?". What a role model that guy will be.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2004 04:39 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I felt for you in your previous posts.

That said:

If you were witness to any of these goings on and did not do anything about it I cannot in good concious give you any advise. You are in the same boat as them and you all should be 'let go' immediatly.

God help your theatre company.

Sorry, but this is truly dispicable.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-12-2004 06:21 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quit. Quit now. Give two weeks' notice and then leave. Don't write a resignation letter and don't bother trying to fix your theatre's personnel issues. Don't even bother trying to explain why you are quitting. Your theatre has too many problems and there is nothing you can say or do at this point which will improve the situation.

If you're getting minimum wage, anyway, there's no reason not to quit, since you certainly won't be any worse off with another job.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2004 08:35 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I'm having trouble with this. I have a very heavy concience. I am just as much in trouble with the rest of them because I was an accomplice. I think until I find a new place, I'll leave it alone and then put it in a letter when I leave. I appreiate the advice guys. I'm 21 BTW. I realize that me being there laughing was wrong and that's why I feel so bad about it.

The last thing I want to do is lose the respect of the people on this website. I read all the responses and I think I'll leave it alone until I leave. This is that last thing I will post on this subject.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-12-2004 09:59 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's easy to get caught up in the moment when something happens like that. I'm not saying that it's right to stand around and laugh when somebody commits a gross-out act but the "shock" of the situation can make us react that way sometimes. It's called a "Reaction Formation" in psychological circles. It's similar to the way we make jokes about nuclear war when we know the reality of nuclear bombs is anything but funny.

I say that the best thing to do is to forget about it and move on. If there is fallout from the incident; punitive, political or otherwise; just take it like a man and do your best to get over it and get on with your life. There's no reason to dwell on it. (If you live your life with one foot in the past and one foot in the future, the only thing you'll ever accomplish is to piss all over the present!)

Furthermore, I agree with the others. It's high time to get out of Dodge. Judging from your past posts about kids climbing up the walls to the balcony and about the abuse/neglect you have seen in the projection booth, this is not a "healthy" business. I'm sure that if this theater isn't well on its way "down the tube" it will be soon. It's a sinking ship. The best thing to do is to head for the lifeboats while you still have a chance.

Movie theaters are frequently staffed by "wanna-bes" and "posers". These are people who have few good job skills (either because this is their first job or because they have flunked out of other jobs) and they gravitate to theaters because expectations are (generally) low. On top of that, they tend to think that, because they work in a theater, they are "in the business". Nothing could be farther from the truth. They are not in the "Movie Business"! They are in the "Movie THEATER Business"! There is a big difference! The upshot of all this is that movie theaters can develop a truly Faustian atmosphere!

Even if you have to (temporarily) take a job outside the movie business! Get out now!

If you can get an interview at another (good) theater, don't be afraid to tell your new (prospective) employer the reason you want to leave your old job. Don't go into details. Just simply say that you take your work seriously but the people you work for do not. Most movie theater managers have a good idea what the other theaters in their area are like. Many times, all you have to say is, "I worked for [Company X].", and they will know exactly what you are talking about.

When I worked for Cinemark, there were a couple of Carmike theaters in my town. Everybody knew which company owned the good theaters and which company owned the dumpy ones. If you applied for a job at Cinemark and you put down "Carmike" on your application, it would be instantly noticed. All the applicant had to say was, "I want to work in a better theater." It was implicity understood. If that applicant's reference checks came up clean and they passed the interview they USUALLY made a good employee at Cinemark.

If your work record at your present theater is "clean", now is the time to cut your losses and get out with a good reference. (Or at least as good as you can get.) It's easy to feel depressed about leaving a job that you like but try to remember: Having a good job means that you like the people you work FOR as much as you like the work you DO.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2004 12:10 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa! I hope they didn't take MY advice from some previous thread I won't mention! [Embarrassed] But if that's the case, then you KNOW they're reading the posts here at least...

That said, let me repeat what everyone else said. I didn't get to read your post before you deleted it, but judging from everyone's reaction, GTFO NOW!!! If not, they will pull you down with them. It sounds like it's already gotten to the point where you're being dragged into stuff you had no direct part in. And in your other posts, you explained situations where you honesty tried to bring the problems to management, who later then took it out on you.

Everyone at that location should be executed and the theater burned down. Now if someone takes THAT advice, I'll truly feel a sense of "Reaction Formation" [thumbsup]

=TMP=

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-12-2004 12:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Richard has nuked his post, I am not going to allow any further comments.

Thread closed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: