Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Building a Drive-In Theater handbook

Author Topic: Building a Drive-In Theater handbook
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-04-2004 09:19 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click this.

I am interested in looking into what it would take to build a drive in theater in my area. Has anyone heard of this book before. Is it worth it. I know $35 dollars is nothing when were talking about the expenses involved in starting this kind of business. But I was just wondering if anyone has heard of them before, or if anyone has purchased their handbook. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-04-2004 10:18 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a photocopied, comb-bound, 30 or 40 pages in all. There's a lot of misinformation and assumptions, based on guesses he made while building his own drive-in. Some of his directions on laying out the lot, ramps, and projection are just flat-out wrong. If he'd just checked my old driveinworkshop.com website for technical reference on this, he would've known better, but he didn't. Although, there are passages from some of my original articles that he used, verbatim, without my permission.

Otherwise, it's full of factual, grammatical, and typographical errors, and falls well short of being a complete step-by-step guide. There are numerous instances where he lightly brushes over important topics, to be done with them. His "instructions" for constructing the building consist of something like: ...dig the hole for the foundation and put up the studs. With a couple of photos that show them doing that. No why's or wherefore's. Instructions for building his homebrew screen tower were similarly lacking.

Suggestions for operation of your theatre are very cheap (read: unprofessional). He calls for one projector (which he can sell and install for you, btw), reel to reel... and you just go off the screen to change reels. That's your intermission (and you only have to book one picture), just use a slide projector to sell your concession on the screen.

The reader is left with more questions than are answered. I can't fault the guy for trying, and he has built one more drive-in from the ground up than I have, but you can find better information on the web. It might be fun if you want to see the pictures, though, or just learn of his experience.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2004 12:28 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy:

Years ago, if you sent them a rough sketch of your property, Ballantyne would plan the DI for you and send you a copy of the layout. They did that for me when I was planning a DI in Central California. They expected you to use their equipment of course.

I doubt they still do that, especially since Strong bought them out, but perhaps they can direct you to someone who can help.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-04-2004 12:44 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, thanks. I think I'll look elsewhere. I'll try the drive-in workshop site a little later. Robert, thanks. I didnt realize they did that. I will have to give them a holler too. Thanks fellas!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-04-2004 02:34 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, Jeremy.

FYI, Ballantyne doesn't design drive-ins anymore. That was Mr. Nelson's baby, and I think he's passed. I know of no one that has the specialized knowledge to properly design drive-ins these days. Your best bet is to use existing information; a repository for which (and good to put your architect on) is at www.driveinworkshop.com

Although I'm no longer affiliated with that site, I am principal of Screen Attractions, the best place to get your drive-in's screen advertising materials.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2004 02:52 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NO... No... No.. Don't waste your money. Now don't take that the wrong way or anything, but the information presented in this "ink-jet printed", 3-ring binder from Office Max is WAY WRONG.

The full title of the "book" is "HOW TO BUILD AN INEXPENSIVE DRIVE-IN (for fun and profit). There is (in my personal opinion) a fine line between "inexpensive" and down right "cheap". The methods described within this "Kinkos creation" blurr if not cross that line in MANY MANY ways.
I don't know about your locations, but in my area where patrons can choose between 20 screen Regal's with stadium seating, NFL, NHL, NASCAR, etc... "cheap" won't cut it!! They might come once, but never again.

My wife bought a copy of this for me for Father's Day several years ago, and I first thought it was a joke. What is described in the book as far as layout and construction methods won't work ANYWHERE that has any resemblance of building codes.

I applaud the guys effort, I mean he DID build a drive-in in rural Texas, and from what I can tell, he's been relatively sucessful...but he is by no-means an expert author on "How to build a drive-in". He is however an expert on how he built "HIS" drive-in.

Example:
His concessions building design info suggests 1 toilet and one sink each for both the mens and womens restroom.

Quote: "A converted deer stand makes an excellent boxoffice/ticket booth"

"Wall-Mart" (notice the spelling) is a good source for roll tickets

"GOLD METAL" (notice the spelling) is the best in popcorn poppers...

Me personally...... I used his book as an example of what to avoid.

Now my theatre is NOT perfect by any means, but I'll put up my 8-row double ramped, Selby Screen Tower, Concrete Concessions/Projection building with 10 restroom fixtures, 6 sinks, + full resturaunt kitchen, and passes EVERY building code in the books theatre up against that any day of the week.

Rant Off..... I'm done now..
Any Questions....

Screen Attractions... Tim, you guys ROCK!! I personally show the Screen Attractions "Welcome to the Drive-In" trailer, followed by the "Goble Food Trailer", then the "UDITOA member trailer" EVERY NIGHT.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-04-2004 03:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was an article about this guy in Boxoffice magazine a few years ago. It sounded like what he was doing might work in a very small town with no other sources for entertainment, but my recollection was that he was doing everything as cheaply as possible, which isn't any way to build a business which will be viable over the long term.

The single-feature-with-intermissions-for-reel-changes thing really takes the cake.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2004 06:18 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy, as others have stated here, building a drive-in is not simple. There is a great amount of info. on the web, but plenty of drive-in experts are available to help, you just need to seek them out. Our biggest problem here in Australia was finding a screen builder. Most went out of business years ago.

We had advice from a former drive-in screen builder (long retired) and found some good engineering firms for the design and compliance aspects. We project managed the construction ourselves (we did have some experience in the field however). It is not a project tackled by yourself, get the best advice, I doubt it is found in a 40 page booklet.

It is a difficult project, big or small, good luck!

David

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-07-2004 09:33 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again guys. Tim, that Drive-In workshop site seems like its going to be very helpful. Definitely better than the one I was considering.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: