Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Spanish Dubbed Films

Author Topic: Spanish Dubbed Films
Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2004 01:40 PM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are in a heavy Spanish population. We are going to try and use one screen as Spanish Dubbed or Spanish spoken films. We are trying to avoid subtitled prints. Right now we will have Haunted Mansion and Hidalgo.

Has anybody worked with a somebody on getting these films and/or know how to get access to them. According to our booker they are far and between.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-08-2004 02:13 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Major studio Spanish dubbed films are hard to find in the USA market since the majority ( with a minor exception of some Disney product )is shipped to Latin America as sub-titled. Films for Spain are generally dubbed but labs and studios in Europe handle that chore and they are not "day and date" generally to the USA in relation to release schedule.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-08-2004 02:51 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a theater in Miami, and also several Spanish-speaking people around where I work here in Connecticut. So, I thought it would be a good idea to get Spanish dubbed films. My idea was to run a few 3:00 and 5:00 shows, just on Sundays, with the Spanish language DTS disks and gauge the reaction. I knew no one would agree to running Spanish dubbed films, on, say, a Friday night.

Before spending any money I started asking around, at stores, McDonald's etc., any Spanish people I met, if they would go. I discovered two things I didn't expect. First, most of them said they work everyday, all day, and so would not be able to go. Second, many said they actually like to hear the movie in English. They like America, and want to be a little bit like 'Americans' by watching a movie with other Americans. One girl I spoke to at McDonald's (through another girl translating) said she loves American actors, wants to see and hear them, and would be disappointed if the film were dubbed. When I pointed out she couldn't know what they were saying, she said, Oh, no, I understand very well.. I just listen to their tone and look in their eyes, and I can follow what they say no problem.

So, I'm a little wiser about life, but now I don't know if I'd really be helping anyone or not.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 07:54 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've often wondered about this idea, too. There are a lot of areas in Florida that are heavily Spanish.

How difficult is it to get subtitled prints? Could you run a show with just subtitles, and then another show with the Spanish Dubbed DTS discs? That sounds like it could please both sides. Does DTS offer foreign language subtitles for its CSS system?

=TMP=

Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 08:33 PM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are in a predominatly hispanic area. Over 40 percent of the area is hispanic. As an example. I have 40 employees including myself and 35 are hispanic.

Plus we are a discount house. We have Haunted Mansion and Hidalgo booked as of now. I think the shot is worth it, considering discount is getting the junk 1st run played earlier right now.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 10:25 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a theatre in South Miami once (Kendall - aka Northern Cuba)-The Miller Square 8. Where I was the only gringo in the whole building. We tested this theory once. We took the regular version of the latest action flick and put it in house #1 and we put the spanish dubbed version of the same film in #8.

#1 sold the most tickets all weekend. As far as #8 - less than half the attendance -and that was because #1 had to have some bleed over.The customers spoke enough English to tell me that American Films were made to run in English - that way they can learn all the swear words for when they have to tell us gringos off!

Martin Daian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 11:59 PM      Profile for Martin Daian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have like 50 35mm prints that i like to sell, all are in original english language with spanish subtitles, i only have the prints not copyrights available, i don't know if can be showing in a commercial theater in Usa, if anybody have interest my email is: cinefilm@adinet.com.uy , i can send a list, Martin

Roy Martinez
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Roy Martinez   Author's Homepage   Email Roy Martinez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone,

I will have to say that the idea of having Spanish dubbed films is interesting but its a niche market to satisfy and would lead to increased costs with little return.

My theatre ran a print of Scary Movie 3 subtitled in Spanish and it ended up upsetting more customers than anything. I would say that a good fifty to sixty percent of our customers are Spanish speaking and the majority found it to be out of the ordinary and did not partake to it. Needless to say we have not had one more subtitled print to date.

I think what John said is perfectly representative of how the Hispanic community feels about movies (and on America in general).

Speaking from personal experience the vast majority Hispanics/Latinos living in the USA would like to be assimilated into the culture. I know that my father would have never enjoyed the all his favorite John Wayne movies if they were dubbed or sub-titled [Big Grin] and he doesn't speak English. Unless there is an obvious demand for dubbed/sub-titled movies I would not press it to society.

[beer]

I dont think its wise to sell "original prints" of dubbed movies on a personal basis... Martin (just a thought I could be wrong [thumbsup] ).

Ray Kaufman
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2004 01:08 AM      Profile for Ray Kaufman   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Kaufman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Los Angeles, where you'd think there'd be a ready-made and enthusiastic market for Spanish subtitled, currently released films, that very specialized market has been drastically reduced in the last 5 or so years. Most of the old palaces on Broadway, that once featured these films, have been shuttered. Even in the outskirts, once home to numerous theatres catering to the hispanic niche, they've either given up and closed or have reverted to straight runs of current films. Even houses that played the cheap Mexican made novellas with 2X1 on the marquee haven't been seen for years. For whatever reason, it appears there is no longer a market.

Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2004 02:20 AM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
were you all backed up by radio stations and print..or did you just use ad shells in the newspaper?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: