Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Will "TROY" recoup it's production costs.? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Will "TROY" recoup it's production costs.?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-05-2004 12:39 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a very good article about Brad Pitt and his latest film "TROY" in USA Today, yesterday and it had reported that the film had cost 200 million to produce. I am not sure if that amount had also included advertising and production. costs but if it did, the film will have to gross over 300 million to show a profit. I have seen the trailer many times and I must admit, the film looks very good and I will see it in a theatre. Having Orlando Bloom in the film is also a great plus. If the film is as good and exciting as the trailer, it should do very well. Even if it falls short during it's theatrical engagements, it should recoup it's costs from home video. I do not know what the final numbers were for "THE LAST SAMURAI" but I also know this was another expensive Warner Brothers film and from the large crowd eager to buy a DVD yesterday of the film at Circuit City here in Honolulu, it should do well. I predict the same for "TROY" as long as the film does not suck. If the film is just as good as the studio's similar 1956 film, "HELEN OF TROY" , I know I will enjoy it. By the way, does anyone know the films running time?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 12:50 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to boxofficeprophets.com

Total Running time: 165 minutes

This is going to be towards 3hrs with previews

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-05-2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Richard

I had a feeling the movie was going to have a very long playing time. Although I had enjoyed the movie very much, Brad Pitt's other three hour film "MEET JOE BLACK" bombed at the box office. If "TROY" can generate the same kind of interest "TITANIC and the "LORD OF THE RINGS" trilogy, the other films with 3 hour plus running times, it will do well. If not, Warner Brothers will be in the same situation as Disney with "THE ALAMO".

-Claude

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2004 06:59 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Will Troy recoup it's (sic) production costs?" It could with a little creative Hollywood accounting. [Smile]

Maybe we should ask if it will turn a profit? Creative Hollywood accounting again! [Wink]

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2004 09:15 PM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Hawaii 50
Brad Pitt's other three hour film "MEET JOE BLACK" bombed at the box office.
Are you honestly comparing Meet Joe Black to Troy in terms of how well Troy will do at the box office? Yes, they're both three hours, and yes they both have Brad Pitt. But a three-year-old could watch the trailers to each and see that there's absolutely NO other relation between them. That's like comparing a TeleTubbies movie to Showgirls because they both got made with Kodak VISION color print film.

Alex Rolfe
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2004 06:48 PM      Profile for Alex Rolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Rolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a preview screening here at MIT on Wednesday. It filled our 550 seat auditorium and we had to turn more than 200 people away, so it certainly seems to have generated plenty of interest. It was good, though not great IMO, and the audience laughed at a number of parts that weren't intended to generate laughter.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-07-2004 11:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who really cares if it does or not??? I certainly don't. If the studios are not more careful in how they spend and what they make, then they deserve to lose their shirts.

Mark

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-08-2004 01:03 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you, Mark

I just purchased Robert Wise's 1955 version "HELEN OF TROY" today and it too cost a lot of money to produce at $6 million when most films at that time were being made for under a million. No matter how many times studios take a risk and fall far short of their production cost after spending an obscene amount of money like Disney did with "THE ALMO" , they will continue the practice and it will only be a matter of time when a film will costs three hundred million dollars to produce. Although "HELEN OF TROY" was an expensive film to produce, it was very well received in theatres. It was and still is one of my favorite films about ancient Greece. I have been reading all kinds of reactions from people who have seen early screenings of "TROY" and the majority is not very good. If this is any kind of indication of how the film will be viewed by the public, it will fail just like "MEET JOE BLACK" did. For your information, Kyle, that was my point when I asked how "TROY" will be accepted by the public and critics when they watch another Brad Pitt three hour film like "MEET JOE BLACK" I liked that film but almost all of the critics and the majority of the public did not. If "TROY" is trashed by the majority of the ciitics, it too fill fail. For your information, my name is Claude and NOT Hawaii 5-0, Kyle !

-Claude

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2004 01:02 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Troy will most likely crash & burn in the smaller towns/markets, just like Gladiator did.

Tim Lockridge
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2004 02:10 PM      Profile for Tim Lockridge   Email Tim Lockridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
Troy will most likely crash & burn in the smaller towns/markets, just like Gladiator did.
Those pesky small towns and their aversions to Oscar winning films.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-08-2004 05:48 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Small towns didn't like Gladiator because it was rated R. Troy is rated R as well.

Meet Joe Black had a budget of $90 million. Apparently, some retard at the studio thought that the movie would gross more than that. But it didn't because it sucked.

Legends of the Fall (another movie over 2 hours with Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins) had a budget of $30 million and grossed $66 million. And it didn't suck.

Troy at least has Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom prancing around in skimpy costumes going for it. [Razz]

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2004 06:47 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude:
"Troy" - danish prints will run 163 mins

I too have only seen the trailer yet, but i'm convinced, it will be something real great. -Just sad, we have so little time for it: opening in Denmark may, 19th., with Potter to follow allready june, 11th. -But thats a luxury problem ! [Big Grin]

Per

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the review at Hollywood Reporter is hardly negative, yet the Rottentomatoes conversion takes that review for a negative. The Review at HR is definitely more positive than negative.

All in all, I feel critics are not going to lightly dismiss off this film. When more reviews come in, this one will feel fresh at RT.Com.

Also, I cannot really appreciate what makes anybody think this film will not turn out a profit for the distributor. Even if this film does not cross 150 million theatrically in the US, there are many other revenue streams that count.

However, I predict this film will have a shattering opening next week.

BTW, Van Helsing seems to be just a 'three day' movie. So, competition for TROY next week is very slim or near absent.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 01:41 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
If "TROY" is trashed by the majority of the ciitics, it too fill fail.
"TROY" is probably a more critic-proof film than "MEET JOE BLACK."

John Wayne had cameos in two Cinerama roadshows, "How the West Was Won" and (ok, UP70 marketed as "Cinerama") "The Greatest Story Ever Told" ("Truly He waz the son of God"). The success of the first did not lead to the success of the second.

George C. Scott was in both D-150 films, "The Bible" and "Patton." Again, the failure of the first did not lead to the failure of the second (and both were VERY close in running time).

Julie Andrews was in two Todd-AO films that each ran close to three hours. "The Sound of Music" and Star!" AND they shared the same director. One was a hit (an understatement) and one was an outright disaster, even though its really not that bad.

Get the picture, Claude?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-10-2004 01:13 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget, the currently reigning box-office champ (at least in terms of dollars, not attendance numbers) is "Titanic," which had a running time of 3 hours 14 minutes.

I doubt if "Troy" will do $600 million in North American box-office the way "Titanic" did. But its running time will not be an issue for or against its success. If the movie is really good, the audiences will find a way to see it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: