Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » ONE SHEET POSTERS

Author Topic: ONE SHEET POSTERS
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 05:12 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know the best way to hang a one-sheet poster in a backlit showcase so it sits nice and flat and doesn't move.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 01:06 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell us more about the poster case. If it's designed correctly, and no parts are missing, it's a piece of cake to get your wish.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-24-2004 03:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two words: Scotch tape.

If you just rely on "friction" from the diffusion sheet and the clear front plexiglass or whatever, the sheet will slide down. One small piece of tape at each top corner is all you need. The tape can be carefully removed if you want to archive the poster later (or, heaven forbid, sell it).

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 02-24-2004 06:27 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on whether these cases are inside or outside (how cold).

If it's cold, you'll find yourself swearing at scotch tape in no time.

Since the sight of damaged or wrinkled paper of any kind drives me absolutely insane, I prefer to avoid tape altogether. Which is why I prefer to use magnets to hold up posters in cases (or in / on anything else). If your case doesn't already have a metallic strip across the top (and bottom if you want), it isn't hard to attach one. Then you just use a flat bar magnet to hold the poster in place.

Some places get too cold for some magnets to hold in the winter... which is when I resort to small black paper clips (the ones with the arms).

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2004 06:46 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The poster cases are outside(sub-tropical weather where I live)and they are made of aluminium frame with a clear perspex front.We have 2 aluminium strips on the inside of the case door where we slide the poster and a thin sheet of perspex(behind the poster)up into position then we wedge strips of plastic on either side to hold the poster and thin perspex in place.It holds tight for a while then the poster wrinkles or moves slightly out of position.The idea of the magnets could be the trick,all I'd have to do is glue to metal strips(top and bottom)as Daryl mentioned.Anyone else have different ways of holding posters in showcases?

[ 02-25-2004, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: Ian Bailey ]

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 12:32 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the posters in the direct sun part of the day?

If so, it will be hard to stop them from wrinkling.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-26-2004 03:40 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got dozens of poster cases in direct sunlight at various locations. As long as they are secured by magnets at the top and bottom and moisture doesn't build up in the case, there is very little wrinkling. None that you'd notice from more than a couple feet away. I find securing the top and bottom (basically keeping tension on the sheet) is key.

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2004 03:48 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't anyone like to use SUPERGLUE??? [Big Grin]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2004 03:56 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine still in the business uses this, and it works great for just the use you described. (If the link dosn't work, Google "blu-tack"). Hard to say if it's available down there, but it's worth looking for. Just a little blob in the corners does the trick.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 02-27-2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That stuff is basically Lepage Fun-Tack... sold pretty much anywhere you can find office supplies.

Beware that the stuff basically eats through paper over extended periods of time... but nothing that would bother most people.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: