Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 1st wall-to-wall union movie theater in MN? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 1st wall-to-wall union movie theater in MN?
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2004 03:55 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very interested in how this plays out. I understand its caused many shouting matches and angry storm offs between emlpoyees.

quote:
Theater workers hold union vote Wednesday
May 23, 2004

MINNEAPOLIS — Workers at Landmark Theatre's three Twin Cities theatres -- the Edina Cinema, Lagoon Cinema, and Uptown Theatre -- are poised to vote Wednesday whether to join United Food & Commercial Workers Local 789, creating the first wall-to-wall union movie theater in Minnesota, perhaps in the United States.

Supporters of the workers' drive to join the United Food & Commercial Workers Union Local 789 will be attending the 7 p.m. screening of the popular documentary Super Size Me on Tuesday, May 25, at the Uptown Theatre. Union supporters will be handing out free buttons to those who attend the screening. The Uptown is located at 2906 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis.

On April 14, the employees of the three Twin Cities Landmark Theatres petitioned the National Labor Relations Board requesting a union election. Within a week, Landmark Theatres responded by enlisting the services of Labor Relations Solutions, a California-based union-busting firm. Since then, Labor Relations Solutions' consultants have been holding weekly "mandatory meetings", having one-on-one meeting with workers, and showing what one worker characterized as "the Reefer Madness of union videos."

In spite of Landmark's resistance, the theatre's workers have been able to garner overwhelming support from the local community, the union said. "We've already collected more than 1,000 signatures so we feel that people in the community are willing to help," said Uptown Theatre employee Dan Schneidkraut.

Lagoon Cinema employee Emily Davis continued saying, "We think that packing Super Size Me the night before the election would be a fun and positive way to show the company and our managers that we are interested in the success of these great theatres."

In September 2003 Landmark Theatres was purchased by 2929 Entertainment Company, which is co-owned by Dallas Maverick's owner, Mark Cuban. Landmark Theatres Corporation was founded in 1974 and operates 57 theatres with 204 screens in 14 states across the U.S.

UFCW Local 789 is part of the 1.4 million United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, AFL-CIO. Local 789 has 7,500 members and represents workers in the grocery stores, drug stores, book stores, nursing homes, meat packing plants, and manufacturing and laundry facilities. Source

Pulse Article
Another Workday MN article

|  IP: Logged

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2004 04:49 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nate
This is extremely interesting. Landmark here in Seattle just signed a new contract with IATSE with very few changes.
Please keep us posted as to the developments in MI.
Thanks.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2004 09:09 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the local supermarket union, which is a huge deal up here. Target almost couldn't build Super Target stores here because of conflicts with the group over cross-staffing in the stores.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2004 10:14 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh great....now there'll be union bar grunts. [Roll Eyes]

Wade McDougal
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2004 04:35 PM      Profile for Wade McDougal   Email Wade McDougal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the pros/cons of being in a theater union?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-26-2004 11:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PROS:
-Higher pay
-Job security (to some extent)
-Automatically know more than scabs (non-union workers) about EVERYTHING pertaining to your job.

CONS:
-Union dues
-Danger of striking (which can last many many months, and you get little to no pay).

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2004 11:27 PM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, looks like they voted not to join the union. I don't know exact vote counts though.

I'm happy. My friend would have faced termination if the union won, now she's not. [Smile]

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2004 12:30 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cons:

Opportunities for advancement or raises are based almost purely on seniority, not ability.

Unions create unduely high wages for the underachievers and unduely low wages for hard workers.

My wife is a member of UFCW, but not by choice. Michigan is a closed shop state which means that if a place has a union you must be a member to work there. It is amazing to see how the crappy workers who show up late and are lazy get paid the same as a good worker who was hired at the same time as them. It is hell for a superior to fire a crappy worker with their 300 page contracts full of arbitrations, stewards, etc.....

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2004 03:57 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, Adam and Nate
Have a nice day!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-27-2004 04:04 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You too, Pete! And don't forget to pick up milk on your way home!

(I have no idea what we are talking about, btw.)

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-27-2004 08:42 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the fee to join the Union?

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-27-2004 09:03 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
(I have no idea what we are talking about, btw.)
Joe, I'm just as lost as you are! [Confused] [Confused]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-27-2004 09:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
many unions if they are organizing a wokplace charge $1.00 to join under the organizing banner
Unions protect all members and regretably the good and the bad get tarred with the same brush but that is not discourageing advancment. Senority is not the only basis for advancement many collective agreements nowdays allow the employer to pick and choose from the union hall

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2004 09:45 AM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pro: Most Union projectionists are well trained and don't smell like popcorn.
Con: Demand a salary that a person could actually live on.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-27-2004 09:53 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Spohn
Con: Demand a salary that a person could actually live on.
I would think a salary that I can actually live on, would be a good thing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: