Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Seat recommendations? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Seat recommendations?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-29-2004 06:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are going to replace most of our seats.

I want to get something that has a luxurious feel to it. I have here a sample by Greystone, it's a very well-built seat but the foam in it is fairly stiff. It feels more like you're sitting on a padded bench, rather than a cushy theatre seat.

They offer an option called "Tempur-Pedic" foam that costs extra and is supposedly better. Anyone have any experience with this option?

Any other recommendations or ideas would be appreciated. (We have a sloped floor, not stadium.)

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 03:25 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my 15 years (coming up on 16) the best seats I have seen are:

Seating Concepts

www.seatingconcepts.com

Not only do they have awesome seats, but their customer service is tremendous.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-30-2004 04:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend seats and am quite sure that studies have shown that theatres with seats outgross theatres without seats.

Seriously, though, the ones that Brad had in his screening room were super-comfortable, so you might check with him if you want high-back seats.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-30-2004 05:15 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Scott! Brad chose Mobiliario theatre seats.

Those seats are the best for quality vs. cost. I am planning on using the Concorde Rocker seats for my screening room.

http://www.mobiliarioseating.com/

>>> Phil

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 09:27 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did our entire mulitplex with Mobilario(highbacks). It's been four years since opening and we have had great luck with them.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-30-2004 09:43 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Mobilario are definitely a good choice. I fall asleep in them all the time, during boring movies. Very comfortable.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 09:49 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Dennis flat out.

They are helpful in providing service and advise in regards to anything very quickly.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 11:50 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

During October my wife and I had the opportunity to try out some Greystone "Tempur-Pedic" seats while touring one of the Warren Theatre sites in Wichita, Kansas. We found them to be very comfortable.

Randy

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 02:40 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There you go, contact each company, explain your project, figure out your price range and have them deliver a sample chair in that price range.

Stick them in your lobby and have the public sit in them and voice their opinions.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-30-2004 03:02 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Price
Stick them in your lobby and have the public sit in them and voice their opinions.

Handled correctly, getting this "voice of the customer" input is very useful, and your customers will feel you have a real interest in their opinion. Keep it simple (e.g., have them "vote" with their ticket stub and fill out a simple opinion card as to why they like or dislike a particular chair). Post the results of the vote, and deliver on what they prefer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-30-2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I was at Mikes theatre last Sunday and they presently have Seating Concept seats which are high back. I have to say I am in total agreeance with Mike and his Wife, and their customers that these highbacks are THE most uncomfortable seats ever made. The backs are like solid concrete. Aside from that Seating Concepts designed the layout for Mike and insisted that high backs would work....but they dont. Only tall adults would be able to see anyting there and kids have to stack booster seats twice over to be able to see. Unfortunately this is also the sort of experience that I've had with Seating Concepts over the last several jobs so I have stopped reccomending them, they just don't come through 100% all of the time.

With the knowledge of Irwin gouing down the drain very quickly and after looking over all seating at Showest the Greystone seats are by far and away the best there is, even miles ahead of those expensive French seats that Imax uses alot of. The build quality is so much better that all you need to do is hold a seating concepts standard in one hand and the twice as heavy Greystone standard in the other hand and you'll see. The backs are also bulettproof, made with a tubular metal frame inside the back! Even Ian could walk row to row across the backs of the seats without even phasing them. With the typical plastic back that Mobilario, Seating Concepts, and many of the new Chineese seats have you simply couldn't do it with out breaking the back clean off of the seat, I've seen it happen, the chineese seats are absolute garbage.

I agree and I reccomended that Mike stick samples in his lobby to have the public sit in them and voice their opinion of which they like the best. They're the ones buying the tickets!!

P.S. Did those that saw the Irwin display at Showest have the feeling that I did... Worst seat display of any show ever!!
Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-30-2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is true, our experience with Seating Concepts left something to be desired. They actually had to manufacture the seats twice because they left out the raisable armrests the first time around. (I always wondered what happened to that first set of seats.) And, they also left out the offset in the seats, which their installers either pretended not to notice or tried to hide from us. (Full story upon request.) We tried to sort-of fix it by removing one seat from each row and centering the remaining seats, but that just moved the problem to the sides.

I wouldn't say the backs are concrete-hard, but they're certainly not as soft as I would prefer in a theatre seat. Our biggest problem with them is the no-offset combined with the high backs...these chairs really belong in a stadium house.

Thanks to all for the recommendations so far. We do have the Greystone sample on hand already and it's in the lobby eliciting comments at this moment.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 11-21-2005 05:12 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 569 days since the last post.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2005 05:12 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do seats cost?

I ask because when I used to work for GCC and we desparately needed new seats, it was like pulling teeth. When they finally did it we had to do half of the auditoriums one year and half the next year. It was only a 1700 seat 8-plex.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-21-2005 06:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can pay anything from about $90 to over $300 depending on how fancy you want. Our Greystones cost about $160 counting freight and our audiences love them.

Recommendation: Don't deal directly with the seat company. Buy from a dealer. You'll pay some "markup" but it's worth it. You'll get the package without having to worry about the details.

Recommendation #2: Don't forget to get freight quotes from every company you are considering. Company A quoted us a freight charge $3500 higher than Company B for the same number of seats shipped about the same distance.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: