Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Hawking...how do you make it work??

Author Topic: Hawking...how do you make it work??
Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2004 02:19 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok.. I'm not fond of the "GET YOUR HOT DOGS!!" method...I have two carts and this has been tried in the past, but for the payroll it wastes it hasn't helped much...have any of you done this?? if so how did you make it work? did they just go stand at the bottom and wait for peole..or walk the aisles? could the hawkers get refills for customers, or maybe something from the stand that wasn't on the cart?

|  IP: Logged

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2004 05:03 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my theatre, we have a summer candy combo we are trying to promote.
One way of doing this is to send a friendly, personable concession attendant or usher into the theatre before the show begins.

The usher announces that we are offering this combo, explains what it is, and then informs the audience that he/she would be happy to take orders here in the auditorium and bring the food back to the customers at their seats.
Customers seem to really like the "in theatre" service, and some of our employees actually like to sell combos inside the theatres. Its a win/win situation. [thumbsup]

I would say the trick to selling items inside the auditoriums is (1) to be friendly, (2) announce the item you are selling, explain exactly what it is (if its a combo or something more complicated than a box of Junior Mints) and how much it costs, and (3) to speak loudly and clearly, but not be obnoxious about it.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2004 07:14 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, i don't think i'd like my pre-movie reverie interrupted like that. we are talking pre-movie, right?

carl

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2004 12:47 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, most definitely pre-movie, usually before or during the first 10 minutes of the 2wenty.

James Pope
Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2004 01:15 AM      Profile for James Pope   Author's Homepage   Email James Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but then wouldnt the customers get used to someone going in the theatre and takeing orders? Do they start skipping the line and wait in the theatre. then the days you dont go in they are upset? Does any one have any findings that there per cap actuall went up? just wondering I thought about this idea for a while but I dont want it to do more harm than good any thoughts?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2004 02:30 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This takes me back to when I first started going to the cinema in the 1960's.
It was then standard practice for the ushers to bring in the ice cream tray between the ads and shorts and the main feature.
Nothing new in the world anymore [Roll Eyes]

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2004 04:03 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't make it a regular thing to go into the theatres and sell combos. Usually we use that method on busy days when people may completely bypass the concession stand to make sure they get a good seat, or on busy premiere days.

We've never had a problem with people expecting us to sell items inside the theatres, mainly because we don't do it often, and because we only sell a specific item (our combo), not all concession items.

As for the per cap stuff, I really don't know.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-21-2004 05:33 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking & filling orders seems, to me anyway, unnecessarily complicated and while it responds to people's innate laziness it doesn't offer instant gratification. I think it would do more for sales to have someone going up and down the aisles carrying a tray of popcorn buckets and one or two types of pop (Coke / Diet Coke perhaps). People who might not otherwise bother will be tempted when it's right there in front of them.

On the other hand if the hawkers sold beer the per cap would go through the roof. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: