Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Evaluation of myself. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Evaluation of myself.
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-13-2004 08:03 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that alot of theaters do employee evaluations to determine whether or not to give employees raises, or promotions. I have also worked for a company that had management evaluate other members of management. This was not a theater by the way. What I was wondering is, does anyone give the employees the oppurtunity to evaluate the managers. I am thinking about putting together an evaluation packet, and giving it to the employees to fill out, about me. I want to know what it is they think I am doing right/wrong, what can I improve on, and the list goes on. Has anyone tried this? Obviously this will not be used to determine how much I am paid, but I would like to use it to determine how much progress I am making with my career, and how I can become a better manager/projectionist. The owner has told me that he thinks that I am doing a good job, but he is not always here. I would like the opinion of the people that are working for me. I would also like my general manager and the other assistant to fill it out too. It will be completely anonymous, and I dont recognize anyones handwriting, so they would'nt have to worry about hurting my feelings if they think I am not doing a good job. Any opinions?

|  IP: Logged

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2004 09:23 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is a very interesting idea and a commend you on wanting to get valuable feedback on your own performance in this way.

One thing you definitely need to consider is that you might have a problem getting unbiased information. The problem with a plan like this is that employees might want to tell you what they think you will want to hear (either out of fear of retribution, or desire for favored treatment).

Secondly, do the employee's really see what you do in your position to be able to give you an accurate assessment? Do they see enough of your job to actually know what you are to be doing? Or are they more than likely going to assess you on how much they "like you" or how popular you are with the staff.

Just a few things to consider.

Pete Wolla
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2004 09:50 PM      Profile for Pete Wolla   Email Pete Wolla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the company i work for has a 400% turn over rate. i don't think the management sees this as a problem. i think this is a reflection on the managment style. the workers evaluate the managment with their feet.

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2004 12:27 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jeremy's idea is really great. Doing something like that shows that you really care about your job and your employees. I would suggest letting the employees fill out the forms anonymously if they wished to. That way, they can tell you what they really think about the way you manage your theatre without being afraid of being written up/fired.

Sounds like a great way to improve management skills and earn respect from your employees.

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2004 07:25 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A splendid proposal indeed !

Only that you must know whether how others evaluate you is fair or otherwise !

And do not do it unless you are sure you have a method available to process seemingly negative remarks about how you handle your work. That is, it would be wonderful for you and for others that care for you that you receive very positive evaluations from your people ; however, you should not do this if you have set for yourself, a condition that you cannot be happy unless everybody agrees that your style of work is the best.

And I wish to tell you that for simply starting this out, you deserve that perfect 10 from everyone involved. Go on !

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2004 09:33 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy, I know your intentions are good, but I don't think this is a good idea.

First of all, employees are just that- employees. They are not your peers, your partners, or for that matter your friends. I have always felt that you don't have to be a bastard in order to be a good boss, but you can't be a friend, either. You can (and should) be pleasant and respectful, treat all fairly and equally without favoritism, and in doing that they will respect you.

To be effective, you can welcome people's input, but don't ever have those under you evaluate your job performance. That is not their role.

There has to be some distance between management and staff. If you put out an evaluation form, some of them are going to get the idea that they are in charge, or at least sharing the power. There are other ways to show that you care about your employees.

The fact that your owner has complimented you for doing a good job, and the fact that you are posting on this forum are evidence that you are doing just fine. By all means look for ways to improve. Just don't expect those suggestions to come from your employees.

As a former teacher and currently now in management, I can assure you that a "good buddy" approach can be fatal. Be friendly, but keep your distance.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2004 09:36 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be VERY careful.... given the reasons you pointed out in
your orginal post. This is a way to open a 'can of worms' which
quite a few people could regret down the road.

fjn [Roll Eyes]

Chris Liczbinski
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2004 07:39 PM      Profile for Chris Liczbinski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only place I have seen this done is in college- teacher evaluations by the students. On one hand it is great for exposing obvious problems with certain teachers/professors, but on the other hand alot of students will rate their teacher unfairly if they have some sort of conflict with them, whether it be about a grade, attitude or any other little thing. If you want to see how it works, I would personally tell the employees to keep it anonymous. I have had people suck up to me so I would consider them to be trained in the booth because they think it is the easiest job in the theater, those are things I would want to avoid.

I have to say I am guilty of asking my booth employees (3 of them) how they like certain systems I set up such as daily booth task lists. In the end you have to know how your employees will take it, I have only asked because I know the people that I work with will give me worthwhile input on how to make things run smoothly, and in the end benefit our booth and our company.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-14-2004 07:44 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with what John Hendrickson said. If you want an evaluation look to those you answer to. The attitude of your staff and your turnover rate will tell you what your staff thinks of you.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-14-2004 07:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with only looking to those you answer to is that the people you answer to are rarely THERE. The employees know when a manager sucks ass and when a manager is good. The people above only look at numbers. If they see numbers go up, they don't care how you did it, they just like it. They won't care if your presentation is crap. Maybe you got rid of an excellent projectionist who was making "far too much" in your eyes and replaced him with a popcorn boy (just a random example). The people above you will see that the payroll is down. They will lick your ass. But the employees will all have bad morale since you are cutting corners left and right to save a dime sending them home early as possible and things of that nature, and none will be happy to work there. If an employee has a problem and you scoff at it or are unapproachable, the people above you won't know about it unless that person takes it to a higher level. Then that employee gets admonished for going over your head. You deny everything and claim you are fair. The people above you will just assume the employee is disgruntled. Not necessarily true. And certainly not fair to the employee.

The BEST method would be for the people above you to survey your employees. That would be the most fair and unbiased way. A good employee environment is essential. Without the employees, you are nothing... the theater is nothing. John and Daryl underestimate them, in my opinion. They are not "just" employees. A bad manager will not care about the attitude of their staff.

Do not underestimate the employees.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-14-2004 09:37 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea! But as others said, be very careful. It would be very hard to get a lot of honest answers from the employees. Partly because someone may be trying to get their own way, partly because they don't want to say anything bad for fear of you "not liking" them.

Just out of curiosity would you be doing this just for your own eyes or would you send the answers to your superiors?

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2004 02:26 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like some have said here, it is quite important that a certain distance be preserved between a subordinate and a superior. But most will never know what is a 'healthy' distance. And too much of a distance will inevitably do more harm than any good.

It will be important to ensure what you plan to do does not breach the ‘distance’ that others talk of. Remember that you should never make it easy for your own employees to devalue YOU, their superior. Do what you wish to do only if you are certain you have employees whose morale will be positively impacted by your doing. However, do not go by the Management literature and assume they deserve to be asked if you should correct yourself.

An alternative approach would be to ensure you are not making easier for your employees merely to judge you – to judge another is the easiest thing in the world. So, make certain you will engage them in the ‘evaluation process’ in such a way that where they express a dissatisfaction with your style of functioning, ask them to write down how differently they would do if they were the boss – that is, YOU. Also, ask them to review their alternatives and list what obstacles would come in the way of the alternative style that they themselves propagate.

Then, in order to complete your work, you will need to ask each employee to evaluate other co-employees. Alternatively, if you are not sure you can afford to subject yourself to an ‘evaluation’ you have been contemplating so far, get your employees to evaluate one another first. See how it works. Then, you will know what the whole process is worth.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-15-2004 06:36 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help guys/girls.

John said:
quote:
Do they see enough of your job to actually know what you are to be doing?
For the most part, yes they do. I work most of my shifts downstairs, and work upstairs on Thursdays, maintenance days, and every 2 weekends.

Emma said:
quote:
I would suggest letting the employees fill out the forms anonymously if they wished to.
This is exactly what I am planning on doing. I dont want them to respond a certain way because I know its them.

John T Hendrickson said:

quote:
They are not your peers, your partners, or for that matter your friends.
I have to disagree. They are my peers and partners, because they are a major part in me and the other management staff getting our job done. We cannot run the entire operation ourselves. I do agree with you that being too much of their friend is not a good idea.

Joe said:

quote:
Do not underestimate the employees.
My point exactly. I want the employees opinion, so I can provide them with the best work environment that I am capable of. If they are unhappy with something, they might not say so, but their attitude will show and the customer will see that. That is what I try to eliminate.

Rachel said:
quote:
Just out of curiosity would you be doing this just for your own eyes or would you send the answers to your superiors?
I would like for my general manager to fill it out too, and I will show the owner the results as well. If the results are negative, then that would be something that, if they were being honest, I would have done to myself. But for the most part, it is for my own eyes, so I can be doing the best job for them and the theater as I possibly can.

Thanks again everbody. Your opinions are greatly appreciated, and highly respected.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-15-2004 06:48 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy, Please email me a naked pic of you so I may evaluate you....

Yours in Christ,

>>> Phil

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-15-2004 07:04 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, what happened, did you lose the ones I sent the last 20 times you asked.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: