Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Town Buys Portable Outdoor Screen

Author Topic: Town Buys Portable Outdoor Screen
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2004 04:09 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to my local paper, my little central Ohio suburb of Upper Arlington has purchased an 18x24' screen for $15,985. They are going to use it to show movies in the parks and at the swimming pools. So far, they have announced Harry Potter, Finding Nemo, Monster, Inc, Pirates of the Caribbean, Radio, Holes and ET.

Last summer, they rented a complete package, but the city seems to think this will be a better deal.

I don't know if they are using film or video projection, nor do I have any knowledge of rights issues. As a humble citizen, I must assume they know what they are doing.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-18-2004 07:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rights indeed....Jack Valenti will nab them, be sure of that! The City of Richfield, UT was nabbed by Disney for doing this in the park via video.

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-18-2004 07:47 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you suppose you would get for $16K? A screen with some basic framing and trusswork like you'd use indoors? If so that's not going to be sufficient outdoors. The frame would have to go against some substantial scaffolding and tied down with guys and/or some massive cast concrete blocks to resist being blown over. They have to plan for the worst case scenario.

Perhaps they are planning a permanent drive-in like installation. Might be cheaper.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2004 08:44 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure they purchased an air screen.

Harkness Hall

Air Screens . Com

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-18-2004 09:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, last time I checked, 'Movies In The Park' type shows are still considered non-theatrical, and if the rights were obtained via Swank or Criterion (for film and video) then they can be done legally... However, you mention that it was Disney who went after them in UT... Does Disney no longer do non-theatrical? I am pretty sure that they used to do n/t in the past.

-Aaron

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2004 11:40 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney non-theatrical states "No showings on Saturdays" and "No announcements/notices/ads to the public".

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2004 06:15 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screen the city bought is inflatable. From the article, "It gets down to about the size of an army duffle bag when deflated."

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-19-2004 08:11 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

They failed to do it with clearance from anybody.....

Mark

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2004 10:17 AM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last summer the Rec. dept. in my town did something like this. They hired a company from Rhode Island to come out and run the show, the company showed up with a medium-sized box truck, they set up a stage-lighting truss and hung a nice 15'x20' screen. The thing I thought was neat was that they parked the truck about 15' behind the screen, pulled a Honda generator out of the truck and opened up a porthole in the side of the truck, they actually had what appeared to be a Christie console with a 3 deck platter set up in a small booth in the back of the truck. If they do it again this year, I'll see if I can get some shots of the setup.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: