Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What gross do you give to the 'ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND' ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What gross do you give to the 'ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND' ?
Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 08:19 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I give mine here.

A 100 million plus in its entire run - theatrical, North America.

Before edit, it was 'A 100 million in its...'

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 08:37 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way - $40,000,000 at best

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 08:54 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think since it is a limited release here, maybe 20 million at best. 40 mil if it was a wide release.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-16-2004 10:08 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not your regular Jim Carrey movie. I've been running it for the last month and a half here in New York. I would say 30 and maybe top off at 40 million. But it will be a long haul to hit 40.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-16-2004 12:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movies with such funky titles as that almost never do well.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 04:54 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take at look at this web page and examine the recent box office history of Jim Carrey's "serious" and/or "quirky" movies as opposed to the wacky movies the public expects from him. I'd say the financial prospects for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind aren't very promising. There won't be any interlocking necessary on this one.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 04:55 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go again. .."projecting" what a gross will be. It will
be 'what it is... when it is'. Nothing more, nothing less.

fjn

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 01:55 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, i think Carrey's opening week will be decent. Let's not forget that this month has pretty much a bunch of crap in theaters. There is nothing other than Passion competing for those dollars. No competition for the middle aged viewers. Dawn of the Dead will atract the action crowd.

The only problem is there is hardly any tv advertising. most of the ads are for Ladykillers. Yeah, and 100M is unlikely. Punch Drunk Love did miserably despite being a very good movie. All of Wes Anderson movies havent done well despite being pretty good. I doubt this movie can break the trend by such a huge margin.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2004 11:18 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in SF it's being heavily promoted with full page color ads in the artsy street rags and newspapers...

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2004 09:54 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Limited?!? The commercials say "Starts Friday in theaters EVERYWHERE." -- usually they say Select Cities or something. Strange. But around these parts, everyone gets every movie unless its an arthouse release. There's no such thing as "limited" when all you have are 24+ screen theaters around [Frown]

quote:
Movies with such funky titles as that almost never do well.
"The Englishman who went Up a Hill but came Down a Mountain" comes to mind. [Wink]

=TMP=

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-18-2004 01:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the deal with all these long movie titles anyway? Don't the makers realize that they're going to get all abreviated to hell?

ETERNAL SUNSHINE
PIRATES OF CARIB.
LOTR:RETURN KING
PASSION CHRIST
TEEN DRAMA QUEEN

etc.

I long for the nice short titles such as "10" and "XXX" and "DR. NO". (Of course that's because I am the head of the marquee department!)

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-18-2004 02:13 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The previous two movies by this creator, "bieng john malkovich" and "adaptation", while very good movies, did not do very well at all at the box office.

What makes this movie different is Jim Carrey. He has proven that he can do serious film, and also has proven that he can do more comedy driven fare, as evidenced by his last movie and box office blockbuster, "Bruce Almighty".

Coming off of that film will definately help "eternal sunshine", as will major critical aclaim that it is getting, and the constant talk of the previous work of this film maker and that Jim Carrey is trying to get his oscar nod.

Quirky films have often started off very poorly only to surpass everyones wildest imaginations. One film comes to mind, "my big fat greek wedding". This film grew and grew and grew until is surpassed 200 million in grosses, and it took an awfully long time to do this. I didn't even see it until last month.

This film has the 'potential' to do very well, but don't confuse that with it will do well. Because the studio is putting it into much wider release than any arthouse movie would ever get shows that they are fearful that people will see it for art fare and avoid it like the plauge, missing out on a real treat of a movie.

I think it will do very well in its opening week, possibly ranging in the $20 million range, then it will hover at about 3 million a week for about 15 weeks before it hits dvd. Total grosses domestically should total about $65 million and that is a very GENEROUS estimation on my part. If it does any more than this I will torture myself and go see "idle hands" one more time and promise not to shoot myself until it is over.

Ciao

Dave

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2004 08:47 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent average per venue. Looks like it will steadily hold into week 2.

Daily Box office

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2004 11:18 PM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the prospects seem far brighter in week 2 for this film. No decrease in the theatre count.

Both Scooby-doo 2 and Ladykillers are carrying very poor reviews and even the general audience reviews for both these films are very disappointing.

Dawn of the Dead and Taking Lives are losing steam too fast and I think, the two films that will benefit out of the whole fiasco will be PASSION and ETERNAL SUNSHINE.

Per venue average on Wednesday for ETERNAL SUNSHINE is the highest of all. Already, this film is within the top 100 films of all time on IMDB.Com. Cant deny that the audience have loved this movie indeed.

So, waiting to see that 100 million for this film.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2004 07:53 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, not even close to 100M. People are not as enthusiastic about this movie as the critics even if you won't get befuddled looks like the ones you saw from the teens who went to see Punch Drunk Love. I wouldnt pay that much attention to the theater average as this movie is shown in most neighborhoods. Patrons will just try to find this movie in a theater an extra 2 miles away. This is not the kind of movie that will get casual viewers past the first week.

I think 40-50M is more likely. No way this movie makes anywhere close to 100M. I am willing to even wager money .

And Dave, I would not even classify My Big Fat Greek Wedding as anything remotely quirky like this movie. Lost In Translation needed an awards boost to up its grosses and even that movie was nowhere as complex as this movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: