Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Best Promotion

Author Topic: Best Promotion
David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 02:47 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are planning a promotion for Shrek 2. Wondering what the best recieved promotion you ever initiated.

Cheers

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-10-2004 10:38 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do a web search on "Hollywood Reporter" and "Showmanship Awards":

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/feature_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000469078

quote:
Showmanship Awards has honored for the past three years. To determine the winners, a panel of judges evaluates the promotional, philanthropic and outreach efforts from individuals and theaters from across the country.

For MGM's 2002 James Bond film "Die Another Day," Todd Hiler, operations manager for the Jack Loeks Theatres and Celebration! Cinema in Lansing, Mich. and honoree for Best Cross Promotion, negotiated cross-promotional deals with local businesses including popular ice cream store, Melting Moments.

"You learn things from each promotion and, hopefully, you put that toward your next promotion to make it a bigger and better one," Hiler says.

Honorees receive a Showmanship Award, a certificate of excellence and a $1,000 cash prize, as well as a free trip to ShoWest.

2004 Showmanship Award Winners

Best Use of Newspaper
"X2: X-Men United"
Joseph A. Girouard
Brenden Theatres Las Vegas 14 at the Palms, Las Vegas

Best Presentation Binder
"Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl"
Sherry Gartley
The Movie Experience 17 at California Oaks, Murrieta, Calif.

Best Cross Promotion
"Die Another Day"
Todd Hiler
Celebration! Cinema, Lansing, Mich.

Best In-Theater Display
"Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas"
Jodi Pine
Muvico Pointe 21, Orlando, Fla.

Best Community
Outreach
Kids Week
Jeremy Kress
Studio 28, Grand Rapids, Mich.

Best Use of Media/Stunts
"2 Fast 2 Furious"
Nancy Chevres
Muvico Paradise 24, Davie, Fla.

Gold Heart Award for Philanthropy
Andrew Sherbin
Famous Players, Toronto

Doesn't Dreamworks have any ideas on their exhibitor website?

I can think of some:

Donkey rides
Cat costume contest (Puss-in-boots)
Costume Contest
Coloring Contest
Free "makeovers" into ogres
Prize of a Honeymoon trip
Worst in-law essay contest

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 04:30 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do a huge promotion for a movie that will gross so much money? (Other than to enter a contest for DreamWorks and win money?)

Why don't we promote movies like "New York Minute" that don't do so well at the box office?

Anyways,the best promotion I was ever involved in was the original "Addams Family" movie. I still have the certificate on my wall. (Along with my "Escape from L.A." certificate).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: