Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Excessive talking during a film presentation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Excessive talking during a film presentation
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2004 02:50 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you will forgive me for bringing up this topic again because I know it has been discussed many times before but I would like to know how some of you as a member of the audience would get some people to 'Shut Up" !. I saw "TWISTED" two weeks ago and sitting next to me was a couple who kept talking throughout the performance. The wife had the biggest mouth of the two and every time she opened her mouth, her husband would respond. They knew talking in a normal voice during a movie was not proper so these two idiots kept their conversation at a whisper but it was still very annoying as hell! The signature theatre I saw the movie does not show policy trailers that remind people to keep quiet during a performance but even if they did, these people would never keep their mouth shut. I would have moved but the show was almost a sell out and there were no good seats left. I remember a time when I took two good friends, a man and his wife who were about my age to see the Civil War film "GLORY" when it was first released and these friends rarely go to the movies. Warren who was very knowledgeable about the war felt compelled to talk and I just quietly asked him to refrain from talking until it was over and we can discuss the film when we went to dinner after the movie. He obliged and one of the first things I said to him at dinner was how sorry I was to ask him to keep quiet during the movie and informed him that the majority of people who go to movies do not appreciate other people talking during a film performance. He saw my point and I think I converted him to be well mannered film patron.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-13-2004 02:55 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I sit in one of our theatres and there are annoying people, I ask them nicely if they couldn`t keep quiet. Even when you ask people nicely, they often get agressive. Then I simply call the box office and they send somebody in. These people are our customers, but they are destroying the movie experience for the other paying customers as well.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any talking during a movie is excessive. At our theatre we warn offenders to shut up once, the second time we have to go into the auditorium they are asked to leave. No refunds or passes are given.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2004 03:30 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael & Dustin,

I did go to a young usher once to complain about two kids talking during a performance and she went into the auditorium and told these two big mouth teenagers " "Will you stop taliking so THIS gentleman can enjoy the movie"? [Confused] They ignored her and I just went to the boxoffice and asked for a refund which they reluctanly did. By the way, fingering unruly movie patrons can be dangerous. What will prevent them from waiting for you in the parking lot to assult you?

It is because of the experience I had during "THWISTED" and the above incident, I watch most of my movies now on DVD at home in peace and quiet with sound almost as good as our best theatres. I am now waiting for the day when large screen Plasma monitors come down in price so I no longer will need to go to a movie theatre anymore.

-Claude

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-13-2004 04:24 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I saw "Touching the Void" as a local arthouse theater. Four people were talking very loudly at the beginning of it, and the ENTIRE audience of about 150 gave a near simultaneous "ahem" and they shut up. Of course this is an upscale theater attractive to the upscale people, most of whom do not put up with it.

however once at a showing of star trek nemesis, there was a couple that was cracking jokes through the movie. I went over to them and said "could you please be quiet, we all paid to see this movie and not listen to you". The guy told me to "Fuck off asshole, I paid to do whatever the hell I want".

I imediately got security and they removed him, explained that his behavior would get him arrested and not just expelled. He obliged and apologized to me and shut the hell up for the extent of the movie.

He even left before the lights came up. I don't think he wanted anyone to really get a chance to see his face so he scrammed.

I don't put up with it. I never have. If someone will not shut up, I will demand and get a refund from the theater and then I will promise that theater that I will do everything in my power to get as many people as possible to not ever go there again.

If a theater cannot properly silence idiots and jerks then they seem to attract even more of them. I however will get people to STOP going to that venue if at all possible. I reward good theaters that deal with it well, and punish ones that are only in this for the almighty dollar, damn the customers to hell!

Ciao

Dave

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-13-2004 04:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

By the time you had done all you can do to get theatre security to take care of excessive talkers at a movie, you would have missed at least 15 minutes of the film not to mention the couple of notches your blood pressure has risen during the unfortunate episode. I have noticed the area you see a movie can determine the type of audiance you can expect. Pacific's Kahala 16 and their Koko Marina theatres are in a rather upscale area of Honolulu and the people who attend movies at those theatres are very well mannered. The company's other theatre complex, the Kapolei 16 near me attracts a lot of people from the Waianae coast (West Oahu) and it is a rather undeveloped area of the island and many people living there are not very refined when it comes to having good manners. For this reason, there is a very good possibility of having a problem with a ill mannered person who feel he or she has paid for the right to talk during a movie. I no longer go to the Kapolei 16 because the managers have always turned a deaf ear to me everytime I complain. I now see most of my movies at Pacific;s competition, Signature's Highland and the Dole Cannery. It is a pity because Pacific does have better theatres than Signature but with the exception of my friend Alan Sakaida, their management personal is not very good when it comes to customer relation.

-Claude

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-13-2004 04:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just tell them to shut the flock up. If they keep jabbering, we will invite them to leave.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2004 06:08 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1981 or so, I saw CLASH OF THE TITANS at the (then) AMC Omni Theatres complex in Atlanta.

About 10 minutes into the movie, several locals started hooting and laughing and generally causing distractions. I went out and got an usher. He stood in the back of the theatre for about a minute. Then, he walked up to the group and told them to shut up. One of the 'patrons' stood up and said,"WHO complained?" The usher pointed at ME and said "HE DID!"

I was with 2 other friends. After the feature, we left. We had to walk about 3 blocks to our car. We were followed the whole way there by the people that were causing all the noise in the theatre.

I really expected trouble, but luckily, it didn't happen.

I never went back to the AMC Omni after that, or any other AMC theatre either.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-13-2004 08:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe these idiot ushers who point out the people who complained. When we get a complaint (which is rare), I always precede the complainer (who has told me where the noise is coming from) back into the auditorium, so when I'm telling the offenders to shut up, the complainer is getting back into their seat, so the idiots never notice who complained.

Even in a single screen, it is completely impossible to monitor the whole crowd all the time. I hate it when someone waits until AFTER the movie to tell me there were talkers. I'm more than happy to give a free pass to the complainer, but I'd much rather they complain during the movie and receive a pass, so that the REST of the crowd doesn't get their movie ruined for them.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-13-2004 10:06 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daydreaming...

How about a system of say, 3, microphones strategically located in the auditorium feeding a digital monitoring system which also gets a feed of all the audio channels. Taking into account time delays, room acoustics, etc. it would subtract movie sound and make allowances for ordinary crowd and candy wrapper noise isolating those who are talking. With multiple microphones the system could locate them give or take a seat. Beam a spotlight on them til they shut up.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-13-2004 10:10 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know that sounded like a pretty idea right up until you suggest only using a spotlight. [evil]

If somebody is talking and the theatre staff don't where a uniform I just get up and kick people out myself.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2004 10:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about some good ole' S.P.E.C.T.R.E. seats, with an usher assigned to "the red button" for the night? [evil]

AJG

John-Layton Jenkins
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 02:13 PM      Profile for John-Layton Jenkins   Email John-Layton Jenkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw Passion of Christ, for the second time, with my mother and her friend, which was their first time. Throughout the entire movie, a hispanic gentleman and his wife were reading the subtiles in Spanish to his/her mother. We were getting so pissed. If you cannot read the subtitles, what is the point of going to the movie?

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2004 02:52 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I've just about had it with going to the movies. People these days are rude and do not know how to act in public anymore. It's really sad.

And here in SF, this can be kind of a rough town. It's best not dare say anything to anyone making noise in a theatre, let alone the staff try to get involved. You can get stabbed or shot these days.

I read some of the other threads on here about theatre employees 'taking candy away from people' or 'arresting people for theatre hopping' and I'm blown away. Hah, even try any of those things here in SF and you will have a BIG problem on your hands.

I blame the violent video games, endless plethora of new media entertainment, lack of parenting, and HOLLYWOOD--> for producing and releasing such fast food crap at rapid fire, for the training of the movie going public to act this way. And since the DVD comes out after 2 months now, there is no respect patrons have for the movie house anymore. Going to the movies is not like it was in the 40's. It's just yet another venue of entertainment to throw away your money on these days. And since it's viewed as such, this is why people think they can talk and act a fool in the movie theatre now just like they do at home or on the streets.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-14-2004 03:49 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, you said customers are rude. Not only that, they are (some) a bunch of low-life filthy pigs!

Just yesterday, I noticed someone carved their name in the toilet paper case in the men's restroom. Then someone highlighted the name with fecal material, presumably with a piece of soiled toilet paper. [Mad] [uhoh] [puke]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: