Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Wood floors for auditoriums. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wood floors for auditoriums.
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-08-2004 12:15 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just browsing through the Roxy theater website. Click here ,which is a great site. I noticed that they pointed out that they have wood floors in the auditoriums, which distinguishes their sound from other theaters. Are wooden floors better than cement floors, when it comes to sound. Or does it just enhance the vibrations from explosions and things like that.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-08-2004 01:28 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, wood floors sure make EQing the room fun. Although not as bad as bare concrete.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2004 02:02 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have wooden floors in my 1911 theatre (www.elkstheatremiddletown.com). My four subwoofers (All Bag-End 18" with 4" voicecoils) are in custom built cabinets tied in under the stage near the floor. The wooden floor definetly seems to help with the low end vibrations.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-09-2004 12:28 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is interesting that a theatre built that late was permitted to have wood floors. By the late "20s it was unlawful to use wood in floors or structure in new construction in theatres in Va. and many other states & localities.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 01:17 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regency One Theatre in San Francisco had wooden floors (don't remember if the Regency Two did or not). Both are now closed.

The piedmont in Oakland had a wooden balcony.

Nicholas Suchyta
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 01:24 AM      Profile for Nicholas Suchyta   Email Nicholas Suchyta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre has wooden floors on the main level and the balcony. It does make a huge difference when it comes to the low end sound. Compared to a few theatres with concrete floors, it sure sounds better to me.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-09-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally find it a nightmare to EQ a room that has too much or too many direct reflective surfaces. A proper EQ is nearly impossible. If you want to know if you have a good sound room, a simple test will give you a good idea...

...stand in the center of the room and clap once real hard and loud. Listen for the echo. How much time between the clap and the echo? More than a quarter of a second and it just isn't as crisp and clear as it could be.

Just my own personal thought. I prefer good clean crisp sound that is not bouncing all over the damn place. By the time it gets to your ears its all distorted and fuzzy. Best to get it straight from the source.

Ciao

dave

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-09-2004 02:33 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on what I have read, the interior of a cinema -- ceiling, walls, seats and floor -- should be acoustically non-reflective.

A carpeted floor is preferred wherever possible.

A wooden floor -- even a carpeted one -- will impose "coloration" to the sound, opening the door to possible over-equalisation.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 04:43 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Regency One Theatre in San Francisco had wooden floors (don't remember if the Regency Two did or not). Both are now closed.

The piedmont in Oakland had a wooden balcony.

The Alexandria also had wood floors, in both the downstairs and the tri-plexed upstairs auditoriums.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-09-2004 06:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A wooden floor is perferable acoustically to a concrete one any day

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-09-2004 09:23 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what you're using the room for. For listening to live music or recording, a proper mix of live and dead surfaces can greatly add to the musical performance and experience.

On the other hand, soundtrack playback should be done in the deadest possible space, virtually anechoic if possible, since all of the acoustic "space" of the playback is artificially created on the mixdown stage. Good motion picture theater auditoriums should be like good analog turntables--the only good one is a dead one.

If you're in a multi-use venue, you'll have your work cut out for you establishing good sound for each use. The demands of good live vs. good playback acoustics largely contradict each other when it comes to room characteristics. Good concert halls generally do not make good motion picture auditoriums.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-09-2004 11:17 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
But, in general, wood is good...

>>> Phil

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2004 11:56 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not when you have to pee in the midle of the night! [Big Grin]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-10-2004 12:20 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my....

>>> Phil

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2004 12:41 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah yeah, noone will believe that you werent talking about that. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: