Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » I am done with the theatre... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: I am done with the theatre...
Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 12:19 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, I got the axe...

Kinda unexpected, unfair, and I think I might go after them.
Mainly has to do with the remodeling and renovations they are doing in town but that's another story. It's cheaper to fire someone then lay them off.

So Yesterday after my meeting at 9am, I went out and did what most would... went on a hell of a bender. If I ever sober up and my head stops throbbing I may go look for a new job. Who knows? I may make a road trip and see some theatres.
All I know is my trip to Vegas is still on and I hope to see everyone there.

Not sure when I will post again, as I don't have a very full schedule, but I have lots of fun ahead of me this week!

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-11-2004 12:22 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to file for unemployment. If you were full time and they just up and fired you you can draw it and they have to pay it.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 12:30 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to visit the theater once it's remodeled and defacate on the seats and carpet. If you were a good employee and they just up and fired you you can expunge it and they have to clean it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-11-2004 12:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly DON'T follow Thomas's suggestion or anything remotely close to it. All that would do is make them glad to be rid of you.

If you handle things rationally,

- You might get asked to come back
- You might get a good recommendation
- You might want to actually go to a movie there sometime

Don't burn your bridges.

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 12:47 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For obvious reasons I won't mention names, but a plex near me told the head projectionist last Thursday (AFTER he was done with the show change that is) that his last day would be Sunday at midnight. It will be manager-candy boy operation from now on.

A nice cost-cutting measure I suppose for the company, but when that equipment burps and crashes...

I can't wait.

Best of luck to you Travis, hope things work out okay.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-11-2004 01:18 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck in finding a new career. [thumbsup]

As Mike says, as bitter as you may feel, don't burn any bridges.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-11-2004 01:53 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about that, Travis. I know how scary that is. If they let you go because they're remodeling the theatre, then it sounds like you have a job waiting for you. Did I read you correctly?

Regardless, apply for unemployment insurance asap, because it takes some time to go through the red tape.

And, if you've really just had it with the business, you could do what I did: get on UI, apply for a federal job retraining grant, and go to truck driving school! I'm not making as much money as I did as an engineer, but it's not bad, and the benefits are better. Plus, you never have to worry about not being able to find a job.

Good luck to you, I wish you all the best.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-11-2004 02:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would absolutely go file for unemployment at the first opportunity you have! File on the same day you were fired if you can!

1) It ensures that you get the money flowing as soon as possible. You payed taxes. You earned it. You need the money to live on.

2) It brings the issue of your termination to light as quickly as possible. If you were unfairly terminated, or even unlawfully terminated the authorities need to know this as soon as possible. If you have a case (I'm not saying that you do) it needs to be heard now, while everybody's memories are still fresh in their minds... And your employer doesn't have time to dream up excuses.

You aren't out to "stick it" to the employer. You just want to get your money that you deserve and set the record straight. Later on, if/when you need to list this employer as a reference you need to be able to show that you were not at fault.

See if you can get the company to say that you were permanently laid-off.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 02:35 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And getting plowed helped you to accomplish what?

Sorry to hear about your job loss. But talented people are always in demand. It may mean relocating. Good luck.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-11-2004 02:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Massachusetts, at least, an "at will" employee may be fired at any time for pretty much any cause. Unless the employee can prove discrimination or prove that the employer made a promise of continued employment, then the employee has no real case. The best that one can hope to do is preserve his own reputation (request a copy of your employee file in writing--in most states, the employer is required to provide it; check to make sure that nothing untruthful is there).

If offered severance payment, do _not_ accept it unless you are completely comfortable with all of the conditions in the agreement. This is essentially a bribe from the company for you to not sue them, so be very careful here. If in doubt, don't sign anything. Don't forget that they owe you for any unused vacation days, usually payable immediately upon termination.

I was fired from my day job about a year ago, apparently because the employer wanted a "yes man" instead of someone who questioned existing practices which were likely to cause security and stability issues with their network. The whole affair was handled very poorly (the guy who fired me did so over a speakerphone!), and they tried to get me to sign away my life (well, almost) for a lousy two weeks' severance (I didn't). I ended up spending about $1000 in lawyer fees (mostly consultation time and letters to my former employer), which was educational (I don't regret doing it), but ultimately nonproductive. I never did sign the severance agreement (and am glad I didn't). Don't hesitate to go for unemployment benefits; you've paid into the fund through payroll taxes levied on your employer and you deserve your share when you are unemployed. Don't let pride or politics get in the way of getting what you are legally entitled to.

The end result was that I spent about three months on unemployment and ended up with a much better job.

Whatever happens, good luck!

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 04:25 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Travis,
Sorry to hear about the termination. Read what the others have said.. and I sent you a private email as well.

Between Thomas' 'shit in the seats' retaliation and his 'if you aren't a customer, you aren't shit to me' concepts, I'm really left to wonder just what type of person he is... [Roll Eyes]

Bad judgement gets you nowhere.. but it will get you there pretty fast from what I've seen...

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 05:53 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about your current employment situation. Far too often executives look at employees as liabilities instead of assets, meanwhile executive salaries and bonuses are at an all time high.

One misconception that even employers have sometimes, is that by someone drawing unemployment that it is drawing money from the company that they recently left. However unemployment is paid by (at least in most states) by the company, but at the beginning of their employment into the government pool. So by drawing unemployment, you're just getting money that the company already paid. They wouldn't see that money again any ways. Definitely register with your unemployment agency as soon as possible. The money from it may not be near what you made before, but a little is better than none. Also if you do decide to change careers, take advantage of any type of grant, training etc. Its all stuff you've already paid for!

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-11-2004 07:36 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Travis: I'm sorry to hear of your situation. Hang in there, your will find another position in the field that you enjoy. Just go out and pursue it! Many others have posted great words of wisdom for you. I will not preach, but I agree with most of them.

But, please do not take Thomas' suggestion. As others have said, it is totally ill-advised. Wait until you become an old fart like me before you burn your bridges! [Wink]

Also, be careful when you go out on a binge. You should wear a shirt like:

-

Or you might wind up like this:

-

>>> Phil

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-11-2004 08:14 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very funny, Phil [Smile]

Travis,

I was very sorry to hear about your employment loss. You are still a very young man and I know you will be blessed with better jobs in the future. I also faced the same situation when I was very young but I did something with my life by becoming self employed and doing something I enjoy. If you make an effort to better your life, I know you will be rewarded with the better things life has to offer. Keep your chin up and by all means, do not follow Thomas's advice.

Good luck to you!

-Claude

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-11-2004 09:03 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stay cool, Travis. From my experience when it comes to jobs, sometimes what may seem bad in the short term turns out to be a blessing in disguise in the long term. I experienced that when I walked out on MTS years ago and again, when I walked out on Plitt. Same held true with Regal. I am certainly not a corporate person, never have been, and never will be.

I once worked for a company where I did get canned but that, too, was a blessing in disguise. The owner of that company was a total asshole. I was actually happy I got fired. [Smile]

Stay in contact with all of us. Next time I travel to West Fargo, I'll stop in if the road timing is right and have a cup of coffee with you. Last time I went, I wanted to stop in again and see Mike in Forsyth, Montana. But that didn't happen because I rolled through his town at some stupid time of about 0300 in the morning. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: