Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How do I stop slipping on my concession floors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How do I stop slipping on my concession floors
Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 02:49 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive my ignorance oh might film gods [Big Grin]

But I was wondering if anyone had any secret trick for keeping the concession floors un-slippery during rushes???

And the first person that says "well what about those black rubber mats" should be thrown out in the street and shot...becasue they do not work...all they do is get butter and oil on them...and then you have a moving mat..

so...any help here would be nice..also, i was told that there is a product that you can paint on the bottom of your shoes for grip..anyone know what that product is called??

thanks [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-25-2004 03:06 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found that Safe-T-Step shoes from PayLess worked very well for gripping wet surfaces behind concessions.

Also, be sure that your concessionists are scooping ice from the bin using ice scoopers, and not just scooping the cup thrugh the ice bin. Not only is that a health violation in most areas, but it will also cause ice to fall out of the bin and onto the floor, making it slippery.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 09:22 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this may sound wasteful, but it will work if you are in the middle of a rush and the employees keep slipping... dump some salt on the floor. It can always be swept up later and it absorbs moisture and adds traction.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a more permanent solution you should have the floor coated with that stuff that goes in the back of pick up beds.

Xtreme Grip

-

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 12:42 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of surface is the floor in your concession stand? It amazes me the many ones I've seen with that shiny bathroom tile on the floor. The slightest bit of moisture and you're ice-skating on those!

The best thing would be a painted floor with that "gripper" stuff added in the paint, like they use for driveways and stairs in sports stadiums. It's basically paint with sand in it, but the traction is unbeatable.

Side note: The picture at left of the XtremeGrip looks like it would make a cool auditorium! Looking from the screen, just picture seats where the grip stuff is on the "floor" with your entrance in the back. Nice choice of decorative colour, too! [Smile]

=TMP=

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 01:02 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our concession stand we had new "Safety Vinyl" installed over our old vinyl. Any flooring company carries it. It is heavy-duty vinyl and it has silica chips imbedded in to the surface like sandpaper to enhance grip. It is not cheap. But the surface area of our stand wasn't that much.
 -

It's not nearly as much fun as it used to be. [Big Grin]

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 02:05 PM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of the name of the product at the moment, but there is a solution you can add to your mop water that gives added traction.

A restaurant I worked at used it in the kitchen and it worked well. I think most food service equipment dealers carry it, so you might want to give your local dealer a call.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-25-2004 03:17 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What we have in our concession is one long roll out mat. It does not have holes in it, like the black ones at the Cinemark I used to work at, so oil spills will not reach the floor, causing the mat to move around. We do not have a problem with the mat moving around as much as the black ones do.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 04:02 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not use the slippery floor to your advantage? By reducing the number of steps you take, and sliding from one area to another you'll increase productivity.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 04:43 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be a little bit off from the other replies,

Is the floor getting clean or is it always slippery...
A good dish soap really worked great for us to cut the oil and greases.
But if your having a problem just during sets then that won't help.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 08:14 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried sprinkling sawdust? I don't know where butcher shops get it, but it might be free for the asking at lumber yards.

Not all rubber mats are alike. I had a catalog of industrial mats with scores of models for various safety conditions. Most were perforated or of open-weave construction, impervious to solvents and grease, and conformed to OSSA standards. [So shoot me!] You might try a WWW search.

Blake Zaugg
Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2004 02:12 AM      Profile for Blake Zaugg   Email Blake Zaugg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every few weeks or so I'll pour some "Econo-Clean" on the floor add some water, and the buff it with the floor scrubber machine. We'll them mop up the excess water, and ta-da no more slippery floor....at least for a few more weeks.

I'll add the number where we get this stuff from later. It works really good on prety much everything. It diluted down pretty good too, so it lasts a long time.

Brandon Willis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2004 11:52 AM      Profile for Brandon Willis   Email Brandon Willis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some health departments prohibit the installation of a permanent rubber surface with treads on the floor of a food service area because it is not "easily cleanable." These places require the floor to be tiled. We use rubber mats that we can throw out when the floor is slippery and put away after we don't need them anymore. In a pinch, you can break down a cardboard box and throw it on the floor but that can present a cleanup issue if it gets soaked with butter and the 16 year olds behind the stand are grossed out by cleaning it up.

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2004 12:56 PM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work at a function hall that had a slippery kitchen floor, we just got a few buckets of paint, mixed a bunch of sand into it and painted the floor, it worked beautifully.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2004 01:57 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to check around but there are floor tiles made that are "softer" than most, making them easier on the feet and ankles, and they also have a rougher surface for traction in slippery locations.

In a pinch use kitty litter / speedy dry on the spills, gives needed traction and easy cleanup later.

You can buy "grip strips", like you see at the edges of stairs, but I don't know how health departments will see them as far as sanitary cleanups, and the oil and butter might not let the adhesive stick like it's supposed to.

Not waxing the tiles might help. A good scrubbing will usually leave them with a non-shiny finish and this might be a way to add some needed traction.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: