Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Daycares in the theater

Author Topic: Daycares in the theater
Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 01:49 AM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. I know Harkins is doing it and I have heard a few other names tossed around. Is this really a cost effective way to keep the families coming? It sounds like a great idea but what would keep the parents from leaving the theater and going to dinner then returning to pick up their kid(s) later..I guess what I'm asking is what are the ins and outs of the way these centers are run?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-06-2004 07:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were doing this, I'd sell "daycare tickets" which would only be sold with the purchase of a movie ticket. This should a) reduce the chances that the parents will go elsewhere (or, if they do, they will have at least bought a ticket), and b) provide some way of recording which film (assuming a multiplex here) the parents are attending so that they can be located if necessary.

Do they charge for the daycare (nightcare?)?

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 09:22 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was brought up in another thread a while back, but I couldn't find it.

I know when I lived in Florida, Muvico offered this service for an extra fee. As I recall, you also had to buy a ticket to be able to utilize it.

I guess it varies from state to state, but I know here in TN, there is a law that limits the amount of time that the day care can be utilized per day and per week. I think it is 2.5 hours at a time and max 10 hours a week per kid. The reason I know this is the gym I go to offers it and they always pine about how strict the state rules are for services like that... since their core business is not a child care facility. I would imagine that legally child care at a gym is not much different than if it were run in a theater.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-06-2004 11:19 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a good idea to use local area pagers like some churches and restaurants use, so that if the child needs parental attention, you can easily page the parent from the theatre:

MaxPage

quote:
Maxpage Lite is a powerful 2 or 4 watt UHF Church Nursery Paging System that can send a message to a vibration pager in a radius of up to one mile. Capacity of 999 pagers.
MaxPage Lite Desktop Paging System
Vibration Pagers (minimum order of 20)

quote:
Restaurant Paging System Special
Guest Page is a powerful 27Mhz Restaurant Paging System that can send a message to a coaster pager in a radius of up to one mile.
Guest Page Restaurant Paging System $350.00
Guest Page Extend Panel $250.00
Coaster Pagers $54.95 each. (minimum order of 35)

NTN Pagers

quote:
Church Nursery Pagers
Religious services are a time for focus and quiet reflection. As an administrator of a house of worship, you want to provide an inviting atmosphere so that your congregation attends as often as possible, including those with young children. This means you have to find a balance between a positive religious experience for families with children and the needs of the congregation for an appropriate setting in which to reflect. If you provide a nursery, childcare providers need to be able to get in touch with a child's parents quickly. That's why NTN developed the QuietCalltm Church Nursery Paging System, to provide peace of mind and security for parents and respect for worshippers.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-06-2004 02:20 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Utah the rule is no more than 4 hours straight of unscheduled or drop off style sitting per child per day. 24 Fitness has the Kids Club where I can drop the rugrats for 3 bucks for 2 hours of workout.

I can see charging pretty much the same price, but also charging a full price ticket if they bring the child into the theater. the 3 bucks will seem like a tax break compared to an 8 dollar ticket.

I like the idea of a pager system. They can leave some form of deposit such as thier drivers licence until the pager is returned and they retrieve the child.

I would also check the battery to make sure it is still there. Use rechargeables. Cheaper in the long run.

I love this idea.

Ciao

dave

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 03:42 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They can leave some form of deposit such as thier drivers licence until the pager is returned and they retrieve the child.
the kid is the deposit.

and for those parents who exceed the 2.5-hour limit, there's a hefty surcharge to get junior out of the "impound lot".

carl

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 04-06-2004 03:50 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, you want a driver's license. You don't want the kid to be permanently deposited. Good ID is essential.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2004 12:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about IDs. It seems they should make you have 2 forms of ID, proof that you're the guardian of the kid, and THEN you get to drop them off and go to a movie.

Seems to me that if all you had to do was present a ticket to a movie, it would be much too convenient for people to abandon their kids like that. Or a kidnapper to ditch the "evidence" if they became paranoid.

=TMP=

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-07-2004 10:09 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the kid is the deposit.

I have enough of my own kids. I don't need any extra ones hanging around.

I agree that ID should be left regardless of the pager idea. It does prevent any real problems such as taken babies or abandoned babies. You don't want to get into that problem. I would hold the drivers licence of the drop off parent and also use a CC video system to act as a backup incase the person disappears and the police need a good description.

Ciao

Dave

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-08-2004 08:16 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that the cost of screening potential employees, cost of the extensive background checks, the liability exposure, insurance, etc. etc. etc. would easily offset whatever additional boxoffice dollars that resulted.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-08-2004 11:56 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in utah it is rather simple actually. In order to be a day care worker you have to go through a series of backround checks and training classes before you get your state license. 24 fitness and some other places that offer a drop off child care service will only hire those that have thier proper state certifications, paid for by the employee, not the employer.

It is a good model, I do not know about other states.

Ciao

Dave

Chris Medley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2004 02:37 PM      Profile for Chris Medley   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Medley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

If word got out that parents could not have to pay up to $25 and hour for a sitter and they could just drop them off at the theater....people would flock to my theater..not to mention the non-parents who would come just because of the fact that kids wouldn't be crying or talking or running up and down...your short-term costs would be huge, but your long term success would make those costs seem minor

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: