Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Stress Relief

Author Topic: Stress Relief
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2004 01:28 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Today, whilst pondering past visits to my local drive-in theatres, I had a thought regarding the atmosphere of the drive-in theatre.

It strikes me that the Drive-in Theatre is one of the most unstressful places to be. Much is said about the unique advantages of drive-in theatres (eg you can take young kids along) however rarely do you hear about its effects on stress.

I recall becoming very stressed after the 9-11 attacks and going along to the Coburg Drive-in to gain some stress relief. Is it being outdoors, or being distracted by a movie or the community atmosphere that gives the stress reduction effect? I can't quite put my finger on why but it certainly is an effective stress tonic.

Maybe the stress benefits of drive-in attendance should be marketed more?

cheers Peter

[ 04-04-2004, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Peter Berrett ]

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2004 01:49 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a great observation Peter. Wonder if there are any folks in marketing that will be willing to try that. But let's also take a look at what causes stress. Stress by definition is the minds ability to override the body's basic desire to strangle the shit out of some asshole that deserve's it. [Wink] , So Boxing and Hunting can be stress relievers as well.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-04-2004 05:23 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie going, weather it be drive-in or indoor, has always been a great stress reliever for me.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2004 08:13 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike

Yes, I agree that hardtops too have the same affect.

But lets dig a little deeper. Exactly why is it a stress reliever?

Perhaps John Pytlak can chime in here. As I recall, 35mm film film is generally projected at 24 frames per second (as against the 50 or so on television). Although the change from image to image is imperceptible to the viewer, perhaps the flashing of an image at a certain number of times per second has a slightly hypnotic effect on the viewer.

Now from time to time there has been talk about the possible effect of including a message or picture in a single frame to try and influence viewers (ie the inclusion of secret commercial or political messages in film and tv) but (a) I don't buy this and (b) this is not quite what I am driving at.

Rather, I am emphasizing that the flashing of an image (any image) at a certain rate has a subtle effect on the viewer. Certainly the skills of hypnotism show that the use of vocal skills can be used to alter a person's state of mind. Could not the same be true of certain visual effects?

Are readers aware of any discussion about or studies conducted of such an effect? Maybe such lighting effects could be used in stress filled workplaces? i.e flash the lighting at 24 frames per second. It would be imperceptible but might create happier workplaces.

cheers Peter

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-04-2004 08:59 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Will .... I think the idea is do whatever relaxes YOU. Some people relax by skydiving, which it the act of jumping out of perfectly-operating airplanes. This would certainly not relax me. I like to work on little mechanical things so while my mind is active on the surface, subconsciously I sort of zone out and temporary forget wanting to strangle the shit out of some asshole that deserves it!

While there may be some reationship between film flicker and hypnotic states, I think if someone just likes projection and being outside, they would feel more comfortable at a drive-in.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-04-2004 01:38 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right that film is projected at 24 fps, however remember that each frame is projected twice to reach a rate of 48 flashes on the screen per second, near to exact to your television standards down under at 50 interlaced fps, here in the states we have it at 60.

However, standard tele tubes use the old cathode ray tube style of rear projection, which is very hard on the eyes. Newer sets use plasma or lcd for projection, or other means of rear projection that is not so diffucult to view.

Movie projection uses quite often a soft matte screen with xenon lamp projection from the back of the audience, so that there is no instance of directly looking into the light source itself, all of it bieng indirectional reflection, a much easier sourse on the eyes and therefore the brain.

With all that in mind, it is much easier to relax in a movie presentation at a local theater then it is at home with a dvd, unless you have the latest in DLP projection technology at home.

With all that said, I still go the movies, because it does allow me to wind down a bit.

Well except for those idiots that wont shut the hell up.

Reason to suspect that drive ins can provide a much more calming experience. You dont have to put up with others crap, and you are able to experience the movie in your own personal cars stereo, if you happen to have a good one it can be pretty cool.

Ciao

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: