Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Lawful Carry of Concealed Handguns (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Lawful Carry of Concealed Handguns
Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2004 07:40 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohio's law that allows the lawful carry of concealed handguns went into effect on april 8. This law allows concealed handguns to be carried by individuals who have passed a training class and have undergone criminal backround checks. There are now only four states in the union who do not have such a law.

This is all pretty new to those people that aren't very informed on the subject and many private businesses have posted signs banning the carry of concealed handguns on their property.

How do other theatres in states with this law handle it? Do you post signs stating guests are not allowed to carry or do you not? Are you aware of such laws? Do you care? Thanks for any input!

Additional info about diffrent state laws regarding concealed carry can be found at www.packing.org

[ 05-12-2004, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Brian Hogan ]

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-11-2004 10:47 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I carry a concealed weapons license. There are times I do just that....pack heat! Loaded, too.

Sometimes my job might require it.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-11-2004 10:47 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatres are either private property, owned or leased by the operators, or part of managed retail clusters.

I can't imagine anyone signing a lease that would accept a property manager's requirement to allow weapons into the area that you or your company rents.

If you own your property outright, there's nothing that forces you to allow weapons on your property any more than they're allowed in a public school.

There is no situation I can imagine where you, as a business owner, would be required to allow weapons past the threshold of your business... except maybe a law enforcement officer. Even then (if you're worried about it), if they're not on an official call, you may not be able to relieve them of their weapons, but you don't have to let them into your building, either. While the law may allow weapons under specific circumstances in public places and private residences, that doesn't mean you are forced to do so as well.

Cheeseburgers and bottled soda pop are legal in my state, but I don't let people bring them into my theatre, either.

(edit)
As for Paul... he'd probably be smart enough to keep his "heat" to himself. If I knew he had it however, I'd probably ask him to take it outside. Sorry, Paul... I'm not an anti gun freak... just can't see myself accepting any potential liability for knowing that one was in my building. That would infer a relationship where I knew it was here, yet somehow had informed confidence that a second party could be trusted to maintain it within whatever my personal parameters were. In reality, I've rarely seen that scenario work out very well.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-11-2004 10:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to clarify my comment. I agree with Jack for the most part. However, the last time I did a "Proof of performance" of an AM radio station, I carried it because of the areas I had to go to get my readings. Some of those places made my hair stand on end.... [Frown]

As an edit for Jack: I can truthfully say I have never carried it in a theater or inside the radio station. [Smile]

No need to. [Smile]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-11-2004 10:54 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that situation, I would probably do the same thing! [Wink]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-11-2004 11:44 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's certainly not the licensed gun toter you have to be concerned about sticking it in your face. The crime perpetrator doesn't license his gun and couldn't if he wanted to. It the licensed carrier pulled a stick-up he'd be crazy since the cops already have his address, mug shot and prints. A neighborhood grocery here, after several robberies put a .38 in a holster in view on every employee from cashiers to the janitor, Guess What?? No more hold ups. The best criminal is one killed in the commission of his crime. Saves money wasted on a trial.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 01:00 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you kick anyone out because they have a gun, you need to check your state laws regarding the prohibition of firearms on certain properties. One of those little signs with a picture of a gun slashed out is not legal in texas. Most concealed carriers will respect their wishes and take their business elsewhere. Of course you have the right to refuse service but if you say it is because of the gun, you may end up with a law suit on your hands.

I commend any LAW ABIDING citizen who carries a gun and makes the world a safer place to live. As stated above, it is the people out there with illegal weapons that you need to worry about.

I wonder how long this topic will be open before people start acting like two year olds throwing a temper tantrum.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-12-2004 01:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a CHL and have been through the process of meeting the guidelines. As Chris has pointed out, it's not the people who legally carry handguns, it's those who carry them illegally.

Chris is also correct about prohibiting licensed people from carrying a concealed handgun into your theaters. Those little signs that stipulate "no guns on the premesis" mean absolutely nothing legally...at least in the state of Texas. Your theater may be your private property, but unless you meet certain criteria such as being a school or a large amount of your business is derived from the sale of alcoholic beverages, you can not prevent a licensed citizen from carrying on your premesis. Sorry, tough, deal with it.

Nicholas Suchyta
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 01:28 AM      Profile for Nicholas Suchyta   Email Nicholas Suchyta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Michigan we've got the CCW permits as well. The restrictions here are that you cannot carry a weapon on school or government property, as well as a few other places. You can legally carry the weapon anywhere, private or not, as long as it's not government or school.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 03:39 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you disallow weapons in your theater, will you hold them for customers during the show? we do that with food. i'm not arguing that you should be required to do this, although i think most policies should be designed so that, even if the customer is not aware of it before arriving, a way can be found to make an accomodation that allows him/her to see the film.

carl

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-12-2004 04:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but a manager cannot "hold" a customer's firearm. Even if a police officer was going to hold it or requested the gun, the licensed owner does not have to relinquish it even to an officer of the law (unless they are posing a specific threat to people around them). Likewise, few people will be willing to leave the firearm in their car, for they are responsible for that gun even if some kids break into their car during the show and get ahold of it.

As I said before, there is nothing anyone can do if a licensed person wants to bring it in. They are concealed anyway. The "don't ask, don't tell" attitude works well in this situation. Besides, it is their right to carry and none of your business. Ask any cop, they will all reiterate the fact that the licensed carriers are not the problem, it's those without a license that cause problems.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 06:32 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure this is not the norm, but it is definitely a good reason for not permitting firearms.
When I was a manager, a family came in one Sunday afternoon to one of the lame-o kid movies (Pokemon 2000). The father had on a fanny pack that we later found out had a gun in it. Appearently, during the movie, he took it off and put it on the floor in front of him since it was not confortable (I guess). He got up, and went to the concession stand. The lights were already down in the auditorium since the movie had started. While he was gone, his wife and daughter went out to the bathroom not knowing that dad had left the fanny pack containing a gun on the floor.
This theater was full of children. Luckily, an usher noticed an unattended bag on the floor and picked it up. It had somehow been kicked into the aisle.
I can only imagine what would have happened if a kid in the theater had openned it up. Luckily, we had an off duty officer working who ended up giving the guy a LONG speech about it. Appearently, the guy that left his gun unattended in the auditorium was an off duty DEA agent.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-12-2004 08:10 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a theatre in Minneapolis, where it is OK to pack. However, signs are posted on every entrance door which states, no firearms allowed. It was weird to see a sign posted like that. Brad is 100% correct; we would not (and I hope no one else) would EVER hold someone's weapon while they watch a film. God, talk about a lawsuit waiting to happen...

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 08:56 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A story that I heard out of Tennessee (whether it's true or not, I do not know):

Either an off duty police officer was working at the theatre OR watching a movie. Anyways, the officer's gun ended up getting 'held' in the office. The story comes out of the Hollywood 27 in Nashville. That theatre's manager's office was directly behind the box cashier's station. During the evening the gun somehow was discharged and struck one of the cashiers in the back of the leg. It was said that it accidently went off, but I believe there was an investigation into whether or not the managers were 'playing' with the gun.

As a manager, if I can see the gun -it does not go into the theatre. I have had people walk in the door with a gun in a holster on thier belt - and they were not police officers....

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2004 09:20 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree as well with the whole good guys with guns thingy. the banning of concealed guns on private property is part of the ohio law. under the law, private employers may, but are not required to, prohibit the presence of firearms on their property.

on a different note, just to show how weird this new ohio law is, the language of the law regarding CONCEALED carry in a car:

"you may not transport a concealed, loaded handgun unless it is carried in a holster on your person and in plain sight."

plain sight, eh? pretty good concealed carry law.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: