Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Mona Lisa Smile on DVD already

Author Topic: Mona Lisa Smile on DVD already
Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 11:48 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, first it was Lost In Translation on DVD while it is still in the first run theatres.

But now, after only being released in theatres on 12/19/03, Mona Lisa Smile is on DVD already, 2 1/2 months after its release!!!?

We're all going to be put out of business. How can theatres compete with this? Forget trying to open a new movie theatre on your own now. You won't make it.

My blood is still boiling about the Lost In Translation thing, and now this.....

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-07-2004 01:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I think NATO should start worrying about the video window again. There sure isn't much noise being made about that now that Digital [dlp] is occupying all their attention, along with the failed trailer-volume thing.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2004 03:02 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not like Mona Lisa Smile was making any money anyway. We dropped our print after 2 weeks, taking it down to one show the second week...

But Lost in Translation was BS.

=TMP=

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-07-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's "Mona Lisa Smile"?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-07-2004 05:38 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Mona Lisa Smile' = 'Julia Roberts Frowning'

The first Julia film in a long time to tank.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0304415/

Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2004 04:02 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again with Return of the King.
It will be released three months ahead of schedule on May 25th.
Will the discounts even have it by than?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3542123.stm
The Return of the King, the last in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, will be released on DVD and video three months sooner than expected.

The film, which won 11 Oscars last month, will be released on 25 May, producers New Line said.

The date is three months ahead of the time the first two films were released in 2002 and 2001.

An extended version of the film - including previously unseen footage - will follow at the end of the year.

The initial DVD release of the film will include the film, as well as a 20-minute theatrical trailer and a range of behind-the-scenes material.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2004 04:16 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and in which theater was this 20-minute "theatrical" trailer shown, i wonder?

carl

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2004 12:55 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WTF?!?!

We were planning on this being our big summer movie!! We were going to get TWO PRINTS for a SUBRUN!!!

[Mad] This is the thanks New Line gives us for running Texas Chainsaw for 15 weeks! [Mad]

Oh, and does anyone buy New Line's spiel that "All of the extended version 35mm prints have been destroyed."? Yeah, They struck all those new prints just to destroy them. Hollywood lies.

=TMP=

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2004 01:47 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something else that was mentioned in the same LOTR article was that they are going to offer some kind of box set for all three films combined but it wont be available for two or three years because they want to add some stuff to make it "special".

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-08-2004 02:47 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That 20 minute trailer was used for critic and exhibitor screenings and Sci-Fi Conventions screenings. I ran it about 10 times for select people and critics that New Line wanted to screen it for. The original "Lord of the Rings" had a special trailer that ran 25 minutes, that I ran also too.
Studios make special long versions of trailers for high profile type films. These trailers are used for special type showings. Sometimes stockholders meetings, ShoWest, SciFi conventions, exhibitor screenings. Most of the time only screening rooms get to handle these trailers, not regular theatres.
I still have the 25 minute version here and a 6 minute original "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" special trailer and a 7 minute original IB "My Fair Lady" trailer and a 5 minute special trailer for "Heavy Traffic".

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2004 03:53 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the info, bill (happy 1000th). i knew there were trailers in the 5-6 minute range, even have some. but 20 minutes i would have called a "featurette", maybe.

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: