Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Audience Reactions to THE PASSION (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Audience Reactions to THE PASSION
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 06:35 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in hearing how audiences are reacting to the film. It also might be interesting to compare the reactions of church audiences to the general public. What are you hearing from your patrons? Any walkouts over the violence? Are some groups bringing young children?

I think you are going to be seeing some people in the theatres who haven't been to a film showing for a long time.

|  IP: Logged

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 09:37 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The newspaper reviews have not been generally favorable. They warn of the extreme violence and state the film should have been rated NC-17. I too am very interested hearing audiences reactions to it. (I personally hope it angers enough people to cause a backlash against the film, and the bad word of mouth spreads quickly and the film is gone in two weeks and Mel Gibson never works in Hollywood again.)

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-25-2004 10:34 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Eric, is the film that upsetting to you, or do you just have something against Mel Gibson?

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 10:49 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh neither, I just think it's funny when the media over-hypes something and it ends up being more negative than positive in the end. (i.e. Matrix Reloaded). Don't get me wrong, this film is great for business!!!

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 02-25-2004 10:58 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ok. Its gonna be great for business for everybody. Its definitely gonna help us through this otherwise slow time of the year. Like Mark said, we are going to have people at the theater that have not been in a while. A great presentation is the key to keep them coming back, and thats what Im hoping for. A reaction to the presentation as well as the film.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 01:58 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far and the 1st show is still running, The Passion of the Christ is a popcorn movie.

Our percap is $2.14 for the 10:30 AM show. Normaly our percap is about $1.65 and in the morning it is a lot lower. Lots of people bought large popcorns.

Audience reaction to follow.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-25-2004 03:09 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

I beg to differ when you said the newspaper reviews has not been favorable. "THE PASSION OF CHRIST" so far has received about 70 percent favorable reviews from the press. The only unfavorable comments I have been hearing has been the use of excessive violence depicting the way the Lord was beaten and nailed to the cross. What is most impressive is the acceptance of the film by the various church organizations after viewing a rough unfinished version late last year. I have also heard how people just sat there during the credits and applauding when the film was over and some leaving the theatre in tears. Personally, I would like to see this film succeed and I am very happy the hype the movie had received so far will help the film achieve that goal.

Like you, I have not yet seen the film. With all of the positive praise the film has received, I am looking forward to seeing it hopefully this weekend and I know I will be very touched by the suffering our Lord has been subjected to during the last hours of his life on Earth.

-Claude

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 03:19 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rotten Tomatoes reports the film has 39 positive reviews out of 74, for a 53% positive rating.

Rotten Tomatoes Link

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 03:35 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reactions, most church goers are shocked & awed, much like reactions coming out of Pvt Ryan

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 05:42 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt Drudge has this to report. Hope none of you were involved in this:

HEART ATTACK DURING 'PASSION OF CHRIST'; WOMAN PRONOUNCED DEAD AFTER VIEWING FILM IN KANSAS
Wed Feb 25 2004 16:09:33 ET

KAKE TV in Wichita, Kansas set to report a woman, in her 50s, suffered a heart attack during a morning screening of Mel Gibson's controversial film PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

"She later died at the hospital," a station source tells the DRUDGE REPORT.

Scheduled to be lead story on the station's 5 PM news. "She went into seizure during one of the film's most dramatic moments," a station source explains.

The woman attended a 9:30am screening, first public viewing at Warren East Theaters in Wichita...

Developing...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-25-2004 05:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be just coincindence.

There's no telling where you'll be when you kick the bucket. The odds say one of the more likely locations is the toilet. How embarrasing. How often do people expire in movie theaters?

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2004 07:12 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The audience leaving our first show was absolutely silent. I don't think I heard a single word spoken, they just all sort of filed out with their heads down.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-25-2004 07:58 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, I thought you worked for an imaging concern?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-25-2004 08:58 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure which of the several TPOTC threads to put this in. Anyway all the local TV stations ran stories on this tonight, including interviews with patrons exiting the film. Amazingly, one station had about 20 seconds of footage of the film running, video'd right from the screen. It looked surprisingly good too. Someone call Jack Valenti!!

(I'm not gonna tell you what theater it was though)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-25-2004 09:05 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, which station was it?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: