Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Spanish Translations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Spanish Translations
Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 09:46 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know the translations for the common projector set up? Like how do you say platters or dowser or payout head, etc. [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2004 11:27 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are kind of close to mexico...

There isn't a chance you are trying to train an illegal immigrant in your booth??? [Wink]

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 02:24 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
damn you caught me [Eek!] nah, just trying to hone my skills in spanish. the dictionaries arent helping me. next i'll be asking for russian translations [beer]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-20-2004 02:41 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Learning languages is a great hobby, but how likely is it you will need these words in a Spanish conversation? Anyway, carry on, and here is a German word to motivate you: Umlaufblende (shutter).

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 03:39 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
danke [beer]

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 04:33 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to try a translator like babelfish. They suck for fully structured conversation, but are great for single word translations.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-20-2004 11:40 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use SystranSoft.com for language translation when I need it.

You're right, though. It's good for single words or short sentences but it just comes out all wrong when you try to translate anything more than that.

I am reminded of the old Monty Python Hungarian Phrasebook Sketch.

The REALLY funny thing is that I found this article on Yahoo.com.

It seems like somebody out there really DID publish a bogus phrasebook and Japanese tourists really ARE saying weird things in English!

Actually, the story turns out to be a hoax... but it's still funny! [Big Grin]

quote:

All Weekly World News News
More from Weekly World News
• Feature from the WWN
• WWN WebGuide
• Subscribe to the WWN
Bogus Dictionary Lands Tourists In Trouble!
Thursday December 4, 2003

A practical joker has stirred up trouble by publishing a Japanese-to-English phrase book with incorrect definitions for every phrase!

Now thousands of Japanese tourists who've painstakingly studied the bogus dictionary in preparation for trips to America are arriving on our shores only to encounter blank stares, hysterical laughter or even brutal beatings as soon as they open their mouths.

"The man who compiled this dictionary clearly went out of his way to wreak havoc," says New York hotel concierge Jacqueline Porseman, who arranges tours for many VIP guests from Japan.

"For instance, when the Japanese think they're asking 'Can you direct me to the rest room?' the book actually has them saying, 'Excuse me, may I caress your buttocks?'

"And, the phrase for 'I am very pleased to meet you' is given as 'My friend, your breath could knock over a water buffalo.'"

At least 50,000 copies of the book have been sold in Japan in the past year and while the Japanese government has pulled the plug on further sales, copies still turn up in used bookstores and bargain-hunters snap them up.

"This is not a funny matter to us," says Hiro Suzuki of the Japanese embassy. "Our citizens who look forward to a pleasurable time in America are being laughed at, spat upon, roughed up and humiliated without knowing what they said wrong. Tourists have been found beaten to a pulp on street corners with this terrible phrase book still in their hands."

Among the nearly 2,300 incidents reported to the embassy:

* A 29-year-old Tokyo man visiting San Francisco for the first time meant to ask a female store clerk, "May I please have film for my camera?" But what he actually said was, "Would you place your copious breasts in my mouth?" He was slapped in the face, then got tossed out by the manager.
* Four family members from Osaka were thrilled see their favorite American singer coming out of a ritzy store in Beverly Hills. While waving frantically, they shouted out what they believed to be, "We love you so much." Unfortunately, what they really said was, "We're here to take your head." The four were arrested and detained for six hours by police.
* A 45-year-old tourist from Okinawa looking for the legendary Apollo Theater in Harlem thought he was asking a group of young men, "I am lost. Which way is uptown?" In reality, he said, "I know martial arts. May I kick your ass?" He was chased five blocks before being rescued by police.

No one knows who's behind the elaborate hoax. Some suspect the editor-publisher of the book, identified only as "M.L. Tanaka," is a disgruntled former Japanese tourism official. Others insist the culprit is a U.S. autoworker who lost his job to Japan in the '80s.

Says Porseman, "If it's an American, I wonder how 'funny' he thinks it would be to visit a Sumo wrestling gym in Tokyo and think he's saying 'You guys are the best, keep it up,' when he's really saying, 'You have fat butts. Sit on my head.'

"It's not so amusing when the shoe is on the other foot, is it?"

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/wwn/20031204/107055000003.html

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2004 06:58 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dated a chick last month who spoke fluent Spanish but was Scotch-Irish and German. Would have stayed with her if she would just quit smoking. Oh well, her loss.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-21-2004 01:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best idea is that they learn English and all the words needed that are related to being in the booth before they are hired...before they are allowed to even come here for that matter!

Aaron, I had a girl friend like that once....smoked like a chimney...yuck! Cigarette smoking babes could actually be an interesting thread here.....

Mark

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 04:06 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Would have stayed with her if she would just quit smoking.
No shit Aaron. Nothing turns me off more than an attractive young lady sticking a nasty ass cirgarette in her mouth then wanting a kiss afterwards. Might as well just pucker up and smootch an ashtray for that matter.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 06:00 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
he he. word.

carl

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 06:24 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
¿Tan ha llegado a ser esto un hilo acerca de besar a mujeres que fuman? Yo lo pensé era un hilo acerca de traducir la proyección palabras relacionadas en al español.

Si, odio a mujeres que fuman también. ¿Por qué parece ser las mujeres calientes que fuman?

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2004 08:02 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Show-off!

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 11:36 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He probably went to dictionary.com and used the translator there to come up with that. Right Ian?

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2004 11:58 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Es la verdad que no me gusta la fumada de los cigarillos. Es un olor mal. Pero lo tolero porque mi madre y mi novio fuman.

Creo que no es muy dificil a traducir palabras de proyección al español. Tiene que buscar en un diccionario.

Busqué rapidamente, y encontré este:
shutter (photog.) -> obturador

[Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: