Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » art house theater in New Zealand

Author Topic: art house theater in New Zealand
Heidi Good
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 01:22 AM      Profile for Heidi Good   Email Heidi Good   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am moving to New Zealand in hopes to start up a cafe/ movie house. I am from San Francisco where the wierder the better is the mado...I'm not sure if NZ is ready...

I have alot of questions about laws, using videos and DVDs I've bought. Can I show them without paying royalties

( I was thinking of making it a dinner/Ent...where they pay for the food and get " free " movies...I don't know the best projectors to buy for both Video and DVD...the market is overwhelming.....does anyone have any advice

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 03:53 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heidi, if NZ laws on copyright and public performance are anything like Australia and the rest of the world, you cannot screen any film or video product unless you are the copyright holder, rent the rights (exhibition rental agreement) or it is in the public domain.

You will have to book 16mm film at the very least or 35mm film.

Good Luck!!!

David Kilderry

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 07:25 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Heidi -

Good Luck ! I think you'll find the NZ marketplace very crouded - I worked on setting up a couple of art houses there before leaving in the late 1980s but there now seem to be screens everywhere, including the Rialto Group with backing from the majors. Email me privately and I can send you Kelly's details - NZ is a fantastic place to live and thus everyone with a good idea and a bit of capital has settled there. I would be veru keen to hear more of your plans

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2004 05:37 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me, or use the e-mail on the "who" thingy
0061 3 3071230, or 0061.027 2012 782

Basically every thing you screen is subject to royalties.
Some companies will let you screen their product on DVD, but some think DVD's are the anti-christ.

Depending on where you are wanting to set up, I could put you in touch with the people who will let you screen DVD's

Best of luck

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2004 05:00 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes in Auckland we have the "Academy Cinema" that has a dedicated DVD theatre with Digital projector Set Up as well as a normal 35 mm Set up and they seem to do Quite well [thumbsup]
http://www.academy-cinema.co.nz/
This is a 2 screen cinema with the DVD theatrette (maybe 16 seats)

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2004 09:06 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heidi New Zealand is really no different from any other country which subscribes to international conventions on intellectual property. New Zealand may be at the bottom end of the world but sure isn't the third world in this area.

That doesn't mean you cannot show DVDs, in fact some film distributors such as Essential Films are bringing them in for this purpose. You cannot however publicly screen those you buy at the local music store. The moment you try, the network of exhibitors will jump on you.

One impediment which use to exist here has been removed - exhibition licences. It was illegal to show films publicly without one. This provided the means by which those who had a licence to show films could object to others from acquiring one, effectively locking out competition. This provision of the Cinematograph Films Act was repealed some years ago.

The government here however, has tightened up on even the sale of home videos and DVDs to the home buyer. These cannot now be sold until at least nine months after the release of the title in the cinema. This was done to stop the parallel importing of DVDs by some retailers. People may still import from overseas within the time limit for personal use.

Another issue is censorship, particularly if you are intending to screen art films from independant sources. Assuming that you obtain a licence agreement from the owner of the work to exhibit a movie that you have brought in, unless it has been imported by another distributor, (in which case you will be paying commercial hire to them), the title will be subject to New Zealand censorship. Before public showing, it will have to be submitted to the Recording Classification Authority for viewing. This is not a free service. In short, the movie will have to have a censorship certificate before it can be screened.

I have two friends who started art houses in a provincial towns a couple of years ago and are doing well. These people, are running 35mm film and doing it very well. It's the old story - location and film supply. You have to get both right. Good luck.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: