Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Andy Rooney Rails Against Cinema Commercials (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Andy Rooney Rails Against Cinema Commercials
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-29-2004 07:01 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rooney's piece on 60 Minutes tonight was harping about cinema commercials. He made the usual points about people going to movies to get away from commercials and while tv runs them it's also free; you get 60 Minutes for free in exchange for viewing 15 minutes of commercials. The piece included an odd interview with one of the Syfuy brothers of Century Theatres where Rooney was pretended to talk to him over the phone cut together with footage taped of Syufy in his office (maybe Rooney didn't want to mislead anyone that he had actually gone there). Century doesn't run commercials; says it's ultimately counter productive. Piece ended with the typical demand that exhibitors tell the public when the film will actually start.

Web version

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-29-2004 07:29 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windows Media Video archived here.

Article / Commentary:

quote:
(CBS) A weekly commentary by CBS News Correspondent Andy Rooney.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are several things we do in this country better than anyone else. One of them is make movies.

They produce a lot of junk in Hollywood, but they also turn out a few movies every year that are good entertainment and real art. They call it cinema when it's art.

I don't know why it is, but whenever one person does something well, someone else always comes along and tries to get in on a good thing with a bad, moneymaking idea.

I don't go to a lot of movies, but the last few times I've been, the picture didn't actually start for 15 minutes after they said it was going to. The first thing you have to sit through is the advertising for what they call "coming attractions" -- their next five movies. Wouldn't an ad for just one be enough?

The editors who make these trailers seem to think violence will get people to come to a movie. They have tumbling car crashes, great balls of fire, walls of sand and sword fights. There is never any intelligent dialogue in any of them.

Now, movie theaters have started doing something even worse to delay the start of the picture you just paid $9.00 to see: they show actual commercials. Don't they understand that's what we go to a movie to get away from - commercials?

At least on television, you get to watch network shows free in exchange for being advertised at. None of us like it, but it's a deal we accept. You get 60 Minutes for nothing, but you have to watch 15 minutes of advertising.

Why should we have to watch advertising before a movie we paid to get in to see? Just tell us what time the show starts. That's when we'll come.

Ray and Joe Syufy, two brothers in San Rafael, Calif., run the seventh largest movie chain in the country. They don't use commercials in any of their theaters.

I called Ray Syufy and asked him why he’s one of the few theater owners who doesn’t run commercials before the feature film starts.

“Our viewers. That’s a false economy. People will stop going to the show potentially as often as they do today if it’s not a different enough experience,” says Syufy. “So we are committed to no TV commercials in our theaters. It doesn’t make much sense for them to be sitting in our theaters and being sold toothpaste.”

There ought to be a law that a movie theater has to say exactly what time the show starts. If we want advertising, we'll stay home and watch it for free on television.

Written By Andy Rooney © MMIV, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-29-2004 10:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But what he doesn't get is, if we advertised the exact starting time of the feature, then a horde of cretin idiots would show up 15 minutes late for THAT time, hoping to miss the opening credits. Never mind that there aren't any, usually anymore.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 03-01-2004 12:10 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
if we advertised the exact starting time of the feature, then a horde of cretin idiots would show up 15 minutes late for THAT time
Maybe... but they'd only do it once.

We run about 10 minutes of trailers & policy snipes before our shows.... no advertising. The only exception has been the academy awards trailer they sent out this year. Our customers know that a 7pm start time means the show generally hits the screen no later than 7:10, and tickets are available for that show until 7:20. While much different than what Regal or AMC does around here, it's a consistent policy that our regulars know and expect when they come to our place. Regal and AMC's regulars probably know what to expect from those outlets, too.

Robert D. LaValley
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2004 01:29 AM      Profile for Robert D. LaValley   Email Robert D. LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to places where there were no trailers all the way to places having almost 40 mins (I kid you not) of trailers and advertisement.. To each his own.. I think it could be done in such a way to make everyone content. Regal I think changed their policy now since they started the regal 20. advertised showtime is when the trailers hit the screen after 20 min of advertisement.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2004 02:04 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Rooney and in my planned operations there will be NO commercials and no more than two trailers. If I can't make it pay with my booking and concessions then I'll close my doors before I resort to insulting the public by making them giant TV sets.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2004 06:30 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why should we have to watch advertising before a movie we paid to get in to see?
What Rooney doesn't understand is that the advertising is helping you pay for the movie. People complain enough about the price of movie tickets - how about we take away advertising, double the ticket prices and then see how the public likes it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-01-2004 07:56 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So why is it that theatres that show advertising don't have significantly lower prices than theatres that don't? If the advertisements really subsidized the ticket price, then I would expect to see one level of pricing for theatres which do not show any ads, another level for those which show slides, and yet another (much lower) level for those which show both slides and film ads. Tickets at Regal should be free. (Although, in fairness, I should admit that I haven't seen the "Twenty" show yet.)

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-01-2004 08:25 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a great experiment to run a bunch of popular films on two screens each with simultaneous showtimes and sell tickets with maybe a buck difference in the price, the higher price being the commercial free show.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-01-2004 09:33 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason that the Syufy's can get away with the loss of commercial revenue is that they actually own the great majority of thier buildings and land, and therefore have no landlords.

They also have more staff on hand with the resultant money as well.

Thier philosphy has always been to build when the money was available, not when they wanted a new theater and the bank was willing to loan you the cash in exchange for your first born son.

With the way the splits go now, the way they have been running things have definately helped them stay on top of the market.

As for anyone else running commercials, well, I am sorry Mr. Rooney, but I don't know ANYONE that goes to the theater to avoid commercials. Last I checked, they go to watch movies. He also failed to point out that the movie was not interrupted for commercials, just delayed for a few minutes.

So why is HIS time so valuable. Why is anyone's. I mean the vast majority of movie goers are NOT neurosurgeons or congressmen, so whats a few minutes? I patiently wait and even comment with my partner about them as they run, as do most people. It even gets most peoples talking fits out of the way before the movie begins.

I used to go into the theaters on sold out shows and have people stand up and get thier wiggles out before the movie. NO KIDDING. People loved it. They were like kindergarten children that needed to be worked out before nap time.

Ciao

Dave

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-01-2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see someone try Steve's experiment. The only time I've ever heard a number associated with advertising revenue, it was something liek "$50,000 per year" for a 10-plex. I don't know if this included film ads or just slides. Anyway, assuming that this number is in the ballpark, that works out to something like $13-14 per screen per day. Divide by three shows per day and we find that it brings in fewer than $5 per show. Assuming that the average number of customers per show is a (conservative) twenty, we see that ticket prices per show should be $.25 less for the theatre with ads versus the theatre without ads. I would pay the extra quarter for an ad-free film experience and I bet that many (most?) others would as well. If advertising brought in enough revenue to cut ticket prices in half, I might feel differently, but for a lousy $.25/ticket (or less, most likely), ads just make a presentation look tacky.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2004 01:39 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit:

My apologies for editing my posts. I was informed by my employers that I am not allowed to discuss anything pertaining to operation, proceedures, profits, or wages of the company I work for on this or any other public media. Please note I was NOT aware of such a policy, so I apologize for the disruption of the thread.

Thanks for your understanding on this. -Wolff

[ 03-02-2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Wolff King Morrow ]

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2004 01:55 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert LaValley said:
quote:
I've been to places where there were no trailers all the way to places having almost 40 mins (I kid you not) of trailers and advertisement..
40mins?? That is bullshit. I would be having a few words with the General Manager over that.

They must be making a killing off slides and commericals, they are including the smaller slide projector " ports " in some of the newer builds, and not installing curtains.

I seriously doubt that they are using the revenue to " help keep the ticket prices down ". That is VERY wishful thinking.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2004 02:22 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do run some slide ads before the show from 6:56-7:00 pm at our one screen and have only had one complaint about them in the 4 years we have run them. We run 0-2 trailers and the feature always starts by 7:05. I can say that advertising has kept our prices down, we have only raised our price $1.00, up to $6.00 in the past 10+years. The cost of doing business has went up MUCH more than about 20% in the same amount of time.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2004 02:18 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"For example: Ever notice on cable channels there are dozens of "paid-programming" commercials at night? Shouldn't they be paying that to me since I'm the one paying the cable bill? Instead, money comes in from both the customer AND the programming. It's a double-screw-job if you ask me."

Which is something I've never understood for 20 years- why pay for TV with just as many commercials as regular TV, and content getting to be the same as well, and onscreen logos on top of that? Just say No to cable!
Admission prices for movies should be under $5 if they are going to be preceeded by paid advertising. The UA's in the area added commercials but prices have only gone upward (and apparently they still can't afford to hire anyone who knows how to properly run the booths, either.) I certainly haven't agreed with everything Century's done in the past, but to speak out against ads is a great move on their part that can only bring in more customers (though they don't seem to mention that they have slide ads, and were one of the first companies to have them).
BTW has Andy Rooney ever done anything on his show about the CBS logo being onscreen all the time? That's THE reason why I quit watching TV altogether (and decided not to pursue working in that business), commericals or no commercials.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: