Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Legal? Showing DVDs for free? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Legal? Showing DVDs for free?
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 04:04 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of a theater [name withheld] that is planning on showing "The Office" (critically acclaimed BBC sitcom) for free. Is this legal. I don't want to be a whistle-blower, I just want to figure out the legalities behind this. I've heard of theaters renting out their space for children's parties, where a special DVD might be played on the video projector. Wouldn't that be the same thing?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-06-2004 04:56 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a lawyer, but....

If it's a public performance, then it's not legal, regardless of whether or not admission is charged.

I don't know about the birthday party thing. I suspect that it's a grey area, but probably safest to license the DVD (unless it's a PD title).

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-07-2004 12:37 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK, if the space (the auditorium) is rented for a PRIVATE PARTY (emphasis on the word PRIVATE), then legally it shouldn't be any different than playing a DVD on the big-screen TV at home during a b-day party.

The line gets crossed if the private party screening gets 'advertised' as to imply that anyone (read: the public) can 'attend' the 'party' solely for the purpose of viewing the video, whether an admission is paid or not.

-Aaron

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 09:16 AM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Thanks for your opinions guys! [beer]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-07-2004 10:11 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that even renting an auditorium for a private party where copyrighted material was screened would be questionable. If caught, the theatre might be subject to sanctions such as removal from service by a distributor, especially since the theatre was trying to profit from showing unlicensed material. Even if the private screenings were "free", any profit from concession sales would make it a commercial venture.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-07-2004 10:57 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plus also, BBC Worldwide, the international licensing arm of the BBC which manages programme sales, are notoriously anal about protecting revenue. If the DVD this place is showing was purchased retail and they did not obtain a separate licence to screen it in their theatre, I would imagine that such a screening would probably not be legal. The licence agreements (which are often shown as the 'first play' screen on a retail DVD) are usually quite specific in stating that they only allow it to be shown in a private residence. Other group showings - even if free - are specifically excluded.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-07-2004 11:22 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what a few DVD's state on the back of their packages.

WARNING: For Private home use only. Unauthorized public performance, broadcast or copying is a violation of applicable laws.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 12:03 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One exception to copyright rules is that a classroom teacher can show a video in class if part of a one-one-one teaching experience. However, the video cannot be shown in the school cafeteria as part of any kind of reward, entertainment, etc, regardless if admission is charged or not.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-07-2004 01:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, the disclaimers (FBI warning, etc) that come on videotapes/DVDs/etc. have no actual legal validity whatsoever, apparently. They're intended to scare off potential "casual pirates," but have no value beyond that.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 02:09 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on speaking with the owner of the previously unnamed theater soon, so I'll be sure to ask him how he managed to get rights to show the DVD. I'll post what I learn.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-07-2004 02:11 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The disclaimers are just a warning that there ARE copyright laws that can be enforced. For a theatre showing unlicensed material, there are also civil penalties and business sanctions that can be invoked by a distributor.

Charles Dale Carter
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Charles Dale Carter   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Dale Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting topic that hits close to home. Would it make any difference if theater is run by a non-profit org.? And if concession sales went to benefit the operating non-profit? I, too, know of a theater that shows TV events (through a satellite TV feed) such as sporting events, races, etc. for free and charges for concessions. The showings are not advertised anywhere other than on marquee. Is this different? Is there really any legal beagle among the ranks here who can validate any of the banter here?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-07-2004 03:59 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can show broadcast programming to a crowd as long as the following is done..

You do not block out or silence commercials or station idendification...

You do not charge admission (except in the case of a private club where a cover charge may be mandatory by local law)...

You do not advertise that you will be showing any specific programming... it must be vague and not name the event or show itself... Such as a local bar here advertises that you can watch the college basketball playoffs on any of thier 52 screens, but never actually said the NCAA playoffs.

Ciao

Dave

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-07-2004 06:01 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the last big pay per-view fights that ran last year. A friend that owns a bar here in the city was going to have the fight. He called the cable company that services the area on the cost of the event. The price was $99.00 for private home use. They then asked how many people it seated and how many TV's were going tobe used for the event. So they quoted him a price of $49.00 per person for the public licensed to show the fight.
They based the per person on how many seats in the grill area and to how many TV's.

The cable company had people around the city checking on bars.

Here is a warning from MGM from the back of a DVD.

Warning: The copyright owner has licensed the film (including the soundtrack) comprised in this DVD for home use only. All other rights are reserved. The definition of home use excludes the use of this DVD at locations such as clubs, buses, hospitals, hotels, oil rigs, prisons and schools. Any unauthorised coping, editing, exhibition, public performance diffusion and/or broadcast of this DVD or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and any such action estabishes libility for such civil action and may give rise to criminal prosecution.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoke to the theater owner, and according to him/her [implication withheld], the booking of the DVD was done through their private booker. The event is being advertised, but no admission is being charged. The owner recognized the fact that showing the DVD was illegal, but assumed that his/her booker had ironed out the legal issues. After the booker okayed it, the owner put it in the calendar.

Do you think public performance rights for DVD will become more attainable now that every TV show in the history of man is being archived on DVD?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: