Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cinema Grill Closes After 5 Weeks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinema Grill Closes After 5 Weeks
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 07:34 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be some sort of record...closing after only 5 weeks in business.

I thought something suspicious was going on as they never changed their films and suddenly, no newspaper ads.

From the Columbus Dispatch, 5/15/04:

quote:
CINEMA GRILL CLOSES AFTER 5 WEEKS
By Mike Pramik

Its menu offered chicken fingers, but the Cinema Grill movie theater at the Continent ended up laying an egg.

Just five weeks after it opened, the dinner-and-a-movie venue that was expected to bolster the Continent's rebirth has closed. Cinema Grill was the victim of poor execution and even worse planning, say the Continent's developers, who vow to run the theater themselves.

Realty Finance Management will take the summer to regroup and remodel the former Loews theater at 6360 Busch Blvd. It has hired Larry Gardner, a 25-year veteran of AMC Entertainment Inc., to develop a new plan that will again bring first-run movies to the North Side entertainment center.

"It's a first-run movie theater first, and we are going to offer a wider variety of food than what is available in the average movie theater,'' Gardner said. "We think it was a very unfortunate misstep between the Cinema Grill folks and getting this done.

"We want to be absolutely sure we do it right this time.''

David Farnsworth, managing director of Realty Finance, said the theater will reopen in 90 to 120 days after remodeling to improve the layout and seating.

What happened at Cinema Grill?

"What didn't happen?'' said Doug Huff, manager of the Continent.

The concept was established by Jim and John Duffy, owners of Restaurant Entertainment Group in Atlanta. But the brothers, who grew up in Upper Arlington, sold the Continent location to Larry Jones and Dale Obracay. Their company, National Entertainment, was to operate the theater as a Cinema Grill franchise.

The eight-screen theater opened April 8, after Realty Finance spent $1.2 million on its renovation. The project was delayed more than once and opened nine months later than first announced.

Huff said the theater operators had problems from the outset balancing sound and picture, the crew seemed unprepared, and the layout was inefficient.

"The kitchen was in the back of the building, which is the greatest distance to ever have to deliver food to a theater seat,'' Huff said.

The concept was faulty from the beginning, Gardner said, because it reduced seating from 3,000 to 751.

"You cannot turn enough gross to please the (movie) distributors to remain first-run with eight screens and 751 seats,'' Gardner said.

It all led Realty Finance to ask for early termination of the lease it had with Cinema Grill and a Florida company that was to run the theater.

Jim Duffy didn't return calls seeking comment. Executives at Florida-based National Entertainment also were not available for comment.

Plans call for moving the kitchen and a full-service bar to the front of the building, with fast-casual service. Gardner said that moviegoers will be able to purchase food and drinks in the bar and restaurant area and carry it with them into the theaters. There will be no servers inside the theaters.

The remodeling will cause Realty Finance to miss the summer movie season, but Farnsworth said the theater will complement other entertainment venues, apartments and athletic centers that have opened since Realty Finance bought the Continent in 2001.

"The building's there, that's No. 1,'' Farnsworth said. "We did a large amount of work in getting it ready for the last opening.

"We still believe the concept is viable.''

Larry Gardner was the district manager of AMC for many years in this area. At least he has some experience in the business...

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2004 08:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiring theater people won't cut it. They need restaurant managers coupled with a self-managing experienced booth team to make it work. The average corporate multiplex manager doesn't know enough about the booth because it's not his/her primary job to do it right, and they know even less about running a kitchen. This doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 08:52 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After about 2 years, we're still running strong (Farrelli's). Fortunately the owners are restaurant people and serve good food, etc, and everything seems to be moving in the right direction. We're second run shows too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2004 10:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Huff said the theater operators had problems from the outset balancing sound and picture, the crew seemed unprepared, and the layout was inefficient."

I'd sure like to know what dealer led them down the wrong path!!

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2004 10:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nowhere in the article did it say that ANY of that $1.2 million was spent in the booth. My bet is they opened with the same old worn out junk that Loews left behind.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2004 10:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta wonder if they pocked alot of the dough instead of doing what should have been done in the booth. I've reopened older Lowes/Cineplex theatres before and the equipment was not that bad..... Just needed some repairs, modifications, and upgrades.

Mark

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 10:50 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to bet that there was gross mismanagement of funds, at the very least.
There are several good examples of how the dinner/theater concept can work, and work well, but mysertiously the Cinema Grill folks don't seem to find success.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2004 11:07 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just the fact that it was another Restaurant Entertainment Group operation says alot. [Roll Eyes]

REG also went under the name of Entertainment Film Works (EFW--see the thread about them!). Same people running that company who also stiffed many landlords.

[ 05-16-2004, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Ken Layton ]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-16-2004 01:28 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if that theater still had the same old equipment still in it, it goes back to the old Mid-states days in the 70's. Cinema Grill had a twin here locally that was open for less than a year before it closed down.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 01:53 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
REG - Restaurant Entertainment Group
REG - Regal Entertainment Group

Anyways....

I assisted is opening a Cinema Grill about 5 years ago. The fact that it was a franchise was the biggest pain. Also, we did not run 1st run product there. In the right town, under the right circumstances, with the right balance of theatre people and restaurant people - it can be done AND make a profit.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2004 01:18 PM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm not a big fan of this premise, 'restraunt and theatres' it does seem to work. The Alamo Drafthouse has expanded rapidly over over the past two years, and began franchising a year ago. They have opened in two older REG sites in austin in addition to thier 'attic' location downtown, and are planning another by the begining of next year. They have expanded to Houston, San Antonio and are actually building from the ground up in San Marcus later this year. While the seating renovations cut thier possible attendance in half and don't open till 4pm on most days, they sell food hand over fist.
I have to assume the film companies take 99% or all of the gross to make up for lost shows and in a competitive zone are paying out the wazoo for certain runs, but the Austin enviroment loves 'em. Like I said, I don't like em, I think they are overlit, don't like waiters walking around all the time and definatly dont like smelling all the food, but evidently its just me in that boat. Although when the lease is up and the new theatre is open its said the downtown 'attic' will be demolished, really don't like that building. All this being said, I have seen the booths and while they may not be the best in town, they do have ok presentation, and offer lots of repratory titles, to keep it quirky and appealing to the 'Keep Austin Wierd' people.

Anyway this was all just a rant on these style of restraunts, to each there own.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2004 10:46 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Layton
Just the fact that it was another Restaurant Entertainment Group operation says alot.
As someone who was stiffed by REG/EFW, it certainly does to me. Any Cinema Grill operation that wants to do business with me in the future will be paying in advance...

Jeff Stuckey
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 12:23 PM      Profile for Jeff Stuckey   Email Jeff Stuckey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understanding that the CINEMA GRILL will open two locations in Tulsa, OK in the coming year. They will open [completely destroy anything left of the good theatre that was there] at the Eton Square 6 and Woodland Hills locations. Which sucks bad because the Woodland is the only theater left here in Oklahoma with the old GCC 'C I N E M A' lettering over it. Maybe I should write to them and ask if I can have it, since they will trash it anyway.

Anyone want to take bets on how long these two operations will last? Both theaters closed initially because the competetion in that part of town became way too great. And by looking at the Cinema Grill's website, they are second run?? That will be great considering there is already an 8-screen second run house right across the street from Woodland Hills (Movies 8).

Should be interesting.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 06:21 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Saginaw, MI we had an enterprise called "Cinema and Suds". It was a two screen restaurant bar combination which also showed movies. They were second run and only ran late afternoon, evening and late evening shows. Each screen had about 100 seats at little bars with stools and chairs around small tables which faced the screens.

When the building was ready for the equipment, they discovered that the screens were flat to the outside walls. So they had to cut holes in the brick walls and make boxes outside for the three screen channel speakers. The building looked a little funny with those six boxes poking out of the wall.

We only went there once. It was very noisy. The later it got the greater the noise. It seemed that everyone had already seen the film as there was little attention paid to the screen.

The menu was sandwiches, nachoes, pizza and, of course, alcoholic beverages galore. When the business was no longer a novelty and attendance dropped off, they tried making the theatres into meeting rooms with video projection. That didn't last as there are only so many business meetings with Power Point shows in any one year.

The building became the headquarters for an internet company and then was sold and enlarged for other offices.

The location was great, just across the street from a shopping mall and kitty corner from where Kerasotes later built and still operates a 10 plex, Fashion Square Cinema.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2004 07:18 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth,

Interesting that you mention the speakers sticking out of the back of the theatre. The center channel speakers in the original 4 rooms at the Continent also were in enclosures that protruded from the back of the theatre.

The Continent was a mid-70's Mid-States house, as Daryl noted. It is one of the legendary Mid-States theatres that had the projectors sitting open in the lobby. They finally built enclosures for them in the later years when Loews/Sony took over.

I never saw a screening there without a problem. BUT, they had magic bookers who always got the latest/greatest films, and 70mm prints whenever they were available.

I knew someone who had 3 cinema/grill type houses locally, and he was very clear about being in the food business, not the film business. If the food wasn't good, people would NOT come for the films.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: