Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Fresh Popcorn?

Author Topic: Fresh Popcorn?
Angel Suarez
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 05:14 AM      Profile for Angel Suarez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best customer question I got has to be back when I was a concessionist. I was on register and the lady pointed straight at the popper (which was popping popcorn out of it at the time) and ask me if it was fresh? I just turned around and started laughing.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 09:23 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get that all the time...but you just have to smile and say yes...you gotta remember that most people have no freakin idea what goes on in our industry...but since we are on the subject.. why is it that some theaters pre-pop popcorn a week in advance and not one person complains, but when ours has been sitting out for five minites and a fresh bacth cannot be seen popping out then it is "stale"

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-31-2004 10:25 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Medley
but since we are on the subject.. why is it that some theaters pre-pop popcorn a week in advance and not one person complains, but when ours has been sitting out for five minites and a fresh bacth cannot be seen popping out then it is "stale"

Have you ever noticed that fresh popcorn out of the popper does taste stale until it completely cools? That's probably why...

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-31-2004 12:55 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A cinema I did years ago in Coral Gables ( Miami ) Florida could not install a popper since the city code guys classed it as a fryer device that required a "grease trap" drain on the premises [Roll Eyes] The client bought the popper, did it at home and brought in the "fresh" product everyday for his warmers.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 06:45 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater used to allow closing employees to take home what popcorn was left in the bins at the end of each night (minus bin to warm over for refills). But they had to put a stop to that when it ended up on the lawns of the kids' neighbors. [Razz]

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 08:23 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
But they had to put a stop to that when it ended up on the lawns of the kids' neighbors.

I wonder if popcorn seed would be worse in somebody's yard... If it is spread at the right time of year and the victim does not mow regularly, I would bet you could have corn growing within a few weeks. [evil] [evil] [evil]

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2004 09:00 PM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it still be viable, given that even though it hadn't popped, it had still been through the heat of the popper?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-01-2004 12:48 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But they had to put a stop to that when it ended up on the lawns of the kids' neighbors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...fastest way to attract hoards of seagulls... if you have them in your area. They LOVE the stuff!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-01-2004 02:34 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now only if the seagulls would pick up the rest of the garbage at the drive-in. OK, they usually do, but only to scatter it about.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2004 05:28 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daniel Alt
Would it still be viable, given that even though it hadn't popped, it had still been through the heat of the popper?

I am thinking unpopped seeds that have not been through the popper. When I worked in the theater, we had one of the big 50lb bags of popcorn bust apart when it was being unloaded from the Libertos truck. About 1/3 of its contents went into the grass.
The grass in the parking lot behind the theater never looked the same again. It was much more thick and tough. We all figured it was corn growing.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll fess up here, as I'll admit I found an "argricultural science project" growing under my ice machine about two weeks ago.

Someone had spilled some un-popped kernels while filling up the popper bin, and they got swept under the ice machine. The water drip from the ice bin drain combined with the warm temps in the building were just enough to let the kernels actually sprout. I swept them out and found some type of root structure had formed itself to the floor and two of the kernels had about a two inch long green leaf on them.

I'm NOT proud of the fact, but I did find it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-01-2004 03:42 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seagulls like popcorn, and so do rodents. One of the job hazards of walking the lot at a rural drive-in. [uhoh]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2004 07:48 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago, in Cape Coral, Florida. We were expanding the old Cobb Coralwood 6 into a ten plex. Someone had thrown their left over popcorn bag over a contruction fence. Keep in mind, this was a very restricted area where no-one was aloud during construction. The bag sat there for months. I do not know how many months went by, but eventually a cornstalk grew straight out of the popcorn bag. When they went to take the fence down, I made it a point to be there. I picked all the ears of corn off the stalk before they cut it down. I took them home, cooked them and had real 'corn on the Cobb'.

true story........

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: