Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Assistant Projectionist Problem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Assistant Projectionist Problem
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 12:35 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me explain my situation first...

I am the most experienced projectionist at my theatre and I'm responsible for training new people in the booth. I do NOT have control of the booth unfortunately but that's another story.

I trained this 17 year old in the booth and thought he got everything down as far as running machines go. I have tried to teach him how film works and how to properly do things in the booth. However, he acts like a typical 17 year old. He isn't interested in anything at all. I understand that this is just a job for him, but he needs to realize that he has to run the machines properly.

Here's what he did...

I walk in tonight at 6pm since I'm on the evening shift and what do I see? Our print of Raising Helen was running, inside the projector, Century SA, there was NO top loop! I open and shut the gate to lessen the damage and of course the show goes out of frame. I fix that and inspect the rest of the film path and sure enough, I saw a roller on the takeup side of the tree pressed HARD against the filmas it was running.

I walk over to the other machines and I see Harry Potter running. The machine is VERY loud. I open the door and the top loop is almost GONE!! I pop that gate and put it back in frame and the show is quieter. I look at the rest of the film path and again, a rooler is pressed against the film on takeup...

I checked the other machines and the other rollers were all touching the film butnot as bad. This leads me to believe that he threaded very quickly adn had other thoughts on his mind but film...

As a co-worker without any power, what should I do to correct his mistakes and let him know to not do it again.

I also need to add that the GM isn't very fond of me and really likes him. I'm not liked here because I actually care what happens upstairs and the GM doesn't trust me at all. This GM doesn't care about presentation at all. Many times when previews are being rewound (I'm not allowed to do this BTW)I see the previews ALL over the carpeted floor. Our pre-show is very scratched up BTW.

What can I tell him since telling the GM is out of the question since the 17 year old will be defended?

I'm getting really frustrated at this. Let me know by morning please. [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-08-2004 01:03 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to have a little "pep talk" with him. If there is no response, it would best to recommend his termination or a different jop placement to the employer, providing you have substancial proof.

I usually just fired them when I was in the position to do so - and I have fired a few.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 02:45 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is there anyone in the chain of command who respects you? if you can make the case to an assistant manager that presentation is important, that you care about it, and that it's vital that other projectionists care about it too, maybe (s)he can mediate between you and the boss.

if not, transfer to another theater and try again.

carl

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 02:47 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That 17 year old should be not aloud to step foot in the booth.

As your troubles with your GM, go talk to another manager and state the fact the the presentation is lacking with this clown in the booth. He is being careless with the prints and the chances of Harry Pothead getting scratched is very probable.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 03:08 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, my original post was a bastard and got lost, it was damn long.

1. Go in for your shift early, point out any problems and show the person the presentation. In lamens terms explain why it looks bad. Any negativity on yours or his part, nothing will get accomplished, be nice. He/she doesn't listen, leave it be.

2. Go to your GM and express your concerns in a non-complaining manner. For every concern you should have a simple solution, not 'let me do it all' but specific to that concern. So be ready. If necessary show them the problems, some GMs simply do not check their screens, crazy I know, but hey. Be nice, curtious and thank them for listening.

3. If you have a District Manager, request time to express your concerns. Keep it short, sweet and as in all cases above do not go into extreme 'film-tech' explanations unless asked. Thank them for their time.

4. DOCUMENT as of now!! You should have a boothlog! If not go spend a buck and put it on the desk in the booth, make-up table, whatever. Each shift explain what you did, what problems arose if any and actions taken. See a scratch, write it down, print auditorium, showtime etc.

5. Keep your head up! Do everything you are allowed to do the best you can. wipe stuff down, clean prints like a banshee, etc. your doing it for the people on the other side of the porthole not your colleagues.

6. Grab a empty large cup box, throw a trash bag in it, label 'FILM ONLY'. Inform them that the use is for any loose film, write it in the snazzy new boothlog!! Do not force anything, just give em the tool.

Be Positive, keep your complaints to yourself, negativity breeds negativity.

Pissed off that i had to do this over......although your welcome, cause its wwwwaaayyyy shorter... rant over. [beer]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-08-2004 03:22 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the pad roller position when threading a Century, how did he manage to lose the top loop in the first place????

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-08-2004 03:51 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tell you what the guy is doing. He is not turning the motor over after he threads. So many newbies don't understand that you simply can NOT judge the size of a loop with the machine standing still. To make matters worse, he could've misframed it and had to rack the framing knob to get it in frame on screen, further shrinking the loop.

I know lots of people here are against the whole idea of disabling the framing mechanism, but I gotta tell ya, it really forces those kids to learn fast! It's more effort on their part to keep stopping it and reframing it in the gate than it is to just thread the thing right the first time. [Wink]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 07:22 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate the responses guys. I'm going to go in after class today and have a little talk with him in the booth one on one and do it professionally, not mean. Hopefully it will work.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-08-2004 07:29 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it doesnt work, you should really consider a different theater. Then when that 17 year old is the one running the booth, and he scratches a few prints, and breaks a few projectors, they will realize they made a mistake.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 11:25 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you have to be 18 to run a projector? In the US that is...

Actually, I have been a theatre manager in Florida myself - By law you have to be 18 to run a 35mm projector...

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 12:06 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack, I think I found out the problem with the top loop on the first projector I saw. I think the pad roller wasn't closed all the way.

I went and talked with him today and basically explained to him what I found wrong. I made sure that he understood that I wasn't mad, just very concerned. I showed him what was wrong and he seemed like he understood.

I then asked him if he would please check everything twice and monitor the booth as well as making his floor rounds. I asked that if he didn't care about what he did, if he could just do it as a favor for me. He said ok, we'll see....

As a side question, I'm getting a lot of stress from my co-workers about my obsession with a good presentation. They seem to think that the booth is my "girlfriend". I tell them that although this is 5.15/hr, If I were a customer, I'd want the best presentation possible. They seem to think I'm caring too much about this job. I'm only going to do this till I graduate and then just do the booth at another theatre as a weekend thing after I get my degree.

What do you think? Am I caring too much? I try to to the best I can with the opportunities I am given.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-08-2004 12:12 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, its not that you are caring too much, they are not caring enough.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-08-2004 12:24 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ditto, Jeremy.

That's like Paul telling his employer it's no big deal if their transmitters only make half-power, then saying "ok... we'll see" when told they'd really like to operate the way they should. Of course, I'd imagine Paul would be expecting his full paycheck at the end of the month... not half... you suppose?

Don't fall for the reverse phych... unless you get no backup from your employer. In that case, you should find a company that feels the way you do about giving the customers their money's worth.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-08-2004 12:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this guy not understand how to do the job, or does he understand, but not care?

The former is fixable, the latter probably isn't.

If he just isn't willing to do the job properly after being given adequate training and opportunity to improve, then he should be fired. If your employer isn't going to do this, then it's time to look for a new employer. Actually, it's probably time to do this anyway (what kind of theatre doesn't allow the head operator to rewind trailers?!?). You should be able to find someone (probably an independent) who will pay better than minimum wage for someone who cares about presentation quality.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2004 01:02 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, He understands....Just doesn't care.

I'd love to get into a changeover house so I can learn that aspect too. I think next week, I'm going to start looking for a better place.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: