Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » theater or theatre

Author Topic: theater or theatre
Ray Kaufman
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2004 01:55 AM      Profile for Ray Kaufman   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Kaufman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed a comment on another topic which leads to the question, what do you think? Is the name of the joint spelled "re" or "er" on the end? I've always understood that "theater happens in a theatre." That it ends in "re" when referring to the building and "er" when referring to a performance. Actually, about every old ad I've seen from the age of nickelodeons on, all have the name of the place ending in "re." What say you?

|  IP: Logged

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2004 02:40 AM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
I was taught the exact opposite. Theater being the building, and theatre being what takes place.

Now, this is in no way a definitive source, but:

http://webcdi.com/theater/theatre.php says:

quote:
1.3 What is the correct spelling of theatre/theater? [AW/ELN]
[AW]: Francis Hodge published an article about this in THEATRE SURVEY in the late 1960's. "Theater" is a result of Noah Webster's efforts in the 1830s to create an American language purified of English spellings: that's when we lost "colour" "centre" and a lot of other words that Noah deemed to be too British for the new American democracy. Since the American theatre/theater at the time was still dominated by British actors and managers, along with American actors and managers trying to suggest that theater/theatre was a high class art, the practitioners rather stubbornly clung to the British spelling. There have been a lot of attempts to differentiate usage ever since, but whatever the market or editor or style sheet will accept will work.

About the naming of the newsgroup [ELN, comments: eliz@world.std.com]:

Back in 1990 or so when I [ELN] proposed creating the newsgroup, I polled the members of the musicals mailing list as to a preferred spelling. The overwhelming support was for 'theatre' over 'theater' for several reasons, among them a) that 'theater' represented the building and 'theatre' represented the art and b) that Americans were the only country that spelled the word 'theater', and it would be more international in flavor to use 'theatre'. It was also said that 'theatre' looked more elegant. Thus the name was submitted for the discussion as rec.arts.theatre, and when the question came up again during the pre-vote period it became obvious that the popular support was still for 'theatre' over 'theater', and it was voted on that way.

No definite answer, but more ideas.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2004 04:59 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"theater" say i. the other way just strikes me as pretentious. unfortunately, i work for a "theatre" corporation.

carl

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-07-2004 05:27 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere that the preferred usage is "theatre" referring explicitly to cinema and motion pictures; "theater" referring to stage production. Which may seem backward if "theatre" is the "pretentious" one.

Both are correct spellings, so I tend not to care. It's when things like "lite" beer and drive-"thrus" come into the language that I get perturbed.

Roger Katz
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2004 05:30 AM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My spellcheck does not recognize "theatre" as a legitimate spelling.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2004 07:20 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been discussed before over here...

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f1/t002320/p1.html

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: