Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » trailer changes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: trailer changes
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-16-2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is mostly a mangement topic, so I'm posting it here.

How many trailers does your theatre show and how often do they change over the course of a film's run?

At a certain multi-screen art house where I usually work on Thursdays, we normally show about four trailers and 2-3 promotional spots for contests, etc. The theatre policy is that a) only trailers for films scheduled to play at that theatre will be shown and b) trailers must be shown in release date order. As bookings and release dates change, about half of these trailers/promos end up needing to be replaced or their order changed each week.

Is this a common practice elsewhere?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 05:42 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run one Coca-Cola trailer before the trailers, except on Buena Vista, Dreamworks or Warner Bros. films, then we show a moviefone spot instead. Four trailers after that (including attached), then the sound snipe. No policy trailers.

Trailers are for movies being released between two weeks and two months away, no further out than that. Trailers are placed in chronological order of release dates (upcoming to further out). On Wednesday I change trailers for the films coming out that particular week, and adjust the programming for the replacement trailers so everything's still in chronological order. This way, the coming attractions feel more recent to patrons, and they don't forget about where they heard about the big releases.

We do have the DVD "slide projector" that local advertisers use before the show, which often tricks people into thinking that we have fifteen minutes of ads before the trailers. [Roll Eyes]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 06:10 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Art Theatre

We run 4-trailers on every print.

I think 3-trailers is a better number but Ky needs to place 4.

We run no slides, ads, rolling stock or PSAs.

James Pope
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 08:07 PM      Profile for James Pope   Author's Homepage   Email James Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WE one coke, 2 trailers one of an upcoming movie, and one of a movie we are playing to cross advertise, a dolby and the attached thats it, we used to only run one but now its two short ones. All about 5-8 min. no policy sometimes we dont play coke or a dolby at all if the trailers are long.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 08:15 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screenvision ads (no more then 4 min)
Movietickets.com ad
5 trailers
Policy Trailer

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-16-2004 09:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We normally run 5 trailers and a DTS tag, nothing else. Less if it's a kiddie movie, maybe one more on a blockbuster so people have time to get to the concession stand.

I try to arrange the trailers so that the best/most exciting/most anticipated trailer plays last. Release dates don't matter to us because we don't always know what order the films will be playing.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 09:46 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We Run:
Public Service Announcments
Rolling stock Adds
Coke
Movietickets.com
anywhere from 5-6 trailers....rarely we get 7

This is why we have to start the movies a tad early

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-16-2004 09:52 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run in all of our theatres (except Marin County):

3 min (max, it usually averages around 1:30) rolling stock ads
approx 7-10 min of trailers (averages to three, to include the attachment, if any)

In Marin we do the same sans rolling stock.

-Aaron

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-17-2004 06:15 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 or 5 trailers, no ads, no policy, no dolby or anything like that. I basically run them the same way that Mike B. does. The better ones closer to the feature. That way if anyone shows up late, they wont miss the new Spiderman, or other blockbuster, that they were most likely hoping to see.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-17-2004 10:40 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my college theater...

Pre-show video slide show ads: Only internal college events or "Sponsorship Acknowledgements" for people/companies that give us $$. (e.g.: "We would like to thank ABC Co. for their generous support...")

Three trailers: Only trailers for upcoming movies. We don't always get trailers for every movie so sometimes it's less than three but never more than three.

Generic policy snipe from Filmack.

On with the show...

I put the trailers on in REVERSE order that the movies will play in. It makes adding and pulling trailers a lot easier. When the movie is broken down, it's a simple matter to wind the last trailer off and put it away. Then, next week, when the new movie is built, you do the following:

1) Build the movie as normal onto the existing trailer pack.
2) Build the new trailer(s) onto a spare piece of leader and wind it onto the takeup platter.
3) Take the leader out of the print on the payout platter and thread through to the take up.
4) Make your splice and run. By the time your preview screening is done you should be all set to run your "Go-Show" as normal.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dean: That sounds like an AMC (hence Movietickets.com)
Usually the lineup at the big Disney AMC 24 here is:

Title (with approx time)
NCN "Preshow Countdown" (:10)
Respect Copyrights (1:30)
Hershey's something... (:45)
Coke (2:00 if it's that black chick singing)
Movietickets.com (1:00)
AMC Gift Card (:30)
AMC Coming Soon (:20)
6-7 trailers (about half the time it's 7. 15-18 minutes)
AMC Silence is Golden (:45 if it's the submarine one)
AMC Feature Presentation (:20)

*WHEW* That's 18-22 minutes of stuff before the movie! And this starts at the advertized time. [Razz]

=TMP=

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-17-2004 01:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, what a lot of stuff that is. No wonder people are complaining about too much pre-show crap nowadays.

I hate people who intentionally come to the show late to avoid seeeing the trailers. If you don't want to see the trailers, stand in the lobby or something! And it doesn't seem to matter how many trailers there are, either....people seem to think that we run a half hour of trailers, even though we've been running (on average) about 10-12 minutes worth for 25 years. I've had people come in at 40 minutes past showtime and say, "well we've probably only missed about five minutes of the movie, right?"
(/rant mode)

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-17-2004 02:06 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the same problem Mike. The Cinemark and Century here run alot of [bs] before their shows, so people think we do the same. They show up 25-30 minutes late, and I hear them telling each other, "It's ok, we havent missed any of the movie yet, just the commercials."

Pete Apruzzese
Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2004 02:36 PM      Profile for Pete Apruzzese   Author's Homepage   Email Pete Apruzzese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of our locations run the following:

"No Smoking" snipe
"Let's Go Out to the Lobby"
One trailer (maybe two if it's a short teaser)

We'll change a trailer when we get a confirmed booking and can put a "Starts Friday" or "Next Attraction" tag on it.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2004 03:50 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of putting them on in chronological (release date) order- if the home office sent a list of what trailers they wanted I'd put them on in the order listed though. I was very obsessive about pulling trailers with out-of-date info, like no trailers saying "Coming Soon" for movies that were already out, etc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: