Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Regal Entertainment is posed to enter Hawaii market (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Regal Entertainment is posed to enter Hawaii market
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-28-2004 06:18 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Honolulu Advertiser this morning reported the possible sale of all Signature theatre's 384 screens in California and Hawaii to the Regal Entertainment group, the nation's largest exhibitor. The deal has already been signed and only need to be closed by the third quarter, the paper reported. Regal now operates under the Regal Cinemas, United Artists and Edwards Theatre and it is not known if the Signature Theatres will continue to operate under that name or be known as Regal Cinemas, United Artist or Edwards Theatres. All of Pacific's Hawaii theatres operating as Consolidatres Theatres are also for sale and have been for several months now and wouldn't it be something if Regal also bought them too. If they did, do you suppose it will be a violation of federal anti trust laws when one motion picture exhibition chain controls almost all of the movie theatres in Hawaii?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-28-2004 06:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering the nature of our current political administration, I strongly doubt anyone in the federal government would raise a fuss if a single company owned all the movie theaters in Hawaii.

One company controlling all Hawaii cinemas could be potentially bad for Hawaii movie-goers however. A complacent theater circuit in a market with no competition could let a lot of things slide in terms of show quality and customer service --all just to save a buck and improve those margins for "investors." And you could expect some price increases too. This could happen, at least unless Regal understands such moves could drive a lot more customers to just watching DVDs at home.

As to the name change, it will cost Regal a good amount of money to change all the theater signage, uniforms, marquees, interior decoration, etc. from Signature Theaters identity to Regal. On top of that, customers would expect something "new" and "better" with the name change. So, I would bet Regal may just leave the theater names as they currently exist. Cost is the only reason why they haven't changed out all that United Artists and Edwards theater identity to Regal.

I'm wondering what it cost Sony to change all those Loews locations to "Sony Theaters" only to have to change them back to "Loews" again. Funny.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-28-2004 07:18 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A former client was not considered a monopoly in his market since the government authorities counted his cinemas in addition to video store operators....money wise the cinemas made more per unit but location numbers where the only statistic that mattered ( 100 cinemas / 450 video stores ) [Roll Eyes]

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 05:21 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Cost is the only reason why they haven't changed out all that United Artists and Edwards theater identity to Regal.

Regal rebranded 52 Hoyts locations (equal to the number of Edwards locations that were taken over).
Regal Cinemas, UA and Edwards are legally seperate companies that are all under Regal Entertainment Group.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 06:54 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as long as there is a Republican in the White House.....

(Oops.. sorry this is not a political thread)

When the time comes that the government feels Regal is getting too big. There will be some 'scandal' in which the execs at Regal will be brought up on some kind of charges (fraud, etc)While these charges will be completely false, Regal would have forgotten their yearly campaign contribution and be in deep.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 02:29 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy shit- I had a nightmare a few months ago that this actually happened! [Eek!]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-29-2004 03:39 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our evening paper, the Honolulu Star Bulletin reported Regal's intention to have the Signature theatres here in Hawaii as well as the others in California to retain it's name when the chain takes over after the formal sale documents are signed. Everything will remain the same except for the way Regal manages their theatres with various promotions such as the screening of rock concerts and renting of theatres for meetings and special showings. Consolidated was asked to comment but did not answer telephone calls. Scott Wallace of Wallace Theatres did comment and he had indicated that Regal will drastically make a big difference in theatre operations here in Hawaii.

-Claude

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 07:35 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Everything will remain the same except for the way Regal manages their theatres with various promotions such as the screening of rock concerts and renting of theatres for meetings and special showings"
-AND endless on-screen advertising of course. Not that Signature had anything against that by themselves of course. I worked for them before they even had slides (or even called Signature for that matter), and I still cry over how we had to keep the curtains open and stage lights off at the now-closed Cinema 2 to show those ugly things! [Mad]
In my dream the Cinema 2 was still open, and the Regal train/rollercoaster/whateveritis trailer was playing. Yes, I'm deranged [uhoh]

Robert Stawiarski
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2004 07:52 PM      Profile for Robert Stawiarski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal's advertising is actually fairly unobstrusive. It starts BEFORE the advertised showtime. If you show up on time, you do not see ANY ads. Much better than the days of 10 minutes of rolling stock playing right at the showtime.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-30-2004 03:03 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, Jesse, the roller coaster has been gone for over a year now. Its the new policy trailer thats frightening [Big Grin] .

I, personally, wish they'd bring back a new shiney updated version of the coaster trailer, with better music, and at least one upside-down loop.

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 05:09 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mike about the Regal policy trailer. Make it spiffier, but be sure to keep the huge piece of popcorn popping right in front of the roller coaster. In fact, make that popcorn piece even bigger, with louder popping action! [Big Grin]

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 01:03 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 of our remaining UA's in SF still show slides and the Roller Coaster. [Big Grin] The other two have The 20wenty. I also agree that Regal should incorporate the famous Roller Coaster into their 20wenty policy show. Would be cool if they put it on their website too. (Like how Century has their policy trailer on their website). [thumbsup]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 03:19 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
the roller coaster has been gone for over a year now.
Its still being used in Bakersfield, but two-twenty hasn't been installed yet.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-30-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that the 2wenty rollout had been completed. Guess not, my bad.

I any case, I don't much care for the policy trailer that ends the 2wenty. (Perhaps thats because I have to watch it 60 times a day!) I'd like it to be changed to incorperate a new version of the coaster.

Can someone tell me if theatres still playing the coaster have updated versions reflecting the change in candy stock? When we dumped the coaster, it featured Nestle candy, and Regal has since switched to M&M/Mars.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2004 04:00 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I see the Roller Coaster, a different candy is featured. (Usually it's the candy of the month they're promoting with their combos). I.E. one time it will be Skittles and Milk Duds. The next time it's Popables flying by on the coaster. I guess they must make and distribute new prints of the trailer featuring the candy they want to promote that month.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: