Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How do I keep my candy from melting??

Author Topic: How do I keep my candy from melting??
Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2004 02:50 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that the higher temps and humidity have brought around the annual problem of candy melting...I know this is a common thing but my problem is that the computers for our registers can only be stored in the space behind the candy draws and there is not much ventialtion back there.. any ideas that you all have tried to combat this problem?? It is mostly my chocolate candy that is melting, but if I can't come up with a better way to do this then all of the chocolate candy is going to have to come out of the registers every night. I had an idea to maybe drill a few holes under the lip of the counter and install one or two small computer fans at each register to give it more air flow to expel the heat, but I don't know how hard that would be...or if it would help. Any ideas or advice would be good.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-02-2004 05:17 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing you can really do is to eat all the candy before it melts.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-02-2004 05:45 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is a refrigerated storage case out of the question? Could you run a duct from the air conditioning system directly into your storage cabinet?

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2004 09:05 AM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could possibly build a refrigeration system into the existing case. I've never tried this before but I got the idea a while ago, go to WalMart and get one of those big ice-less coolers, look for the kind with a plastic interior with vents, I've seen a few which didn't look like it would be all that hard to remove the cooling unit, just take the cooling unit out of the cooler and somehow build it into your case. If it will fit in a cooler, it can't be all that big, and usually they run on 12 volts and come with a transformer. It might take some creativity, but it could be done for under 30 bucks (per case).

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2004 09:32 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is ALWAYS a problem down here. We try to keep the chocolate and other meltables seperate and as far away from heat sources.(even flourescent lamps in candy cases!) The other stuff like Sour Patch and Starbursts should be fine.

Keeping them in the same cabinet as the computers is a BAD idea. Computers generate more heat than you think, especially in an unventilated cabinet. I would seriously consider finding a way to vent the cabinet, if not for the candy then for the computers. Can't sell candy without registers! (Well, you can, but most theater employees don't know how to make change.)
[Embarrassed]
=TMP=

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2004 10:22 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob you just gave me a great idea...I don't have room for the cooler system since the candy draws are under each register...but what if i went and bought some of those re-freeze ice things that go in lunch boxes and tossed one in each drawer in a zip lock over night when it gets hot...would that cool the temps enough to make a difference??

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget the candy, it's cheep; you are cooking your computers. Heat damage to electronics is cumulative over time, and will shorten the life of your computers. If you think it's hot where the candy is, just think of how hot the microprocessor is. Save yourself some money, vent the heat.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2004 05:20 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris that probably wont work. We usually pack all the chocolates up and put them in the fridge over nite. 104 degrees and counting here in Az.

Rick Meister
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2004 07:47 PM      Profile for Rick Meister   Email Rick Meister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI everyone
I had the same problem and installed a ductless air conditioner and did all the work myself in the concession. my concession is rather small so with the popper the pop machine and the pop cooler. It was getting 90 in there during the show and too hot even after the show in the summer.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2004 08:44 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Liquid Nitrogen? [Smile]

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2004 12:50 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, you are decreasing the hours that your computer will run by a lot...is there a way, even like a 4inch gap that you could put a piece of wood and come CPU fans? It's quite easy to hook up and you can even piggy-back onto yout computer's power supply...

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-04-2004 01:14 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just keep your candy storage area at a reasonable temperature. If you store the candy in the same room as an air-cooled icemaker, forget it. You will always have a big pile of goo.

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2004 09:30 AM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at frozencpu.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: