Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New zealand art house questions

Author Topic: New zealand art house questions
Heidi Good
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2004 10:07 PM      Profile for Heidi Good   Email Heidi Good   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
:Warren Smyth :So is censorship going to be a problem? I don't plan on showing graphic slasher films, I hear the woman rights movement is big there, is that more of the issue.....?
What if I make the theater 18 and over all the time??

who and How do they evaluate....do they actually watch the film first....? I want that job.

for example : evil dead II, or Sante Sangre...I mention these because I thought you would know them and they have women getting killed in them BUT there funny.....what kind of film might I have trouble with....I also wanted to do things like Wizard of oz to the Dark side of the moon sound track...very funny.

How does that work....could I create a special invite only situation for that kind of thing.....???

I really appreciate your responses...

|  IP: Logged

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2004 10:22 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who owns the New Zealand theatrical rights for these films?
An example is Silence of the Lambs through Orion.
However, since the break-up & merging & splitting of distributers no clear answer is available.You could try to just screen & be damned, but if anyone catches you be prepared to go to court.

who and How do they evaluate....do they actually watch the film first....? I want that job.
As does everyone

Check out the warning on the back of DVD's

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2004 05:00 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the DVDs that you bring in yourself or are imported , need to be evaluated even if the film is running already or has been Classified , mainly because some DVDs may contain material that will not meet the Censorship rating for the Film itself , example is that a General Cert movie showing at the local Plex could have R rated trailers or other material that does not fit the G classification of the main film ,there is a cost associated with this and a waiting time , so you can't generally copy the rating of a Cinema release even if you are not showing the trailers with the DVD .The link below is a DVD shop that is currently bringing in Zone 1 DVDs and they would be able to advise you further , there is a law that is coming into force soon to give the film Distributors 9 months breathing space before Parallel imported DVDs will be allowed , but of course this will not stop private importing . [thumbsup]
http://www.dvdshopnz.co.nz/

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2004 10:35 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, examples of overseas DVDs that are either banned or released with cuts are...
Bad Taste - cut
I Spit on Your Grave - Banned.
Cannibal Apocalypse - cut or banned (can't remember
Cannibal Holocoust - Customs will grab it
Salo - cut

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2004 11:23 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were looking at Silent movies etc , we have a Cinema in Auckland Avondale = Hollywood Cinema 20 St George Rd, Avondale Ph:09 828-8393 , that has a Wurlitzer Organ and a collection of Silent movies that have a season of these films from time to time .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: