Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Grosses for Fahrenheit 9/11 - 350 Million+ US, 600 Million+ Overseas (Page 1)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: Grosses for Fahrenheit 9/11 - 350 Million+ US, 600 Million+ Overseas
Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 05:34 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. With Moore indicating that this film will release in 6 weeks time in the US and that a distribution deal will be clinched there at Cannes, lets brace up for a discussion about grosses for this film - theatrical.

Please note that I prefer to use the term 'film' and 'film-maker' over 'documentary' and 'documentary-maker' in this context.

6 weeks is enough time for a movie to get all the publicity it may require to corner the kind of money I am talking about. A 350 million plus in North America (Canada included) is what I forsee for this film.

And, should this film also release in all major international territories within 14 days from the US bow, then a 600 million cumulative from all such major territories (India excluded but China included).

And, unlike any other film in History, this will be the fastest film to gross a 100 million, 200 or nth million.

So much said, this film may also run into problems in the Middle-East, like the people in those places may be tempted to target American establishments or stations. And this possibility may hurt gross estimates from the Middle-East. Minus the Middle-East, overseas grosses would be 500 million.

However, I need to also say that the slope is very slippery here. All calculations may come to naught if Moore is shown to have faked even a part of his film. Then, his opposition will seize on it and tear apart this film and make it less appealing.

And there is something this film will do to documentaries - take them mainstream. The birth of the REALITY CINEMA.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-18-2004 08:26 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the film is to political and most likely will never see numbers such as that. Sorry but those types of films are not mainstreem enough to have huge numbers. I for one have no interest in seeing it.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-18-2004 08:56 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither. It might do good, but 600 million, come on KD, thats a little high, dont you think. [thumbsdown]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 09:06 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Fuentes
but 600 million, come on KD, thats a little high, dont you think.
Jeremy, don't you mean:
Come on KD, you're a little high, don't you think.
[evil]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-18-2004 09:12 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pravin, you said it, I only thought it. [Big Grin]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-18-2004 09:24 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having run and seen this film, I enjoyed it. But KD this film will never see those numbers that you posted. When it gets released it may hit in the US at around the 20 million dollar range. His last film "Bowling for Columbine" only did around 22 million in the US. Documentaries never hit numbers like main stream movies do.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 09:34 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what his NEXT documentary would be like if this one did make 600 million... [Eek!]

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 12:42 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way this movie could gross $350 million in North America would be if local preachers bought out entire screenings and encouraged all the members of of their congregations to attend, to take friends to other screenings, etc..

A pipe dream (no pun intended).

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KD......No......Can I ask a serious question though?

Why are you posting ridiculous topics like this? IMHO you aren't very good at guessing grosses. I believe that unless you are directly affiliated with the film company, being concerned with these grosses like you seem to be just isnt necessary. I admit, I am just a lowly projectionist. However, all that my theatre is concerned about is box office take for the day for our theatre. All that the big box office numbers mean to us is that the movie is popular.

Would you please stop posting these ridiculous posts and think realistically. Look at the totals for the top grossing movies of all time on boxofficemojo.com.

quote:
1 Titanic Par. $600,788,188 1997
2 Star Wars Fox $460,998,007 1977
3 E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial Uni. $435,110,554 1982
4 Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Fox $431,088,301 1999
5 Spider-Man Sony $403,706,375 2002
6 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King NL $376,853,002 2003
7 The Passion of the Christ NM $368,894,610 2004
8 Jurassic Park Uni. $357,067,947 1993
9 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers NL $341,786,758 2002
10 Finding Nemo BV $339,714,978 2003

Look at the top 10 of all time, That's North American grosses only. KD it wastes my time and many others, I'm sure, to read posts like this. Please Stop

Also, read this post about the film

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In all seriousness, I guess a new forum for grosses wouldnt be so bad.

However, we would still need an altogether separate forum for predictions by KD. Alongside Bob Maar's joke forum. I just read the original post in its entirety and it would be a perfect addition to the box office analysis column in Mad magazine. The deadpan serious tone is perfecct.

[ 05-18-2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Pravin Ratnam ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-18-2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The birth of "REALITY CINEMA?" Great...the reality wonks have ruined the TV industry, now they're ready to start on cinema.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 03:16 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if it's a waste of time you don't have to read it. the topic title is clear enough.

but i have to agree that k.d's figure is ridiculous. f-9-11 could be a huge hit, in documentary terms, and not make 1/20 of that amount.

carl

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-18-2004 06:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl: You don't seem to get it...there are people here (I'm one) who like to read EVERY topic. Some are way over my head technically but I still like to at least skim them all, because there is a lot to learn.

And, you never know when a good fight will erupt! [thumbsup]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 06:33 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed Mike, Since I am lucky enough to have a high-speed connection it isnt as bad, but I like to learn as much as I can.

Honestly, I think it is to boost KD's post counts that he posts stuff like this.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 08:30 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And, you never know when a good fight will erupt!
amen to that. i think we need some new pictograms next to the thread titles for when the dust starts flying and things get saucy. basically whenever phil starts posting to it. [sex] [beer]

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: