Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » DanBarry Cinemas to Open new 12 Screen in Chillicothe Ohio

Author Topic: DanBarry Cinemas to Open new 12 Screen in Chillicothe Ohio
Jesse Stanley
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2004 07:11 PM      Profile for Jesse Stanley   Email Jesse Stanley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danberry Cinemas has announced it plans to begin construction on a new cineplex in Chillicothe.
According to a release from the movie theatre company headquartered in Cincinnati, it will build a 12-screen, stadium seating complex on Pawnee Avenue adjacent to Bridge Street. It is expected to be in operation by Christmas 2004.
The complex itself will be about 35,000 square feet and will also feature digital stereo surround sound, a large concession area and a game room.
The company intends to provide 40 jobs, and currently operates 73 screens in Ohio and Kentucky.
This news comes after Regal Cinemas said they'd pull out of their Western Avenue location in Chillicothe this Sunday.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2004 08:38 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record, Chillicothe is about 40 miles south of Columbus, OH.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 09:12 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was last in Chillicothe back in 1976. At the time, I was a college student at Ohio University in Athens and I was working as a projectionist for the Athena Cinema, which was still a single screen theatre. A film we were running missed the bus out, and they had me deliver it to a beautiful old theatre in Chillicothe. I don’t remember the theatre’s name, but in addition to the marquee, they had an electric sign that extended across the road. The owner was an old man who showed me the booth, and was very proud that should his Kelmar sound system failed, the theatre’s original Western Electric sound system that was installed in 1929 still worked, and he could switch over with the flip of a switch.

/Mitchell

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-23-2004 03:08 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The Athena is still in business and is operated by Classic Cinemas. I think they recently renovated the theater. It is hosting the 31st Annual Athens International Film and Video Festival this week.

The theater in Chillicothe you visited was probably the Majestic, which is now closed.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blast from the past, I ran projectors for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Athens International Film & Video Festival.

/Mitchell

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Interesting! I know several companies have been looking in that area. Whats up with Regal pulling out?

Jesse Stanley
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2004 09:40 PM      Profile for Jesse Stanley   Email Jesse Stanley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Last 4 years Regal re blacktopped the parking lot put on a new roof and installed Digital sound as well as new popcorn popper and concession stand. The landlord was raising monthly lease from what I understand. I dunno if that is the whole story.
DanBarry is also looking at a Site in Athens ohio about 1.5 miles from the University. I am being told 10 screens is the idea as of right now for down there.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2004 02:47 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Martin
It is hosting the 31st Annual Athens International Film and Video Festival this week.
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
I ran projectors for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Athens International Film & Video Festival.
did they show video even back then?

carl

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2004 10:25 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they did run video. Although most of the films back then were 16mm, there were some 35mm, and some U-matic 3/4" video. The video's were not run at the Athena Theatre, but on campus.

The 2 films that most stand out in my mind after all these years are:

Punishment Park, a 16mm production about a future United States where convicts were given a chance to be pardoned by taking part in police training. They were released into "Punishment Park" where they were hunted down and killed by the police. If they made it to the American Flag at the center of the park, they won the game and were pardoned.

Images, a 35mm lost Robert Altman film. It is one of my favorite ghost stories about a young woman who keeps seeing and interacting with people she had known but died. Only she sees and hears them, which begin to cause her problems. Eventually she discovers that if she kills these ghosts, they will stay dead (but still visible to her where they dropped). Unfortunately, as she sinks into insanity, she begins to have trouble determining who is a ghost and who is real, and bumps off a few to many people.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2004 07:14 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, never heard of images. i was shocked to see it might be "lost", being somewhat recent and by a respected director, but i checked imdb where it says (under "trivia"):

quote:
# Reportedly, the film's original negative was burned by Columbia Pictures.

# This rumor, long believed to be true, has turned out to be false. MGM's home video wing released a DVD in the fall of 2003, apparently from a new print struck from an existing negative.

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: