Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Employees clueless about booth importance. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Employees clueless about booth importance.
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-27-2004 11:59 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I couldnt find a thread on this, but I just wanted to complain about regular floor employees who just dont understand the importance of the booth at all. I get pretty frustrated when things go wrong in the booth, just like the rest of you, but when an employee says something like "whats the big deal", or "why are you freaking out" it makes it even worse. The other day, the owner of the theater brought a big group of friends, family and people from his church to screen The Passion. So naturally, whatever can go wrong does. First I start it, and it is out of frame slightly, so I turn the knob, but I turned it the wrong way, so I had to turn it all the way back around to get the picture centered. So I fix that. I check the sound and picture and platters for a while, then head to the auditorium to check there, when an employee tells me the owner said that it is out of focus. So I go all the way back up, and the little arm that keeps the turret from opening was not in place, causing the lens to shake a little bit. I ran the show the night before, to avoid all these problems when they were gonna be here, and not a single thing went wrong. So when I finally get downstairs, an employee has the nerve to ask me "Why are you all stressed out for?" I just walked away. Does this ever happen to any of you, when the unexpected happens in the booth?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-27-2004 12:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please fix the "teaser" subject header.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-27-2004 12:27 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, fixed it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-27-2004 12:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, you are a crappy moderator. If you had been doing your job, you would have moved this to the Film Handler's Forum or at least Ground Level. Hmmm... which forum? I guess Ground Level.

Scott = BANNED!
Thread = MOVED!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-27-2004 12:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of people who work downstairs, especially young males, think the booth is just one big play room with a lot of neat toys. Many times, I believe, that attitude people cop with you comes from "sour grapes" jealousy. It's usually those very same people who think a movie projector is like a big, giant VCR... press "PLAY" and it runs itself.

Neither do they WANT to lean about the booth nor do they have the "mental bandwidth" to learn. It's this kind of person you should keep out of the booth. It is also this kind of person who is most vocal in downplaying the work you do up there.

The best solution to people like that is to simply turn your back on them and walk away without saying a word. They aren't worth the time or trouble to explain things.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-27-2004 01:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this one on next time, tell the usher "ok, let me go screw up the film so you can deal with those 400 angry customers". See if the look on their face doesn't change a little bit.

This works even better at movie grills. When something goes wrong with the film....NO TIPS FOR THE WAITSTAFF!!! At that point not only are they having to deal with angry customers, but it directly affects the money they make. Suddenly a bit of respect for what the projection staff does hits.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-27-2004 01:48 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it hits really fast at the movie grill.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 02:16 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First I start it, and it is out of frame slightly, so I turn the knob, but I turned it the wrong way, so I had to turn it all the way back around to get the picture centered. So I fix that. I check the sound and picture and platters for a while, then head to the auditorium to check there, when an employee tells me the owner said that it is out of focus. So I go all the way back up, and the little arm that keeps the turret from opening was not in place, causing the lens to shake a little bit.
Jeremy, not to pick on you, but everything you listed here is basically your fault. Take it as a learning experience. These are things you should of noticed and or been able to avoid to begin with.

If you had checked the position of the framing knob and or intermittent, you would have known it was at one end of it's travel, before you threaded. And the next question is, why was it so far from centered to begin with, someone regularly threads out of frame?

You should of double checked the turret catch before pressing the start button.

Etc.

It's good that these things churn your stomach, but it can be avoided.

You'll save yourself from the need to purchase tums on an ongoing basis. [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-27-2004 02:24 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you are right, it was all my fault. And yes, my backup projectionists threads out of frame alot, after I showed him how not to. All that should have been avoided, it was before that showing, and it has been after that showing. I dont know what happened, there is no excuse, so I wont try and make one up. It just makes me look like I dont know what the hell Im doing, and then to have someone ask me why Im stressed about it. I guess, because to them its a job, but to me, this is my career. All that a few days after the owner said he wants me to take some courses to learn tech stuff, so I can be the tech for his theaters. I know it doesnt seem like it from my mistakes in my post, but I am alot better at my job than that. Just chalk it up to experience like you said. Thanks.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 02:45 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, that's a good attitude... [Wink] [Smile]

fjn

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 03:11 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good attitude indeed. [thumbsup]

Jeremy, Its best to try to learn to not let mistakes stress you out. That increase's the likely hood of screw ups. Keep your wits about you at all times. It may help you avoid a major catastrophe on a really bad "booth" day. Remember, [bs] happens. And if you can make yourself treat mistakes as simply a learning experience, you can train yourself to handle practically anything.

Hope your employer appreciates your attitude and conscience.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-27-2004 10:08 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy...

If you have time (or can make it), I'd resist taking anyone's work for granted, especially since you know you have a problem with the quality of your "backup's" operating technique. I don't just walk up and start a machine that someone else has threaded without giving it a quick once-over first... and we have a very short list of people who are even allowed within sight of our projectors. It doesn't take me long to verify that a machine was threaded up correctly, but I do it just the same.

In your case, it sounds like 30 or 40 seconds looking over the machine before you started it would have minimized the problems you wound up having to fix... and were possibly blamed for.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 11:42 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People do make mistakes, not really a big deal in itself.

What would be a big deal is if YOU saw the problem and didn't care enough to fix it.

On occasion I too make mistakes. I would say 1 of every 100 threads would start out of frame, usually because I forgot to set the intermittent to rest before threading. I want to slap myself everytime because like everyone else has said, if I would have checked it wouldn't have happened.

Anytime you start a movie whether there is noone, one person or 1,000 people it should be as perfect as you can get it.

I always get upset a little when my boss tells me corporate is coming for a visit and that everything needs to be perfect. My presentation is going to be the same in an empty audiorium as it would for the CEO.

Jesse August
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Jesse August   Email Jesse August   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
Why run a show when the theatre is empty?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-28-2004 07:14 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not? Electricity is cheap, and you're not using much with the lamp off and the sound system left in non-sync. Why risk having your schedule thrown off by somebody showing up late with a ticket (or someone/something selling somebody a ticket late).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: