Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » old style popcorn butter

Author Topic: old style popcorn butter
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-29-2004 05:03 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
back in the days when they used real butter at theaters, what did they use? Did they just buy butter from a grocery store and melt it down? I want to do this at home, but I have heard that there is a shelf life issue as well as water content in the butter being high, will make the corn mushy.

Any old timers out there know?

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-29-2004 05:28 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to make your own popcorn butter at home, take a stick or two of regular stick butter and melt it down. Don't use that fake stuff that comes in a tub and don't use margarine. That shit is just yucky when you melt it down!

You can do it in a microwave oven if you want to but, honestly, it's easier if you use a pan and do it on the stove. Just chop the sticks of butter into small pieces first. Don't turn the heat up too high or else you'll burn the butter. (Or worse! You'll start a fire!) Just use medium heat. A little less, even. It doesn't take much heat to melt butter.

When your butter is all melted to a liquid, pour it into a glass measuring cup. Let it sit for a while. A bunch of yellowish sludge will float to the top. When the butter is all seperated, skim or pour off the sludge and keep the clear, yellow stuff on the bottom.

If you look around your kitchen, one of your womenfolk (or whoever is Head Chef of the family) might have a gravy seperator. It looks like a measuring cup but the spout comes out the bottom.

www.WilliamsSonoma.com

Whatever method you use, you need to seperate the fat out from the flavorful liquid butter or else, as you mentioned, your popcorn will get all mushy on you.

If you really want to get funky, take a little bit of crushed garlic or whatever spices turn you on and mix it with the liquid butter before you put it on your popcorn.

Or... If you want to dispense with all the dicking around get yourself one of these:

www.WhirleyPop.com

The best popcorn you'll get outside of a movie theater!
Kids think it's fun to turn the crank. (With supervision, of course!) Furthermore, it's just as fast as microwave popcorn! Whirley Pop is 1,000,000 times better than microwave! Microwave SUX! [puke]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-29-2004 05:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe one of the candy companies would sell you one jug of Odell's butterfat. That's good stuff and has a long shelf life. Normally it comes in 4-gallon cases and costs over $100 a case.

Pete Wolla
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 05:47 PM      Profile for Pete Wolla   Email Pete Wolla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use real butter on the popcorn at the tioga theatre. I think the water comes from condensation on the lid of the dispenser. when the butter is cold and hard in the dispenser poke a hole in the solid butter on two sides and you can get a small amount of water from under the butter but not much. with a large bag at $3.00 it's a bargain

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 06:46 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odell's 100% Real Anhydrous Butter Fat

Only 4 times more expensive than the Golden Shower.

www.popntop.com

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-29-2004 07:05 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tried the butterfat thing, but it was too expensive. Thanks for all the advice [Smile]

Meanwhile, I think I'll put the tioga guys on my list of places to 'dork' this summer. When do you guys run? A lot of theatres up here only run on weekends. Look for a guy on a red and black crotch rocket [Smile]

Josh

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 06:33 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
like mike and ian, we use the butterfat. it is indeed by far the most expensive item on our concessions invoice, and we give the stuff away (with purchase of a popcorn, of course), but it's worth it. that fake "topping" crap can really stink up a theater.

actually, the only place i ever eat popcorn is the red vic movie house, where they serve it in reusable bowls and ladle the butter on!

carl

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 12:46 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use Odell butterfat in the theaters I ran in the mid 80's. I had gotten into the habit of grapping a cup every night filling it with popcorn and pouring the butterfat on so I would have a snack in the office while I cashed out. This was fine until I had to have bloodwork donw for a insurance policy the results came back and the results were 4 x normal. They put me in a risk class. The butter was great but it was on its way to killing me. Still enjoy the taste but very much in moderation now.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 07:40 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, that's why i don't eat the stuff (with the above noted exception). don't drink soda either. what's okay every once in a while will kill you if you do it every day.

i don't know what's in "topping" but my gut feeling and the smell tell me it's none too healthy either.

carl

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-30-2004 08:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odell's real is my first choice...even over the Land-O-Lakes or other butter sticks...all that Odell's has done for you is to remove the water content that you need to skim off anyway. It is the smarter way to have butter.

Buttered Popcorn is a treat in my book and as such...should not be a major portion of one's diet. But when I have buttered popcorn, it better have real butter on it...I simply won't buy the oil that theatres put on.

As far as imitation buttery toppings go...Odell's gets my vote again with Super-Kist II. It too will burn if overheated.

Steve

Pete Wolla
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2004 09:36 PM      Profile for Pete Wolla   Email Pete Wolla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
open fri sat and sun at 8:00 i dont do butter but ask for the triple bypass special.helps keep the tioga medical center running

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 12:43 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Real butter here, one of our part-timers works for a major food chain and buys it with his discount and we buy it as we need it so it doesn't go bad.

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2004 02:29 PM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use 100% real Lactantia butter.........very yummy. Also carry Becel as an alternative.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: