Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Please get me tickets at this theatre. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Please get me tickets at this theatre.
Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 02:28 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a thing I dont quite understand.

CENTURY 20 PARK PLACE.
5870 E. Broadway, Tucson, AZ, 85711

Will somebody buy me a ticket over the internet for any showing of any film for the Monday,12th at this theatre ?

This is one place that Fandango lists as all shows sold out. This has happened a number of other times too. Only with this particular theatre.

Is Fandango identifying the IP location only for queries concerning this theatre and returning the 'sold out' message. I am here in Bangalore, India and using the internet to try buy tickets of that theatre.

And Fandango never does like this for any other theatre they list.

Somebody to solve this ?

BTW, this theatre has on Monday,
18 movies playing on 98 shows.

Anybody wish to tell me this could be a top grossing theatre and that shows are generally sold out in advance here, then try your luck on my behalf for Thursday,15th or for any other future date, they have shows listed as for sale.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-12-2004 02:51 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Why do you want to buy a ticket to a theater in freakin' Tucson, Arizona, when you are thousands of miles away?

2. Do you really think someone's gonna be stupid enough to buy you a ticket?

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 04:56 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the man was asking a rhetorical question, Adam.

The issue seems to be that Fandango has a glitch involving this theatre and available showtimes, always returning a sellout for all shows at all times. He is wondering how this could be, but phrasing the question as a hypothetical.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 05:36 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a number of issues that can cause this. I am not sure what POS system Century uses, but I know that in Radiant clicking the "Lock/Sold Out" box or leaving Remote Ticketing unchecked in the Feature Scheduling section for these shows will list the movie as "Sold Out" on Fandango.

You could always call the theater and let them know there is a problem with Fandango and you cannot buy any tickets... visiting AZ soon?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 07:04 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...I am sure that everyone has noticed the abbreviation for Point of Sale is POS.... which is also short for another three word phrase that describes most of the computer equipment we use in the theatre industry...

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 12:02 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with "freakin'" Tucson? Its much better than Sacrapamento!! [Big Grin] [beer]

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 02:06 PM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Adam, isn't it horrible how close it is to San Francisco, without being bogged down by the close quarters of the city itself? Can't stand that...and there are only about 800 movie theatres around to go to...it's especially terrible for sports fans, what with the eight major sports teams within 2 hours' driving distance (Giants, A's, Warriors, Kings, Raiders, 49ers, Sharks, Earthquake). Playoff teams in MLB, NFL, NBA, and MLS plus San Francisco. A sports fan's nightmare, I tell ya.

Adam, you and I really should move, we live in a really crappy area!

Roger Katz
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 09:23 PM      Profile for Roger Katz   Email Roger Katz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! MLS is a major sport now?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 10:23 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes - apparently Soccer has really taken off

Seems real football is coming to a town near you.

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 10:29 PM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.mlsnet.com/content/02/mls0922attendance.html

The overall average attendances at MLS games in 2002 was 15,882.

According to ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2003), the average attendance at NHL games in the 2002-2003 season was 16,589 - a difference of about 700 people per game (Not a significant amount). Most people would consider NHL to be a major sport, so MLS should be included in that group as well.

Plus it being, you know, the most popular sport in the world at large. Just that nagging little fact.

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2004 11:47 PM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I expect somebody to be stupid enough to try getting me tickets from that theatre.

If being stupid is a risk one cannot assume, forget it, this topic cannot be resolved, Adam Martin.

But, why is anybody so stupid to assume I need those tickets anyway ?

All of this means, when somebody tries to procced to buy tickets for this theatre and discovers the Fandango site does not display the message that it did when I queried a couple of times for that theatre, they have then discovered that the Fandango site behaves differently for overseas IP addresses for some theatres. That discovery suffices and I expect the person who goes up to that point will stop there.

The point is this - it is not really stupid to try tickets for me. But it is pretty stupid to believe I want these tickets.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2004 05:07 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once read a paper from a research co., the jist of which was "people will travel a fair distance to go to a really good cinema". Must be a hell of a good cinema in that case, maybe a bit in excess though of the 20 minute drive rule. Still, they proably have free parking ...

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-13-2004 05:37 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, I live in London, and have travelled to see films in, amongst other places, Manchester, Southampton, York, Bradford, and New Jersey. I am flying out on Thursday next week to America, mainly to see shows in two cinemas, one in New York, and one in New Jersey. The last time I was there I spoke to people who had come from Chicago and Canada, and the Widescreen Festival in Bradford has pulled in people from as far away as Australia. If you show something special that's not available elsewhere, and advertise the show, people will travel a considerable distance to see it.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-13-2004 02:35 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I see. Well, with all the poorly worded and nonsensical threads started recently, it's getting pretty hard for some of us moderators to keep track of what's going on around here. I guess you got me. Maybe your next thread could be "Show Us Your Credit Cards".

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2004 02:09 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'BRAINKEEPER' thread is, I guess, no more nonsensical than the fact that there are lots of 'brainless' films released every week and that there are lots of people, may be even millions, who are fixated on watching these films.

The most that 'BRAINKEEPER' would do is this - such 'brainless' films are here to stay and the Exhibitor community acknowledges their presence. No matter what the critics or the media say in that regard, 'brainless' films will regularly beckon audiences at theatres for the forseeable future. So, rather than for the Exhibitor community to pretend 'detachment' from what is happening, they could openly acknowledge the phenomena and even go as far as to celebrate it. Can't they ? or shouldn't they ? After all, when there is a showing of SCOOBY-DOO 2 at a theatre, what oddity is it for that theater to also feature a BRAINKEEPER for all SCOOBY-DOO shows ?

And I wonder if poor wording or rather, simple wording should not suffice in most threads here ? Anybody doling out marks or credits for carefully worded postings here ? I am sorry, I need none of it.

And I will keep my simple ways and words. They serve me well and that is all that matters.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: