Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » A case for why Mel Gibson should break another Hollywood formula and should .... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A case for why Mel Gibson should break another Hollywood formula and should ....
Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 07:26 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A case for why Mel Gibson should break another Hollywood formula and should please some/many exhibitors and patrons.

Well, the topic did not indicate anything about DTS. But this one is essentially about it. About the DTS Audio Discs.

There has been so much discussion so far on whether Studios should let needy exhibitors download DTS audio files off the net and burn their own discs.

The time to put that longstanding demand to fruition has now come, I think.

We all know that so many are people are visiting theatres to watch PASSION for the first time. If they were to visit halls that feature DTS only (which, in my guess, amounts to several of them) format and find that the sound playing there is no digital thing (as their own experience, not as being told they are not hearing good enough sound), these folks may not be excited or pleased much about their turnaround.

Exhibitors in the North America have every responsibility to please such rare folks. The least that can be done by exhibitors is to play the film only in digital sound. All those exhibitors that need the DTS discs are definitely not served with discs, even when they do put in a request for it.

Is it not this just the right time to ask Mel Gibson to break inertia and irrational fears among Hollywood studios by himself enabling North American exhibitors to access the DTS audio files of the PASSION from the internet and download the same where needed. Of course, stringent protocols and standards will need to be put in place. The argument has never been about it. Because there can be no argument over it.

There are strong indications that the turnout for PASSION will hold on for several weeks. So, it is never too late at all to do it.

Besides, unlike any other film produced before, the language in this film comprises of two dead/extinct/dwindling languages and so, any executive that excessively worries about the sound content becoming available to pirates should know that this movie is a different bird altogether. I admit however that the soundtrack sales for PASSION has skyrocketed since the release of the film.

But then, fears of content becoming available to pirates is simply exaggerated when it comes to denying exhibitors the opportunity to play films with DTS discs, primarily because the proliferation of DTS discs simply happen on the day of release itself and the problem is simply one of non-reach of discs to needy exhibitors. We should always know that making content as such, available online is no more dangerous than the proliferation of discs such way.

A time always comes to cast off all that is irrational and stands in the way of serving a genuine need. Lets ask that PASSION pave the way this time.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-27-2004 07:56 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound does indeed puts this presentation over with digital sound clarity and directional effects used effectively. Mel as the copywrite holder of the soundtrack could do anything he desires ( it is his money and not having to deal with scores of studio hierarcy )just as the marketing push for Jurrassic Park by Mr.Spielburg put digital sound into the wider marketplace. I feel that the present first run situation are recieving DTS disks. Markets such as India where local distributors or Real Image, the agent for DTS, may not get the direct follow through from the foreign filmmakers, it will be up to the local exhibitors to be up in demands to play this in digital. This film should do well in your market since the "Passion" message would hit home with a person's purpose in life as the central point to temper the visual and aural violence.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-27-2004 12:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I simply cannot understand why DTS can't put disks in with every single print. If the record industry can move up the release of the latest "Korn" CD by two weeks due to an internet leak, and manage to get millions of copies into stores with a week's notice or less, how hard could it be for DTS to get 4000 or so sets of disks made up and to the film depots? I mean, the film labs can do it with film reels...why not the CDs? In this day and age of global commerce it should be a snap.

Unfortunately, since DTS has apparently chosen to silence itself on this board for whatever reason, we'll probably never get an answer.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 03:43 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is one of many reasons why Dolby Digital wins.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-27-2004 05:11 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and should stop using teaser titles.

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 11:08 PM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I guess this movie will do very well in India. The last several years have been disastrous for Hollywood fare in India. However, the need to market this film in India is very much present and Mel Gibson may have to come down to India himself and promote his film. But then, the choice of the distributor for this film will make all the difference in how well the film reaches out to the people. I am sure that with Mel travelling to India to promote his film and with the securing of a proper distributor here, this movie should easily remind Hollywood about the potential the Country has to ensuccess a foreign film.

Piracy is very strong in India, though it is difficult to believe that the same offers much explanation for the disastrous performance of Hollywood films in India (Indian films are even more pirated - the rate of piracy for Indian films is several fold higher than for foreign films). So, PASSION may have to be brought into the country sooner.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 11:26 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone else tired of threads about Mel Gibson or Passion of the Christ?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-28-2004 08:05 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blasphemer! [evil]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-28-2004 08:39 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
News bulletin....Chris Hipp cast by Mel Gibson to play in the 2005 prequel - Jesus, The Young Carpenter [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-28-2004 09:27 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,
Except the sequel with Chris hipp will go directly to DVD and in the movie he will be using all DeWalt tools to do all his woodworking jobs.
As a side deal he will also be doing alot of DeWalt TV commercials featuring scenes from the movie.
Mark

Bob Peticolas
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2004 03:49 PM      Profile for Bob Peticolas   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know who Chris Hipp is, but I would vote for Tim Taylor and a complete collection of Binford tools. The spin-offs could be endless.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2004 12:13 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see someone has sub-titled the film as "The Jesus Chainsaw Massacre"

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2004 01:44 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come children, follow me to the tool corral.

You guys shouldn't say stuff like that about me. I used to have my hair much longer and everyone would say I looked like "Jesus." I use quotes because smart people know that the Anglicized appearance of the popular Jesus is false. Needless to say I formed somewhat of a messiah complex from it.

Hopefully, before I go bald, I will get a new job and grow my hair out again. If my brother's dome is any indication that gives me about six months.

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2004 09:37 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, PASSION exhibitors in the US are getting their DTS discs ! Is this true ?

Then, I think we should extend this concept to Europe and to Asia. Provided, exhibitors from these parts speak on whether they are served or not !

Daniel Braun
Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2004 11:27 PM      Profile for Daniel Braun   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Braun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YOU PEE PEE HEAD! WHAT IS GONE WRONG IN YOUR LIFE?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: