Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Free Passes and Box Office Revenue

Author Topic: Free Passes and Box Office Revenue
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2004 11:53 AM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have to figure free passes into the total box office revenue when figuring the distribution percentage?

For instance (this will be a simplified scenario), if your tickets were all $5 and you had 10 people show up, 8 who paid and 2 who got in with free passes. Would you report $50 as your box office take or $40?

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-15-2004 11:58 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it should be $40, because freepasses do not have any cash value to them.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-15-2004 01:32 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on your contract with the distributor. Usually, you are allowed a certain number of free admissions that you do not have to pay the distributor for.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-15-2004 02:06 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is pretty much as Adman stated above. That is one reason there is usually a pass restriction on the films for at least two weeks. Any passes that would be taken on one of these I think has to be covered by the company. Only employees of the theater playing the film could see the movie on a pass and normally not on the weekend if it is selling out. But the company still has to cover that pass.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-16-2004 11:49 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pass is a pass. You didn't get the money, so you don't show it on your report as income...

On the other hand...

This makes the studios a very interested partner in how you're presenting their product... especially if you're a first-run house.

Adam is correct about the contractual limitations on passes. Generally, it's something like 2%, but it can be lower. Of course, like other discussions here regarding contract terms, this all loosens up as the booking ages. In some cases, there's some attention paid to whether it's a matinee or not.

Legally speaking, the studios want to see how many passes you issue on your boxoffice report... something that takes on real meaning if you tend to let a lot of people into your theatre for free... and the film company sends a checker to your place to verify the auditorium count against what you actually report back to them.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-16-2004 01:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up here to the north Passes must be declared for sales tax purposes as a paid admission and the tax department has been running around auditing theatre (if they didn't have better things to do)

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 04-16-2004 10:12 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you really want to know for sure, read the license agreement from the distributor in question. The license agreements, usually sent out annually by each studio to the owner or home office, are very, very specific about how film rental is calculated and the issue of passes is specfically addressed. In some cases, such as Sony Classics or Screen Gems, they use the parent company's agreement.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-17-2004 10:28 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen limits as small as 0.5% and as high as 5.0%. Thats a range of 2 up to 20 for an auditorium seating 400. If I were the studio, I would WANT to definately limit the number of passes, and be suspect of a theater that wanted higher percentages in thier exibition contracts. It would sound like either bad presentation policies, or just bad management in general handing out passes like they were candy.

Ciao

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: