Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Advanced Preview Security Measures (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Advanced Preview Security Measures
Brent Mahaney
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 08:05 PM      Profile for Brent Mahaney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you screening Shrek 2 early, I just saw that you will have a security guard receiving the print and camping out in your booth while you build it and tear it down. But as though that weren't enough, you will also have security officers running wands up and down your customers and checking their purses. Just another way to say, "Hey! Thanks for coming to the airport...er..I mean, movies!"

[Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-29-2004 08:41 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you'd like to edit your topic to something regarding the content of your post rather than your name.

The security methods you describe are common nowadays on advanced previews.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-30-2004 09:19 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Steve said it's old news.

But, I've run it twice and I had no security on both runs.

Brent Mahaney
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 05:49 PM      Profile for Brent Mahaney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing like a little condescension to to get the day started right, is there? I know I feel better. But now that I have changed the title of my post, let me apologize for beating a dead horse on the security issue. I am not in what one would consider a big market, so while I understand that these security measures are standard for the large markets, they aren't so standard for smaller markets.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-30-2004 09:06 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly no condescension was intended. It's just become part of the landscape now.

At my screening room the studios will often send a security person to watch over things--kind of pointless because the viewers (critics) are pretty much the same people day in and day out and if some interloper whipped out a video camera (and was somehow not noticed by the publicist or by me) there's no doubt that one of my loyal gang would come back and tell me about it. But whatever lets the studios sleep better at night is fine by me. We all have jobs to do.

Security also often means a courier staying with the print. Also fine by me. Especially if it's a certain female who'll bring me lunch! [Big Grin]

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2004 12:28 AM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be great if we could have security people on hand to deal with all of the people we have to turn away due to the screening being overbooked. [Smile]

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2004 03:52 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I did Lord of the Rings for New Line in Dallas the stupid ass new line exec that was there tried to bring in a big gym bag.....HE WAS WITH NEW LINE AND HE KNEW ABOUT THE FREAKING SECUIRTY!!!! Then he tried to pull the "Well I work for New Line" card and was in no uncertian terms told to take his bag away... that was a great screening...lots of press coverage and lots of cool people. The only thing I hated about the security companies was Pinkerton (sp) there checkers were alwasy late and then they wanted to be jerks by walking up and down the aisle to double check because they were not there when we let in the lines. For the studio reps that have to work the screenings, it makes it a whole lot easier for us to just deal with the people and not have to be on the lookout for cameras and whatnot

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2004 11:42 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For our screening of Laws of Attraction last month at the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, a courier delivered the print to me in the booth at 6:30 for an 8PM show. He stayed for the screening, then watched as I took the last reel out of the magazine, and placed it back in the can, and off he went. There were also checkers downstairs at the lobby entrance.

Mark Gist
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2004 11:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gist   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Gist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had "security" for a screening of Lion King 1 1/2, checked people at the door, (there weren't alot) with wands, and even came up to booth to do a "visual" check of the projector, I don't think the guy ever saw a projection booth, let alone knew what to look for. Didn't make to much sense, they weren't there the day before when I built it up, or when we pre-screened it, then again it was released on dvd a week later, and there were already copies of it on the net, and come on who would want to steal this movie?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-06-2004 11:28 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... copies of it on the net , and come on who would want to steal this movie?

Looks like someone did.

Mark Gist
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2004 12:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gist   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Gist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, I guess someone was bored [sleep] I love contradicting myself [thumbsup]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 05-06-2004 12:57 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Warning is being printed on invitations to advanced screenings. These special advanced screenings are ones you RSVP not those so-called sneak previews.

NO RECORDING OF THIS MOTION PICTURE, BY ELECTRONIC OR ANY OTHER MEANS, IS PERMITTED.

YOU WILL BE SUBJECT TO SEARCH AND INSPECTION.

Individuals entering the theatre will be subject to physical search and inspection of their person and personal effects for recording devices and may be required to pass through a metal detector and/or subject to scanning via a handheld metal detection device. No one possessing any camera, recorder or any other device capable of recording sound or images, including without limitation camera-equipped PDA's and cellular phones, will be permitted to attend this screening.

THIS SCREENING WILL BE MONITORED FOR UNAUTHORIZED RECORDING.

Anyone who uses a recording device or attempts to use a recording device during this screening will be subject to immediate removal, detention and civil and criminal prosecution. Any recording device (including its contents) discovered in the theatre shall be subject to immediate forfeiture and/or destruction. Unauthorized recording will be reported to law enforcement, and nothing contained in this notice shall be construed to limit our available remedies and/or legal recource, including without limitation a legal action for copyright infringement statutory damages of up to $150,000.00 per violation.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2004 03:23 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how many have security guards (I use that term loosely) standing around during the screening with night vision goggles on?

By booker say's the screenings he goes go to has used the above tactic for sometime now.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-06-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that someone should send me a pair of nightvision goggles. I, um, need them to prevent movie piracy.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-06-2004 04:16 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I think that someone should send me a pair of nightvision goggles. I, um, need them to prevent movie piracy.

For good night vision, just eat your carrots, like mom told you to. And be careful of what you see in the darkness. [Wink]

Working at a drive-in, good night vision helps alot.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: